The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Affordable Medium Format Digital!

iPhone for a viewfinder, iPhone for a digital back, iPhone is everywhere now! How do I still not have a smartphone yet? Very clever idea though, not nearly as nuts as the loony cam.

f8orbust

$200+ for a device that lets your iphone take a picture of the grainy image on the ground glass? Nuts all right!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The least they could do is to make a version for one of the Nokia Lumia. That way, they'd at least get MF resolution.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I LOVE the view through a waist level viewfinder. Sadly, the pictures seldom look as good...

--Matt

Godfrey

The least they could do is to make a version for one of the Nokia Lumia. That way, they'd at least get MF resolution.
LOL! That's truly funny.

I see it as another way to have some fun with my Hassy cameras, and not too costly. Much more useful than a Polaroid back, and less expensive to use. Fun. I intend to get one and do a series of portraits with it.

But then I do take some pleasure in putting a Zone Plate on my M9, and a Holga lens on my E-PL1. :)

G

Godfrey

Well, I signed up. Somehow, I just cannot resist the notion of an iPhone 4S capture back for my Hasselblads with a capture triggered by the vibration signature of the Hasselblad shutter release system. It's a personal weakness. ;-)

One of the questions I placed to them was whether Hasselnuts would work with the SWC, since the vibration signature is so different from the 500CM. In the most recent update sent out, they report to be working on the SWC compatibility, both on the triggering issue and, more importantly, on a revised rear projection screen in keeping with the SWC body/lens focal requirements. The SWC screen will be an optional purchase at extra cost.

I think this gizmo is going to be lots of fun. Combine it with the Impossible Project gizmo that will take iPhone images and output them to Impossible Project SX-70 film and the possibilities are wacky and fun. :)

Godfrey

Ken_R

I think it's cool even though it is basically an elaborate instagram filter. For all practical purposes.

Godfrey

Well, the gods of camera craziness have smiled. It took a while: A box was delivered yesterday with the Bad *** Camera "Hasselnuts" back in it.

First impressions:

- Very nicely packaged with minimal but complete information.

- Compatible with iPhone 4S and iPhone 5/5S. It would take some rework to bring it to iPhone 6 compatibility.

- The back itself is lightweight but has a nice feel and very nice finish. The protective cap for the back is secured with magnets (very slick) and includes sleeves for the iPhone 4 and 5 generation phones. It fits my 500CM body very nicely. I haven't tried to fit it on the SWC yet.

- The Hasselnuts app seems fully compatible with iOS 8.1.

I might have time this evening to give it a first try. If it works as well as I hope, it should be a perfect match to also use with The Impossible Project "Instant Lab" to produce Hasselblad-captured Polaroid prints ... ;-)

Fun fun fun!

G

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Just got mine today, too, but have to borrow one of the kids' phones to try it out :(

But where do we post the images? Fun with MF? iPhone? Abominations? ;)

--Matt

Godfrey

Just got mine today, too, but have to borrow one of the kids' phones to try it out :(

But where do we post the images? Fun with MF? iPhone? Abominations? ;)

--Matt
Abominations sounds cool, but perhaps Sunset Bar will do...! ;-)

G

Godfrey

Just some test shots to see that this thing actually works:

All: Hasselblad 500CM + Zeiss Makro-Planar 120mm f/4 @ f/4
Exposure: Hasselnuts back + iPhone 4S

No modifications other than resize and add the border. :)

G