The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Afi 5 firewire problems

fotohoernchen

Hi,

about six months ago I bought a used Leaf Afi5 system with which I'm quite happy with after many years of Rollei usage (SL66 and 6008).

One thing which I don't get to work anymore is the firewire connection.

I connected the back to a Windows 7 (64bit) PC running Capture One Pro via a FW400 interface and adapter 400-800. Capture One Pro recongnized the back and noted that a new firmware should be downloaded. I accepted the download and the firmware of the back was updated. Afterwards the back was running with a new GUI. So far so good.

After some weeks I wanted to try tethered with Capture One and the camera but I did not get any connection. Even the windows device manager was not showing anything.

Phase One support was not very helpful. I got mainly the remark, that my firewire interface is the rootcause of the problem. I tried two windows computers, I got a Phase One prooven firewire interface card, I tried a MacBook (without Capture One) but I never got a firewire connection anymore.
I reseted the back to factory setting but nothing changed.

Did the firewire interface in my back die somehow or has the new firmware some issues with the Afi5 or do I have to configure something?

Has somebody experienced a similar issue?

Best regards

Theo

Geoff

I've had similar issues. Putting a power source in the middle of this helps make problems go away. Do a search on firewire and power sources on the forums to find recommendations.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
In my experience, in order of likelihood, firewire connectivity issues are caused by:
- insufficient power (get a high quality powered hub)
- bad cable or too long a cable (use only Leaf 15' cables)
- software/OS issues (epsecially with Windows)
- digital back hardware failure

The digital back hardware failure is not impossible; I've seen it once or twice a year, but it's the least likely cause.

Speak to the dealer from whom you bought your used back. They will surely help you with diagnosing and fixing the problem for you; it's their job! :)

Also, not clear what you mean "I tried a MacBook (without Capture One)" since you can only tether WITH Capture One.

Easiest way to test your back if it's working is to plug it in with a good condition 15ft Leaf firewire cable to a rear port of a Mac Pro running 10.7 or 10.8 and the latest version of C1 (7.1.3 as of today). To be clear it should work on a large variety of computers/OS/C1-versions/FW-ports etc, but if you're in "I need to know if my back is ok" mode then this combination is the most likely to give you a false-negative.

shlomi

It's most likely the cable.
Get a new original Leaf cable without an adapter.
If that still doesn't work then the back's comms are probably shot.
IMO not very likely a PC problem.

Try two cables, two computers, two backs and then you'll know for sure which one is the culprit.

fotohoernchen

Hi,

many thanks for your hints.
I used the cable supplied with the back but I will try a different one. I will also try to get a MacPro running OS-X 10.7/8. I will also look for intermediate power source. The current firewire interface card has an additional power supply connector which I connected.
When I meant "I tried a MacBook without Capture One" I connected it via the firewire cable and expected at list the camera be listed as new device. But to be honest I'm not familiar with OS-X and the owner of the MacBook was also not familiar with firewire connected cameras.
The strange thing is that with the old Digital Back firmware the back connected via firewire to my windows PC without issue. It's just now after firmware update.

yaya

From the main screen on the back select Setup, then Power (at the bottom) and check that it is set to FireWire as opposed to Camera Battery. Then plug it into your PC
When you plug it in does the Orange light come on? Can you hear the fan spinning at all?

If none of the above, change it to Camera Battery and plug it in again

If none of this helps contact your local/ nearest dealer and ask them to lend you a powered FW repeater. This will rule out any power issues on the PC and if the device manager won't see the back it will likely mean that the back needs to go in for a service check

Hope this helps

Yair

Last edited:

fotohoernchen

Hi Yair,

As fas as I see I do not find a "Power" menu.

When I select "Setup" I get the following Screen:

In the "Camera"-"Camera-setting" I get the following Screens:

and

When I plug in the firewire cable the back starts up and the LED is green.

But no Connection to the PC.

I had the hope that there is a hidden menu for firewire enable/disable in the new Firmware but probably have to face the Situation that the back is faulty.

I have ordered a powered firewire repeater but not much hope.

Thanks for all your good hints.

EH21

Hi,
What's interesting to me is that the power setting feature is not shown on your screen shots. Here is a picture of my AFi-ii 12 screen where you can see the power menu, bottom left. I thought at first this was because you have your camera set to work with a Large Format camera instead of AFi, but tried that setting on my back and the power button was still on mine. Hmmm.... Are you using the Leaf cable with the L-shaped end going into the back?
When you connect the back to the computer with the firewire cable do you get a message "Waiting for connection... Tethered mode."? Also have you formatted your CF card according to Leaf specifications and have the card in the camera?

Last two things - you can't access the power settings screen with the back tethered to the computer. You have to reach that when the back is powered up with a battery - don't know why. If you are looking for that setting with the back connected via firewire you won't see it.

My back does not show the little green icon of an electrical plug on top right side of your image. This could be because your's is an early AFi 5 and mine later model and different from each other.

fotohoernchen

Hi,

now I see whats meant by the power butten, it never appears. Also not when the back is powered by the Afi camera battery.
Yes I'm using the Leaf cable with the L-shaped connector going into the back.

When I connect the firewire cable, and I have the back switched off than the back switches on but no message.
When I connect the firewire cable and the back is on the Afi and switched on and powered by the camera battery I do get nothing.

I tried it with CF and without. I tried it with CF card newly formated.

I think I should send the back to service.

Does anybody have experience with Leaf service here in Germany? Should I better contact Calumet or Photouniversal?

Best regards

Theo