The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One Multisync Plug Suppliers?

• Thread starter carbonmetrictree
  • Start date
C

carbonmetrictree

I've been playing around with my multimeter during the holidays and have created my own multi pop exposure box for multiple exposures with a Phase One back. The multi pop box tricks the back into thinking it's taking a long exposure, allowing one to fire a leaf shutter lens multiple times on one frame.

I'm looking for more multisync plugs to produce more of these to sell, if anyone would have a contact or a supply of plugs to play around with, please let me know!

Thanks,

Andrew

C

carbonmetrictree

Thanks for your reply.

Here's the multi pop box supplied at CI. I'm looking for that particular 8 pin connector to plug into Phase One digital backs.

Andrew:

Do you have a picture of the connector? When looking to make a remote cord for my Leica, I found the connectors were originally supplied by Binder. I was able to order directly from Binder-USA. They make a lot of the smaller connectors and there is a chance they may make the Phase one.

http://www.binder-usa.com/

http://www.binder-connector.de/

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Andrew you can always purchase if you cannot find the connector the Phase One 50300143- Sync Cable long for Phase One P 20 / P 25 and 4X5", which has a MF connector on one side and a pc sync on the other and modify that. They sell for about $60 each.

Will your design offer any advantages over the Kapture Group Box? Looking forward to seeing what you have come up with.

Lance

Lance, do you have any information if there is a straight version of the connector avilable because the rectangular connector is a pain to use when you want to put a camera like the Alpa with the Phase back connected into a camerabag because it sticks out and will be broken shortly.

Wolfgang

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Lance, do you have any information if there is a straight version of the connector avilable because the rectangular connector is a pain to use when you want to put a camera like the Alpa with the Phase back connected into a camerabag because it sticks out and will be broken shortly.

Wolfgang
Wolfgang,
Not sure what you mean by the rectangular connector . The ALPA grip , KG box and Phase Cables all use the same 90 degree angle MF connector that looks like the one in the photo below.

Lance, that´s what I mean- theMF connector is 90 degree (rectangular), so it reaches out behind the P-Back when in place and is exposed to damage when I carry my camera on a neck strap or try to put it into a camera bag without disconnecting the MF connector. Would be fine if there would be a straight ( 180 degree) connector avilable to avoid that situation - maybe something like your stressbreaker for the X-sync (sync saver)

Best regards Wolfgang

C

carbonmetrictree

Thanks for the input Lance, I'm still searching for manufacturers to purchase the plug from. I dismantled the $60 adapter, and there is really only $3 in parts. Though, I might not be able to purchase it anywhere else if it is an exclusive plug design.

Wolfgang-

I'll make a note if I can find a lateral plug- I have also had concerns of the plug weakening the port because of how the end of the terminal sticks out and jabs my side. I've looked into the sync saver idea, but it looks like no one has manufactured one at this point. I would be glad to create a few adapters if I can get my hands on a male and female multisync plug for the backs.

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Thanks for the input Lance, I'm still searching for manufacturers to purchase the plug from. I dismantled the $60 adapter, and there is really only $3 in parts. Though, I might not be able to purchase it anywhere else if it is an exclusive plug desig.

It is called a 8-pin Hirose connector.

Here is a link to the manufactures site:
http://www.hirose-connectors.com/connectors/H204ProductList.aspx?c1=HR12&c3=3

Also another distributor:
http://www.ccddirect.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=17632&cat=266&page=1

Let me know how you make out.

Lance

C

carbonmetrictree

Lance, my friend, you are awesome!

I'll keep you updated on my ideas - feel free to send me any if you've got any requests.

Andrew

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Lance, my friend, you are awesome!

I'll keep you updated on my ideas - feel free to send me any if you've got any requests.

Andrew
Andrew,
Not sure if this may interest you, but there is a SDK available.It seems you have some interest in the customization of the Phase One platform.
Most of it is software based, but there is the detailed Electrical interface description.

Here are the features of the classic version:

Phase One SDK Classic
Part number 77154001
Price: $ 995 / € 750
Includes:
• Documentation of the Capture One COM Interface in PDF
• Code examples in Microsoft Visual Studio C++/MFC
• Mechanical drawings of interface to standard camera houses
• Electrical interface description

Lance

Hi Andrew:

I had designed and had Kapture Group build one these things, posted here in this thread. Lately I've been using the sort of built-in option that's part of the wake-up cable. If you press the wake-up button once as usual and then press and hold the button in you can take as many pops as you like until you release the button. The only advantage of the multi-pop box is the fact that you wouldn't have to hold the button in the whole time. Does that accomplish what you were thinking?

C

carbonmetrictree

Thanks for the SDK info Lance. Things are pretty preliminary at this point, but I'll definitely look into it once I get things sorted out.

Jeffrey- I would love to have both versions created if possible. I'm working on miniaturizing the components for a smaller form factor and will look into possibly integrating the multipop function with the One Shot from KG to streamline the process of capturing. Are you using a momentary, normally closed SPST or DPDT switch for your setup?

Thanks,

Andrew

Hi Andrew:

I had designed and had Kapture Group build one these things, posted here in this thread. Lately I've been using the sort of built-in option that's part of the wake-up cable. If you press the wake-up button once as usual and then press and hold the button in you can take as many pops as you like until you release the button. The only advantage of the multi-pop box is the fact that you wouldn't have to hold the button in the whole time. Does that accomplish what you were thinking?

C

carbonmetrictree

Hey Lance,

I emailed Hirose directly and they do not have anything manufactured in the style of the particular plug. They said that it could be a custom built plug, which would be a reason why they cannot pull it up in their system. I'll be looking at more manufacturers to get more information on it later this week.

Andrew