The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leaf Aptus Tethering into Lightroom?

Mgreer316

Shooting tethered into Lightroom from my Canon gear is a simple matter of plugging a USB cable into the computer and starting the tether function in LR. I don't ever need to control the camera from the computer. All I need to do is have LR display the captured images. So, with this in mind, can the same thing be done with an Aptus-II back via a Firewire cable?

P.S., I know this can be done with Capture One. But as of right now, my preferred software of choice is LR.

Mgreer316

Doug,

When people speak of C1, they assume that others are unfamiliar with it. I started using C1 professionally in 2003. I used it for 3 years before I switch to Bibble Pro for a season. I got tired of always waiting for Phase One to update the supported cameras and their upgrade policies were just plain weird. C1 was great, but Phase One as a company trying to support a more mass market product left a lot to be desired. Anyway, after using BP I was asked to beta LR and I've been with it ever since. C1 underwent a radical UI change and I've never gotten use to it. I can use it, but it just doesn't "flow" in my brain like LR does. And BTW, it's been like that since the beginning for me with LR. I've never read a manual and I've barely had to ask any questions. I could get back to my production state with C1, but LR simply fits my brain better and it does everything I need it to do. Additionally, I don't want to split my workflow. DSLRs in LR and MFDs in C1. I will if I must. But I'd prefer not to.

When I first got my MFD setup, I tested results from LR and C1. And I've been testing/comparing on and off for the past 2 months. I'm pretty critical and I'm simply not seeing a significant difference in results between the two. At least not for what I do and how I process. C1 definately is world class software. But so is Lightroom.

When speaking of tethering, people seem to assume that support must to total. Meaning, being able to control the camera from the software. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems most people just want to be able to capture the images in the software, but shoot from the camera. So adding support for numerous cameras on this level shouldn't be near the work it would take to add full support. That's why I was wondering if Lightroom supported image capture from the Aptus II on this level.

Anyway, for a hot folder workflow, how does one get the images from the Aptus back to a designated folder on the computer?

Last edited:

fabee

You can use auto import in LR. You can find it in the file menu. It's really simple to set up.

If you don't want to run two programs at the same time on your computer, you can use a WiFi card and the auto import feature of LR. I use this method with my Aptus 22 and it works well. It's fast enough if you don't want to take pictures in every second, and you can forget the cable.

Mgreer316

You can use auto import in LR. You can find it in the file menu. It's really simple to set up.

If you don't want to run two programs at the same time on your computer, you can use a WiFi card and the auto import feature of LR. I use this method with my Aptus 22 and it works well. It's fast enough if you don't want to take pictures in every second, and you can forget the cable.
This would definitely be preferable. But I haven't come across a viable CF card based WiFi solution. I already have an Eye-Fi SD card which works great in my 5D MKIII's SD slot. But those inserted in a CF card adapter don't worked too well. So, what are you using?

Valentin

Mike,

I don't like the "new" C1 interface either but it's fairly straight forward to use it for tethering. The added benefit would also be the Pilot app (for viewing images by a third party).

Mgreer316

V,

How you doing buddy? Feels a little like old times on the DWF. I made a brief attempt to tether my 5D MKIII to C1 and it didn't connect. I then did a little reading online and it seems connecting C1 to some Canon bodies can be a little fickle. So I'm going to go back and try again. With LR the connection fired up in about 2 seconds. The Pilot app does offer some intriguing possibilities though. My back is being serviced now. So when I get it back I'll try to connect with it.

Valentin

I'm good ... keep trying to keep this thing call photography going :)

C1 broke the tethering with Canon on one of their versions (don't recall which one) and I had to go back a couple iterations to v6.something (not in front of my computer) so that might be the problem (I have the MKII). Supposedly, v7 should be fine (I had issues with v7 on my Mac and took it off so I didn't try it).

p.s. I sometimes miss the old DWF ... good old times :)

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Mike,

I don't like the "new" C1 interface either but it's fairly straight forward to use it for tethering. The added benefit would also be the Pilot app (for viewing images by a third party).
Viewing and editing. You can rate and color tag images from the app.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I'm good ... keep trying to keep this thing call photography going :)

C1 broke the tethering with Canon on one of their versions (don't recall which one) and I had to go back a couple iterations to v6.something (not in front of my computer) so that might be the problem (I have the MKII). Supposedly, v7 should be fine (I had issues with v7 on my Mac and took it off so I didn't try it).

p.s. I sometimes miss the old DWF ... good old times :)
6.4.5 or 7.1.4 will both do great with Canon tethering in 10.7 or 10.8.

There were some earlier versions of C1 for which Canon + 10.7 or 10.8 didn't work or didn't work well. But that's not relevant anymore.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I'm on a PC. Any issues with Win7?
Shouldn't be. Though in the Windows world there are so many motherboards and components that it can be a bit of a crap shoot. But if it's working find with LR you shouldn't have any problems with Capture One 7.1.4 or 6.4.5.

Mgreer316

Shouldn't be. Though in the Windows world there are so many motherboards and components that it can be a bit of a crap shoot. But if it's working find with LR you shouldn't have any problems with Capture One 7.1.4 or 6.4.5.
Well, it didn't connect with whatever version I have installed, but I did get an upgrade notice for my C1 v7 that I haven't installed yet. Maybe that'll do the trick.

yaya

On a PC your best and most straightforward option is to shoot, edit and process in Capture One. LightRoom won't recognise Aptus files that were shot into Capture One and the only workaround is to use our Raw Converter which re-saves the files in a format that LR recognises. This is not an automated flow so again Capture One is your friend there

Make sure you use a good FW PCI board, one that can be powered off the internal power supply of your PC. If it is a laptop you will need a powered repeater

BR

Yair

Mgreer316

This is what's bothering me. I chose a Leaf back (same applies to a P1 back) over a HxD system exactly because of openness. In general, I'm an open systems guy. That's one of many reasons why I personallyddon't use Apple products. Of course, there are advantages to closed the systems. Each individual must choose what's best for them. Anyway, I'm feeling this "pressure" from many different arenas to conform and just use C1. I hear all the reasons, but the reasons don't jibe with my experience. Plus, C1 simply is not the best tool for my business. If you want to promote the advantageof oopenness when comparing to the competition, then be open! Canon offers their DPP software. But how many use it? No, you can't force Adobe to support tethering from digital backs. But you can make capturing to a computer easy with a utility and not force the use C1. Again, Canon does this with their EOS Utility.

AndyPtak

Mgreer316 - Like you I'm an open systems guy and chose Windows for that reason.

Eventually I just had to suck it up and use C1 for my P45+. I shoot into it and when i'm done I export into LR.

Mgreer316

Andy,

I'll probably end up doing the same. And maybe if a basic tethering option into LR was available I'd still end up in C1. It's just this "it's best for you if you just use C1" mentality that I don't like. If I come to that conclusion based on my experience and my requirements, then fine. But when others tell me what's best for me without knowing me, my expertise, my applications, my experience, my business, etc., it just irks the heck out of me.

The fact is I really don't need to tether anything. It might prove beneficial in some applications. That's what I'm trying to evaluate. And that's the reason for exploring the options.