The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

the best tripod for travel with a DF ?

archivue

I'm using a systematic Carbon fiber 3, that i found excellent... but i'm planing a trip to kyoto, and i'm not shire that i want to carry my serie 3 tripod all day long !

Any good alternative ?

THANKS

malmac

At the risk of being branded a peasant by other more experience forum members - here is what I did when I travelled to Europe from Australia for 7 weeks earlier this year.

I took my 645DF with IQ180 back and a couple of lenses, in a Think Tank backpack that was carry on luggage for all international and internal flights we took in UK / Europe.

I bought a Sirui carbon fibre tripod, that with the head removed actually fitted inside my backpack and I bought a small RRS ball head with a lever clamp that fits my RRS L plate that I leave on my camera all the time. The tripod is 38cm when folded - is beautifully made and the features it has are very good for the price - I bought it from B&H - very happy.

Yes the tripod is not very tall, but I did long exposure night shots and had good success.
It also meant I did not have to worry about my tripod being stolen or damaged going in the hold luggage.

At home I use a large RRS tripod with a cube - but for travelling light this small tripod is a winner for sure.

Mal

Not sure what the systematic 3 is, but figure out how much weight you are willing to carry and how tall it needs to be. On some of the 3xxx series Gitzos, you can remove leg sections, so depending on your tripod, you may be able to just remove a section or two and use your tripod. The DF needs a pretty stout tripod IMO. Might also consider a monopod with a small head.

jerome_m

If you have a MF camera with central shutter, you can use almost any tripod you want, provided you raise the mirror before taking the picture... and I would suppose that you can find a cheap tripod in Japan.

tsjanik

At the risk of being branded a peasant by other more experience forum members - here is what I did when I travelled to Europe from Australia for 7 weeks earlier this year.

I took my 645DF with IQ180 back and a couple of lenses, in a Think Tank backpack that was carry on luggage for all international and internal flights we took in UK / Europe.

I bought a Sirui carbon fibre tripod, that with the head removed actually fitted inside my backpack and I bought a small RRS ball head with a lever clamp that fits my RRS L plate that I leave on my camera all the time. The tripod is 38cm when folded - is beautifully made and the features it has are very good for the price - I bought it from B&H - very happy.

Yes the tripod is not very tall, but I did long exposure night shots and had good success.
It also meant I did not have to worry about my tripod being stolen or damaged going in the hold luggage.

At home I use a large RRS tripod with a cube - but for travelling light this small tripod is a winner for sure.

Mal
I use a series 2 Gitzo, but it's still too big for easy travel. The Sirui looks attractive. Here's a recent rave review:

Sirui T-025x Travel Tripod Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

Shashin

I would not get anything larger than something like the Manfrotto 055 series carbon fiber. However, Japan is a crowded place and getting around with a tripod is not that easy. A Gitzo Reporter or similar might be more practical. I might even forgo the tripod altogether. Speaking as a 16 year resident of Japan.

Ken_R

I really like the Gitzo Traveller. I usually take it whenever I don't or can't check in luggage but for long trips when I can check in a suitcase I take either my series 2 mountaineer or the series 3. The extra length of the series 3 has come extremely handy in quite a bit of situations specially when working on steep slopes and in and around water. I don't mind carrying it for miles if the terrain is not too steep. If I get into class 2 or 3 terrain then I strap it to the side of my bag. Regarding support the series 2 (2530) is more than adequate. The traveller is a little more iffy so I have to take a lot more care when using it.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The Gitzo traveler is somewhat too light and short IMHO with a DF combination. Those spindly legs and lack of height become a pain after a while.

You might want to take a look at the Feisol CT-3441T and a reasonable head like a Markins Q3T or RRS BH-30 or BH-40 heads. It'll fit in your luggage and is reasonably stiff for a lightweight tripod alternative to a 'real' tripod (so to speak). I use the Feisol without the center column extended and with the short spikes. It's a good travel option although borderline too light if you use longer DF glass.

cly

So none of you had issues with a tripod in your carry on luggage? I thought (as that's what I have been told) that a tripod is a no go but I never tried.

Chris

So none of you had issues with a tripod in your carry on luggage? I thought (as that's what I have been told) that a tripod is a no go but I never tried.

Chris
International flights now allow hockey sticks and small baseball bats as carry-on, I figure tripods are no problem.

tcdeveau

Regarding tripods and carry ones, I've traveled with my RRS TVC-33/BH-55 + RRS case and carried on every time, domestic and international Haven't had a problem to date (knock on wood). That's one of their big ones, so if those can be carried on, surely a smaller one can. It's kinda a PITA to lug around tho, esp with a big camera bag, so I'm definitely looking to get a smaller one in the future.
Todd

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Twelve posts and no one has yet recommended the Gitzo 5-series giant as a travel tripod? I'm disappointed! :ROTFL:

-Matt

+1 on the Feisol. It has a narrow base, but if you're careful, it's useful and light.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Twelve posts and no one has yet recommended the Gitzo 5-series giant as a travel tripod? I'm disappointed! :ROTFL:

-Matt

+1 on the Feisol. It has a narrow base, but if you're careful, it's useful and light.
Well, I thought I'd hold off on that one. Those who know me know that my real travel tripod is indeed the Gitzo 5561SGT ... with a CUBE ... and spikes. :ROTFL:

The Feisol comes along too in the same Manfrotto bag and I have to check them. The head comes off the Gitzo though. :chug:

-Matt
That's just because I might consider myself a sissy, and am thinking of a Gitzo 4-series for travel and general use, it's less chunky than the 5s. :rolleyes:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Yes, I'm a wimp and only carry the 3542XLS. That extra leg segment *does* come in handy. ;)

Professional

My problem is not with the tripod itself, it is with the head on that tripod [RRS BH-55], it is really so heavy ballhead, but i will try to use Markins Q3T more to handle the weight, i use Gitzo series 3 tripod as well [GT3541L i think].

Shashin

Arca Swiss P0 is a great travel head--small, light, and stable. I use it with my Pentax 645D and focal lengths up to 300mm.