The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

p65+ and view camera / tech camera

mm111

Hello gentlemen,

Last week I obtained a p65+ back.
Already I am blown away by the results on my rz67.

I am looking to mount it to a view camera for interiors & tabletop/ macro.
I was recommended a Sinar X and a Cambo wrs.

My questions are:
1) I'm not sure of the lens mount names, can I use the same lenses on both these systems?

2) I see my p65+ back already out-resolves the Schneider 35XL lens (max recommended sensor is 37x49mm). Is this also true of the Scheider 120 macro and other lenses. How should I select the lenses appropriate for p65+ resolution?

many thanks for your help and many apologies for my naiveté
all the best from nyc
MM

studio347

I have used it with sinar X and P2. No experience with Cambo. As long as you can get a used X with good working condition( tight focus knob...), it should be good enough for typical still-life shooting. (But still, don't trust the on-board bubble level on the sinars. I use separate/good level to insure the parallelism of lens plane and capture plane...) You need a sliding adapter(phaseone adapter is better), and a bag bellows..
I'm happy with 120 schneider macro(f8 or f11), 100 schneider digitar(f11 or f16) with it. I heard that the new schneider 120 ASPH is better, but no experience. I heard that Rodenstock 100 HR is better, but it has very tight image circle. So, it might be an issue in some cases. For me, I want to try the new schneider and see the difference from the usual schneider 100 digitar or 120 N digitar. I'm expecting a bit better image quality, but not sure how much... So, here again, the best & expensive and the second best & cheaper choice... :)
I have a feeling that the new schneider 120 ASPH might be the best normal(a bit longer side) lens for P65+ with a tech camera in the typical still-life setting now.

Last edited:

mm111

i have found a local rental company to supply p2, p3 and Schneider 120mm f/5.6 Apo Digitar. i will check out the other macro lenses you suggested !

studio347

only schneider 120 macro digitar is macro lens which is good above about 1:4 magnification.
The others are normal lenses which is good for less than about 1 : 4 magnification.
I'm not sure about the new schneider 120 ASPH...

mmbma

For interior/macro, you should go with a view camera rather than a pancake technical camera. You'll have more freedom which you'll need. Mounted on a tripod indoors size and weight won't be an issue. Also cheaper. A linhof 679 is pretty awesome for pretty much about anything

alajuela

Hi

For Table / Top - you would probably be better better off with a view camera.

For interiors allot of people use tech camera, the Cambo RS is great - so is the Arca Swiss R line. - I think tech cameras are the sharpest.

Keep in mind for tech cameras you have an added expense of mounting the lenses in the makers mounts to fit their cameras.

For View cameras

I would also look at Arca Swiss - they have 3 lines, all good, F line ( a little lighter - but very strong I put a 1.5 kg lens on mine with no slop in the mounts)

The M line which is a bit heavier and more robust

Then the M2 - sorta in between

The F and M have full movements on the front and back standards and M2 is sightly limited, more like a tech camera.

For digital - Get metric -- it is very good - I would say necessary (geared movements)

Have fun!!

Phil

ps - Get a sliding back, you can check Kapture Group. If you are in the USA - Capture Integration has demos for both Arca Swiss and Cambo 23 models

Last edited: