The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alpa FPS & RRS plates

dchew

I saw these a few days ago (I guess maybe I don't like to share??)
Sorry :(

I might get one for the TC, but not the STC, where I need two. Obviously this one would not be comfortable next to the hand grip on the STC, and as Graham hinted I don't like two different dovetail sizes since I have the two-position AS clamp, which is difficult to adjust.

What do you all think of the lens shade? I don't have one yet. I liked Dan's use of the Hasselblad shade, but nothing else thrills me. Website says 67mm which should work for the 40hr but not the 60xl w/CF mounted.

Dave

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The two holes are stuffed with that über expensive Swiss mountain air that the Alpa gnomes collect every first full moon of the year.
If you blow across them it plays the legendary Alpa alpenhorn theme tune. :)

In all seriousness though, Alpa like sticking those holes everywhere so that you can poke your cable releases etc through them. Pretty sure that it's not for weight saving or aerodynamics.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Btw, I did some more research into this and it seems that the plate that Alpa themselves have traditionally used on the base of the FPS is the auxiliary attachment adapter or reverse adapter for the SWA:

I've used one of these on my TC for a while now so I'll give it a try on the FPS too.

I have a B22 on the bottom of that.

The new adapters are cheaper than the original adapter though plus they are Arca ready too by the looks of it.

Last edited: