The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Can someone identify this filter holder?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Specifically the standard LEE filter holder with 105mm polarizer ring and polarizer. If it's the LEE polarizer then it's a B+W 105mm Kasemann circular polarizer. You can also use the piggy back adapter and/or 4x4in polarizer as an alternative.

Btw, I was shooting in Glacier NP last week and noticed that the square LEE polarizer is very dependent upon which way round you use it. If the lettering on the filter is on the scene side (you can read it from the front) then it's a regular polarizer. If you flip it then the polarization ends up being reduced and it acts like a blue/gold polarizer. It's not a subtle blue / gold effect either! (I was wondering why the lake surfaces weren't polarizing out much but on the flip side the warm gold effect worked wonders on pebbles and foreground pre-dawn!)

markymarkrb

Great Info. Is the 105mm Kasemann a good polarizer and will it work with the HR 50MM without causing some extreme vignetting when added to the Lee foundation filter system?

GrahamWelland

It should be fine with the 50mm. With my 35XL it vignettes in the LEE mount with 2 slots. I'm sure that if I reduced it to a single slot there would be no problem. Make sure to shield the open side of the LEE holder though in bright conditions to avoid any flare from the back of the filter. (The LEE seven5 system is particularly sensitive to this I've found too).

As polarizers go I'd rate it alongside my original 77/82mm Nikon CPL filter. (Simply the best DSLR CPL I've ever used). Of course, for a tech camera circular polarization is unnecessary but try finding a linear one these days ...

alajuela

It should be fine with the 50mm. With my 35XL it vignettes in the LEE mount with 2 slots. I'm sure that if I reduced it to a single slot there would be no problem. Make sure to shield the open side of the LEE holder though in bright conditions to avoid any flare from the back of the filter. (The LEE seven5 system is particularly sensitive to this I've found too).

As polarizers go I'd rate it alongside my original 77/82mm Nikon CPL filter. (Simply the best DSLR CPL I've ever used). Of course, for a tech camera circular polarization is unnecessary but try finding a linear one these days ...
Hi Graham

Why do you think "for a tech camera circular polarization is unnecessary"

Best

Phil

GrahamWelland

You don't have AF or metering with a tech camera. You generally need a circular polarizer for these functions to work but for manual focus, non-metered technical or view cameras linear polarizers are all that are required (and arguably they are more efficient/effective too)

Professional

You don't have AF or metering with a tech camera. You generally need a circular polarizer for these functions to work but for manual focus, non-metered technical or view cameras linear polarizers are all that are required (and arguably they are more efficient/effective too)
So, if i am using my digital cameras with AF i can go with CPL, but once i convert to MF lenses or film cameras then i just choose linear PL filter?

GrahamWelland

The easiest solution is to just go with a circular polarizer because you can use it on any camera.

For technical / MF cameras you can use either linear or circular.

For AF / metering cameras you need circular.

Professional

The easiest solution is to just go with a circular polarizer because you can use it on any camera.

Exactly, so that i only have circular polarizer filters even i have film MF cameras.

alajuela

Hi Graham

Thanks for explaining:thumbs:

I have no experience with a linear polarizer -- on my tech I just use my circular ones I always had. It is a bit of hit or miss as you can not see thru the lens, when you turn it to adjust, but would be the same with the linear - right?

Best

Phil

GrahamWelland

Sorry folks, there was no room left in the SUV as both myself and my shooting buddy Chris are gear and tripod whores. :ROTFL: He's up to something like 55 of 59 national parks now. We snuck in a week of awful weather, Going to the Sun Road early shutdown and the last open week before closing everything up (normal, not the current farce). It was still pretty magical though :D

The clowns in DC have successfully screwed up my Acadia plans though. It'll be the second time I've been there and not been able to visit the whole park. (name drop II :ROTFL:)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
No worries bud we will get in. I have a plan. ROTFLMAO. Just bring your waders . LOL

I love this We the People stuff. Did We the people tell those morons to shut down the government . NOT but our politicians did.

Shashin

You really need to visit the park more than twice to see it.

Terribly not impressed by the gov shutdown. My wife who is not from the States cannot understand how a government can shut itself down. Particularly a democracy. But it is putting a dampener on our weekend as we planned to go to Acadia.

Paul2660

Graham:

Thanks for the tip on the Lee CL-PL, as I had noticed something odd about mine the last time I used it, and that was it. I had it with the letters facing me, not out.

I agree on the blue green look it's almost like the Singh Ray effects filter.

Paul Caldwell