The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad price increase

jduncan

Just seen on Photorumours:

I like the editorial comment: On October 1, 2013 Hasselblad will increase the price of their H system lenses due to higher manufacturing costs (maybe the real reason is to cover the losses from the Lunar and Stellar cameras).

Read more on PhotoRumors.com: Hasselblad lens price increase coming on October 1st | Photo Rumors
It could be also sales. I hope you are right. But I still believe that they have failed to properly market the H5D and also, I am amazed that the H5D-60 is not listed on the Hasselblad site (Hasselbladusa.com) even at this date.

Jduncan

nikonf

They are truly pathetic. I wish I had never purchased an H4D camera and lenses.
They have become nothing more than a marketing company.
I should have purchased a technical camera, Phase One back and a couple of Rodenstock and Schneider APO-Digital optics.
I have less than 600 exposures on my H4D digital back and I am going to "take a bath" when I sell this virtually new camera and lenses!
Anybody want to buy it?

mmbma

I don't think they are pathetic. (perhaps except the lunar and stellar). I think increasing on the H only helps the resale value of your H4D no? As fewer people buy their stuff of course costs would go up. I want a raise every year too, that drives up my company's costs.

Why are you selling it? the H4D is a totally different camera vs. Tech cams. If you do studio work/fashion/stills why would you want to use a Tech cam?

Yes, you will lose a lot of money when you sale your H4D compared to retail value, but that's true to EVERY digital camera, tech cams included. You can easily recoup your losses from buying used tech cams which also took a price cut.

nikonf

I have used Hasselblad cameras for more than 40 years.
They are a shadow of what they once were.

My H4d has less than 700 exposures on it.
My photo interests have changed and I now want to concentrate on landscapes and macros.

Thanks,
Mike

If anybody wants a new camera, mine is the one to buy!
I don't think they are pathetic. (perhaps except the lunar and stellar). I think increasing on the H only helps the resale value of your H4D no? As fewer people buy their stuff of course costs would go up. I want a raise every year too, that drives up my company's costs.

Why are you selling it? the H4D is a totally different camera vs. Tech cams. If you do studio work/fashion/stills why would you want to use a Tech cam?

Yes, you will lose a lot of money when you sale your H4D compared to retail value, but that's true to EVERY digital camera, tech cams included. You can easily recoup your losses from buying used tech cams which also took a price cut.

RVB

I should have purchased a technical camera, Phase One back and a couple of Rodenstock and Schneider APO-Digital optics.
I have less than 600 exposures on my H4D digital back and I am going to "take a bath" when I sell this virtually new camera and lenses!
Anybody want to buy it?
You could get a H4x and a phase back and still use your HC glass,some of those HC lenses are excellent,and add a tech cam later.

malmac

Anybody want to buy it?
NikonF

I looked at the H4D 50 back when the Phase P65 was the option. Really liked the H camera system but opted for the Phase system because I liked the fact that when the new promised camera body came out - I could buy the new body and have a camera body comparable to the H system camera but with a back that was independent.

Well we all have our disappointments - here we are two years later and no new cameras body even in sight yet (don't talk about the 645DF+) - so to some extent I feel duped on that front.

I upgraded to the IQ180 back and really love the files so I live with the short comings.

If I was rich beyond belief I would buy your H4D camera - I am sure I would find something to love - like True Focus - to mention just one.

Mal

Come on guys, what has got cheaper made in Europe last decade?
Except Hasselblad's cameras and lenses have actually been made by Fuji in Japan since roughly 2002, and that's why some people call them Fujiblads, Хассельблать.... Скорее?)))
As well, all Zeiss DSLR lenses are actually made by Cosina, so they're not the only ones outsourcing.

As nikonf quipped, Hass really may be a marketing company as besides that and "product development", they likely don't make any of their own products...

Edit: Not saying their cameras are bad by any means, I regularly see plenty of wonderful images here shot with H cameras, maybe a majority of them in fact.

jduncan

Except Hasselblad's cameras and lenses have actually been made by Fuji in Japan since roughly 2002, and that's why some people call them Fujiblads, Хассельблать.... Скорее?)))
As well, all Zeiss DSLR lenses are actually made by Cosina, so they're not the only ones outsourcing.

As nikonf quipped, Hass really may be a marketing company as besides that and "product development", they likely don't make any of their own products...

Edit: Not saying their cameras are bad by any means, I regularly see plenty of wonderful images here shot with H cameras, maybe a majority of them in fact.
Most companies do this nowadays. Maybe is that camera companies has been late in the adoption of manufacturing outsourcing.

A quick look at the mobile industry (one of the few that with a massive grow nowadays ) will show that.

Hasselblad did try to lower the prices when the H4D was introduced. The idea was jumpstart the sales. Like a bunch of things that they have tried they reversed themselves.

