The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Nikon Medium Format Lens?

Swissblad

A provocative proposal Marc, yet I wonder how many users would be willing to think outside the box concerning new gear.

I guess what we need is something like the original HB 500, which was completely revolutionary at the time, or indeed the Leica M.

Both were game changers.

Any ideas of where the future could take us?

Swissblad

Perhaps this is an indication of possible future trends:

Whither Nikon? | byThom | Thom Hogan

At this point I'll be surprised if the D5 in August 2015 has a mirror. I'll take a wild stab at this right now even though we're still two years out: 24mp, mirrorless, augmented PD on sensor, 3m+ dot EVF, 30 fps silent electronic shutter, 12 fps+ mechanical shutter. Anything less than that will seem like a let down.

fotografz

A provocative proposal Marc, yet I wonder how many users would be willing to think outside the box concerning new gear.

I guess what we need is something like the original HB 500, which was completely revolutionary at the time, or indeed the Leica M.

Both were game changers.

Any ideas of where the future could take us?
Well, I do have an opinion on that subject ... as I'm sure most others also have:

We "Traditional" photographers don't get it ... the future already happened :facesmack:

History is a great teacher.

There has always been two parallel worlds in photography ... the "real" game changer in photography was the Kodak Bownie invented in 1900 ... fundamentally the historical equivalent of today's cell phone camera.

The Hasselblad 500 and Leica M probably would not have existed without the Brownie, and cameras like it, drawing in enough people to be interested in photography. In essence, the Hasselblad 500 was a high end, high IQ "Brownie" in basic concept. The more revolutionary camera was the Leica because it was so small. Both were based on the use of better optics than any "consumer camera" offered. Leica and its' rival Zeiss, were optics companies, not camera companies ... and basically still are.

So, today's "game changer" is the cell phone, not cameras as we think of them. The difference between the Brownie and Cell Phone camera is that the Cell phone is everywhere, all the time ... because it is a multi-tasking tool.

The Hasselblad 500 (and cameras like it) became the "living dead" well over a decade ago, clearly indicated when wedding and event photographers in-mass switched to 35mm SLRs, then to 35mm DSLRs. The cost of adding a smaller format digital back to these MF 2 1/4 cameras was prohibitive, and remains so to this day. The Leica M survives on because it is a mirror-less rangefinder, and small with great optics ... the very reason it was invented in the first place.

Flash forward to today ... Cameras are now computers. So it stands to reason that computer innovation is the future of photography. Nikon, Canon and Fuji do not make computers. IMO, it is only a matter of time before a combination of computer hardware, firmware and software obliterates cameras as we now know them. Personally, at my age, this doesn't concern me all that much ... maybe the ONLY advantage of advancing age :eek:

In the meantime, I predict smaller cameras with big sensors, fatter pixels, and ever better optics (already happening) ... all designed around wireless transfer to web sites and social media. The trick will be to have an obvious and demonstrable visual improvement over the cell phone camera to the "common eye", while offering the same instant gratification, sharing and convenience. To date, the camera companies have not been successful at doing this, and sales of 4/3 cameras have not met expectations. If and when they fix that, I think bigger sensor/fatter pixel/killer optics cameras with some sort of Wi-Fi ability to upload to the web will cannibalize 35mm DSLR sales in mass. I'm already seeing a shift in wedding photography to smaller mirror-less cameras that make great images, and that trend will gain momentum exponentially in the next few years. NO ONE wants to lug around a brick anymore.

The real future of photography as we think of it lies in the eye and brain of those blessed with artistic talent, a well honed eye, and a ferocious creative drive. The innovation of tools will come to mean less and less, and the innovative, insightful image more and more. IMO, there will be a huge amount of casualties in both companies and users as the great divide relentlessly continues ... the homogenized masses all made equal in the democratic world of photography on one side, and the few truly creative visual innovators on the other side ... which when you think about it, isn't anything new ... it is just re-adjusting to the more normal balance that existed before.

One thing is for certain ... the future isn't what it used to be. :)

- Marc

Swissblad

Marc

I really like this statement:

The real future of photography as we think of it lies in the eye and brain of those blessed with artistic talent, a well honed eye, and a ferocious creative drive.

Now let me grab my Brownie and go and train my creative eye...;)

fotografz

Perhaps this is an indication of possible future trends:

Whither Nikon? | byThom | Thom Hogan

At this point I'll be surprised if the D5 in August 2015 has a mirror. I'll take a wild stab at this right now even though we're still two years out: 24mp, mirrorless, augmented PD on sensor, 3m+ dot EVF, 30 fps silent electronic shutter, 12 fps+ mechanical shutter. Anything less than that will seem like a let down.
Speaking of speculative rumblings and rumors here's an odd one from what is fast becoming a "Zombie" camera company in the minds of many photographers:

Inside source rumors point to a new product planned for next year from Hasselblad. "Something totally new, unlike anything out there now". Perhaps the good belly laugh over the Lunar fiasco, and the impending demise of this great marquis are premature? Could it be that madness was just a stop-gap to milk the Brand for cash while something else was being worked on? Maybe jettisoning many former Hasselblad employees is actually putting into practice what Thom rants about regarding Nikon in your linked article?

Perhaps THIS is the real Sony connection? Sony DOES make computers, is already a leader in mirror-less, and is a sensor maker ... not to mention, has some sort of relationship with Zeiss.

Now wouldn't that be a big fat surprise?

- Marc

fotografz

Marc

I really like this statement:

The real future of photography as we think of it lies in the eye and brain of those blessed with artistic talent, a well honed eye, and a ferocious creative drive.

Now let me grab my Brownie and go and train my creative eye...;)
Oddly, that very premiss was forwarded in the 1940s by a Pro photographer named Bret Hardy that worked for the influential British photojournalist magazine "Picture Post". He contended that an expensive camera wasn't needed for quality photographs ... and proved it by taking photos with a Brownie. Of course, it was his highly devloped eye that did the shooting, not the camera.

- Marc

fotografz

Hi Marc

Thanks for drawing my attention to Bert's work - well worthwhile studying.

There is a nice selection and commentary here:

Bert Hardy's photographs - in pictures | Art and design | The Guardian

Interesting to see that he was one the 1st Leica users as a photo journalist - revolutionary at the time. We have a lot to thank Oscar Barnack for.
This is one of the "demo" shots with the Kodak Brownie he used to illustrate the article for amateur photo enthusiasts:

Latest news, world news, sport and comment from the Guardian | theguardian.com | The Guardian

- Marc :)

Swissblad

This is one of the "demo" shots with the Kodak Brownie he used to illustrate the article for amateur photo enthusiasts:
Aw, Marc, you just want us all to have a Brownie....that's fine, just remember I like mine with fudge.....:)

Just a note of caution - like many of the snapshots of that period - it appears the photo was staged: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownie_(camera)

Having written an article in the 1940s for amateur photographers suggesting an expensive camera was unnecessary for quality photography, Picture Post photographer Bert Hardy used a Brownie camera to stage a carefully posed snapshot of two young women sitting on railings above a breezy Blackpool promenade.[2]

This was not uncommon - Ruth Orkin's "american girl in Italy" springs to mind: http://www.orkinphoto.com/photographs/american-girl/

BTW - I think we need to move this to the sunset bar... I will start a new topic there:

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sunset-bar/48550-iconic-photographers.html#post537839

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Here comes a confession, and now I feel like a complete ignorant:
Those 10 photos by Bert Hardy are some of the best, most meaningful I've ever seen, and honestly, I hadn't even heard about him until now. Great inspiration. Next stop: Wikipedia :)

Lightleak

Nothing serious, I guess Nikon is just building a digital rangefinder camera with hybrid viewfinder like the fuji X100s, more compact than a Mamiya 7II but with a Sensor size of 55x44cm and 80 Megapixel. A set with the mentioned lens will sell for just below 5000 Euro and is going to be available at the next Photokina.

Never give up hope!!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It suddenly strikes me that, if the mirror goes, and it will sooner or later, keeping the F-mount doesn't make any sense anyway, since new cameras will probably have a much shorter flange to sensor distance. And with a new mount, Nikon is free to choose any sensor size they want, with larger being more likely than smaller. For those who want small, there's already the 1 with a sensor that is large enough for any amateur use.

It suddenly strikes me that, if the mirror goes, and it will sooner or later, keeping the F-mount doesn't make any sense anyway,
What I assume would be possible is a new mount for new lenses, with an adapter (that adds flange distance and preserves electronic and mechanical connections) for all the F-lenses.

This could allow Nikon to shed the shackles of retrofucus lenses without abandoning its mission of a backwards-compatible system.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
What I assume would be possible is a new mount for new lenses, with an adapter (that adds flange distance and preserves electronic and mechanical connections) for all the F-lenses.

This could allow Nikon to shed the shackles of retrofucus lenses without abandoning its mission of a backwards-compatible system.
Correct, and they already did this on the 1 System.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
(...) Seen from that perspective, a larger sensor Nikon with a new mount would make perfect sense. Leica and Pentax are already active in that category, which I would rather call "High End DSLR" than MF. (...)

or how about "Adult Format" for everything digital larger than 35mm .-)

ondebanks

Nikon did some MF lenses in the past - for Bronica and probably others with different labels. They KNOW how to do it.

here you will find all the infos
Zenza Bronica

here is a list from there for all the Nikkor lenses they had.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan
And don't forget the Nikkors on the 1980s Plaubel Makina 6x7cm rangefinders - 80/2.8 and 55/4.5.

Ray

ondebanks

but with a Sensor size of 55x44cm and 80 Megapixel. A set with the mentioned lens will sell for just below 5000 Euro and is going to be available at the next Photokina.
A half-meter wide sensor? Get your 16x20 inch ULF view cameras ready, folks! :LOL:

Ray