The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

AEL Button on DF camera: Too small and recessed

Jwoo

Many users of DF bodies would have programmed the AEL button to engage auto focus. While that works better than using the release button for focusing, I do find that that button is too small and recessed.
Unlike similar buttons on Nikon and Canon bodies, I usually have to use the tip instead of the flat of the thumb to engage focussing.
Any thoughts on that? How about a DIY method to enlarge the button?

Jwoo

I'm thinking of using Sugru to fashion a button to make it easier to press. Anyone used Sugru before?

geesbert

i used sugru on a couple of cameras with great success. a nice touch is to use a sieve to add some grip to buttons. it is possible to scrape it off, should you decide to not liking it.

just make sure to really dry it before you use it. 24h is good, 36 is better

Jwoo

Never thought I would have to use something like to Sugru to modify a $6000 camera body! The design of the Phase/ Mamiya leaves much to be desired.
Even my Nikon F3 had better buttons!

malmac

never mind, when the new Phase One camera body comes out in late 2012 it will all be fixed!!!!

I need Dr Who to slip into the future and find out if the camera will ever materialise in this solar system.

Mal

Jwoo

No need to visit the future. Cameras from 10-15years ago were/are much better than the DF+! For the same $6000 you can have the latest greatest C/N camera. And with a sensor to boot!
I have no quarels with Phase DB thought. There are fantastic.

malmac

You are right the Phase backs produce awesome images BUT the camera body is average and I was promised a new camera body "coming soon" and that is what rankles - the 645DF+ is not a new camera body - I do feel a bit ripped off.

Mal