I have to accept that, in the forums (at least on Lula) the reception of the H4D was super negative. In particular about true focus.

In any case, I believe that Hasselblad issue is related to the sensors, no the camera. As long as they don't have a sensor manufacturing partner the suffering and bleeding will continue.

If Kodak was alive they will probably have a H5D-75 and a H5D-300ms and we will not be having this conversation.

The problem is the new owners don't seem to be attacking the main issues that we see, as Photography lovers. They see just one issue: profit.

Best regards,

J. Duncan

Shashin

I hate to point out that inflation also drives prices. If costs go up because things get more expensive, then that is going to impact price. They are running a business. To think that prices never change is unrealistic.

RVB

Could Hasselblad be the medium format company that Canon has allegedly invested in??It would be interesting if they were,the H5D is a really nice camera but with the same sensor's there is no compelling reason to upgrade,even the rear LCD is the same,they could have at least enlarged it with a retina resolution.

AlexLF

I wrote this before and I repeat it again - why companies would not make a tech camera with 35mm sensor? It should be inexpensive (relative to MFD, say 5-6k) and there will be way more customers then MFD. Having "Porshe Cayenne" in their line up the company could have higher budgets on R&D, etc.

I wonder - would you fellow photographer buy such a thing? I'd go for it.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
As much as I suffer from larger-sensor envy, the results from the IQ140 on a tech camera are just fabulous. I don't have the need (or wall space) to print larger than 20x24. From that standpoint, a 35mm tech camera would probably be just my thing.

But....

I may be a koolaid drinking fanboi, but with the exception of the Leica M9, I still haven't seen a 35mm or smaller sensor with the attractive qualities of the IQ series. It's probable that this is a post-processing issue, and that I could get that I-just-want-to-stare-at-this-forever feeling from a modern Canon/Nikon/Sony sensor. Is it CCD vs. CMOS? Dalsa vs. Sony? Brand-induced hypnosis? I dunno...

So, yes. Make a smaller tech camera, but keep the sensor wonderful!

--Matt

Could Hasselblad be the medium format company that Canon has allegedly invested in??It would be interesting if they were,the H5D is a really nice camera but with the same sensor's there is no compelling reason to upgrade,even the rear LCD is the same,they could have at least enlarged it with a retina resolution.
Considering another company just invested in HB and is trying to pull them out of the water, I don't think a highly conservative Japanese conglomerate is going to be aching to dump their money in them too.

Phase One on the other hand is both in a more stable position and already leads a joint venture with Mamiya and Leaf, so clearly they are open to collaborate with other companies. Of course, we could all be wrong, so be ready to be surprised come Photokina 2014 or whenever they'll choose to announce the darn thing.

I wrote this before and I repeat it again - why companies would not make a tech camera with 35mm sensor? It should be inexpensive (relative to MFD, say 5-6k) and there will be way more customers then MFD. Having "Porshe Cayenne" in their line up the company could have higher budgets on R&D, etc.

I wonder - would you fellow photographer buy such a thing? I'd go for it.
Up until recently, no one even thought that 35mm sensors could come close to the imaging quality of a large CCD chip, so a question like this would often be answered with "the tilt-shift lenses are good enough".

Maybe Nikon could consider putting their D800 sensor into a 35mm tech cam, but it seems too radical for them... They aren't as flexible as Canon due to them being "only" a camera company.

fotografz

Considering another company just invested in HB and is trying to pull them out of the water, I don't think a highly conservative Japanese conglomerate is going to be aching to dump their money in them too.

Phase One on the other hand is both in a more stable position and already leads a joint venture with Mamiya and Leaf, so clearly they are open to collaborate with other companies. Of course, we could all be wrong, so be ready to be surprised come Photokina 2014 or whenever they'll choose to announce the darn thing.

Up until recently, no one even thought that 35mm sensors could come close to the imaging quality of a large CCD chip, so a question like this would often be answered with "the tilt-shift lenses are good enough".

Maybe Nikon could consider putting their D800 sensor into a 35mm tech cam, but it seems too radical for them... They aren't as flexible as Canon due to them being "only" a camera company.
The D800 sensor is made by Sony.

fotografz

I have used Hasselblad cameras for more than 40 years.
They are a shadow of what they once were.

My H4d has less than 700 exposures on it.
My photo interests have changed and I now want to concentrate on landscapes and macros.

Thanks,
Mike

If anybody wants a new camera, mine is the one to buy!
They are a shadow, and other MF makers are skeletons bleaching in the sun, because demand for the format is shrinking.

Aaron

Anybody want to buy it?
I don't get this?
Why did you purchase a H4D and why is it Hasselblads fault you've only 600 exposures on it?
You make it sound like you were tricked into buying it.....