The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Removing lens on 500CM

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
A friend of mine has inherited a Hasselblad 500CM, but he can't remove the lens. Apart from cocking the shutter, is there any other tricks that he might have overseen?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
A friend of mine has inherited a Hasselblad 500CM, but he can't remove the lens. Apart from cocking the shutter, is there any other tricks that he might have overseen?
There is a small mechanism you can turn by inserting a screwdriver in from the rear (through where the film back goes on).

This is VERY common on 500 series bodies (to the extent that every long-term 500 owner knows the trick).

^ Agreed. When you remove the back you can carefully push open the hinged plates. (spring loaded iirc, so you'll hold them apart as you proceed) You'll see a small slotted screw head at the front of the camera. Turn it with a screwdriver and it should align the lens/body.

Douglas Fairbank

Good advice, it's good to see the forum working for the members so quickly.
2 extra tips to add to those already posted, only turn in a clockwise direction, get someone to help detach the lens as very few people are blessed with 3 hands. Good luck and don't slip!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The owner of the camera is a chef. I believe they are mostly equipped with three or more hands, or does it only seem like that?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thank you all again for the useful advice. I will attempt to resolve the problem tonight, as I have other "business" at his restaurant. The question is: When do I attempt to remove the lens? During the Silvaner Trocken or should I wait until I've finished the Spätburgunder? Should I ask some advice from Fräulein Wunderlich as well?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Problem solved. He didn't know what that button opposite the shutter button was for. He also wondered what I would like to pay for the camera (and the M6 and the R4 and a couple of other cameras plus lenses). My wallet is hurting badly just thinking about it :cry:

And it was Fräulein Wunderlich. Photos were taken with an OM-3 and Delta 3200, so it will take some time before they are available :chug: