The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad price increase

fotografz

Many years ago, if you said something about wanting to get into professional photography, you'd hear the word Hasselblad sometime within the next sentence or two. and the conversation would end there.

You dropped the ball, Hasselblad, you've dropped all of the balls; and a thousand midgets kicked them into the net.
Not so sure about that. All the Pros that selected Hasselblad H didn't suddenly dump all their gear due to banter on gear forums. That'd be a bad business move.

A friend just did a Cosmo shoot in Tampa as second shooter, and took his H4D/50 because they specifically asked if he worked with MFD ... the Pro was there with two H4D/60s and just about every lens for H system.

It is still the one camera system where all lenses from 24mm to 300 are leaf shutter. Others have started to offer a nice set of LS lenses, but not such a wide array. Even after retiring, I couldn't leave Hasselblad until Leica at least got some of their CS lenses out the door almost 4 years later. Now my Leica S 35mm, 70mm, 120 Macro and 180mm are all CS versions.

- Marc

pnwmf

Yes, Hasselblad is doing a bad job of conveying what they do better. The smartest thing Phase One has done is put their gear in pro's hands, and their 'lease' offer is setup to do just that.

I don't know what I can convey other than Hasselblad isn't doing a good job of outreach and workshops in support of their cameras. Yes, they're making it worse with the distractions of Lunar and such.

Winter is quickly approaching, why doesn't Hasselblad have an active outreach going on?

fotografz

Yes, Hasselblad is doing a bad job of conveying what they do better. The smartest thing Phase One has done is put their gear in pro's hands, and their 'lease' offer is setup to do just that.

I don't know what I can convey other than Hasselblad isn't doing a good job of outreach and workshops in support of their cameras. Yes, they're making it worse with the distractions of Lunar and such.

Winter is quickly approaching, why doesn't Hasselblad have an active outreach going on?
I agree that Hasselblad's marketing has never been aggressive enough nor have they conveyed their innovations and unique attributes in a competitive enough manner.

FYI, as to outreach programs, I get plenty of those e-mails from Hasselblad ... I guess they just don't send that info to everyone in the world. :rolleyes:

Shootnyc

Masters Finalist Exhibition

Real world videos:

Hasselblad tv

Lots of tutorials:

English Channel | Hasselblad tv

Innovations:

English Channel | Hasselblad tv

Lots of supported events, seminars, and workshops

Workshops

plus more ...

-Marc

Not so sure about that. All the Pros that selected Hasselblad H didn't suddenly dump all their gear due to banter on gear forums.
Goes without saying, but the banter is the fun part, everything you read on the net is a gross exaggeration of the reality. Especially when it comes from me.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Have to say after repeating inquires for test cameras for reviews and supporting any of the workshops I have been involved in , never has Hassy directly been involved outside a Hassy dealer.

Not sure what to think of that.

pnwmf

I agree that Hasselblad's marketing has never been aggressive enough nor have they conveyed their innovations and unique attributes in a competitive enough manner.

FYI, as to outreach programs, I get plenty of those e-mails from Hasselblad ... I guess they just don't send that info to everyone in the world. :rolleyes:

Lots of supported events, seminars, and workshops

Workshops

plus more ...

-Marc
Too bad these aren't actually focused on their product - and having taken Ricks speedlite course I can say it's not for MF shooters period (he's all TTL for Nikon or Canon - and only has one set of PW's per system for the entire class). Videos aren't ideal, and talks where you watch someone jabber on isn't helpful.

A proper event is where you:
- shoot the same image twice, once with your camera, and once with a Hasselblad/Phase One
- take both raw's and edit them in LR/PS/Phocus/CaptureOne
- print both at size

Set them next to each other and understand what you're working with.

Giorgio

I use Hasselblad, and have for about 5 years.

Last month I reached out to the representative in my area, I wanted to try out the new HC50 lens for evaluation. She told me to rent one.

In the past, I have gotten gear for evaluation and H has been very supportive.

Things have changed.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I visit the websites of medium format suppliers regularly. As a result of that, and probably because there was an option to leave my email address at their websites, I get frequent updates from Phase 1 and Mamiya Leaf by email. This is what I call "Informative Spam". From Hasselblad: Nil. I do subscribe to their FB page though, and get a mix of Lunar/Stellar propaganda (I believe the latest was "Vote for the most beautiful Stellar") and some more or less interesting information about photographers who use Hasselblad. No product information though.

At least for the time being, I wouldn't be able to afford a new Hasselblad, so it doesn't really matter, but Hasselblad doesn't know that. Me thinks it's a mix of arrogance and incompetence, a very dangerous mix if they want to survive in today's market.

stngoldberg

I use Hasselblad, and have for about 5 years.

Last month I reached out to the representative in my area, I wanted to try out the new HC50 lens for evaluation. She told me to rent one.

In the past, I have gotten gear for evaluation and H has been very supportive.

Things have changed.
Use my dealer, Peter Lorber, in Boca Raton, Fl.
He accommodates all of my needs and is a world class photographer in addition
Stanley