The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone still shooting Alpa with... FILM?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Me :)

I often shoot with my Alpa TC using my Alpa 66x44mm film back. The results from digital are as outstanding as expected but even my film processor comments on the amazing quality of chromes shot with this camera. I normally use the Schneider 47mm XL Digitar and just hyper-focal focus with it. I also use the Alpa optical viewfinder. I will often shoot it handheld using Portra 400 or off a tripod with Velvia.

Now it has to be said though that for every frame I shoot with film on the Alpa I probably shoot 250+ with my digital back.

Last edited:

tjv

Not an Alpa, but I shoot a Linhof Techno with a Horseman 6x7cm film back. I LOVE this setup and use a 90mm HR and 55mm APO, scanned on an Imacon 949. Great results and I guess Alpa would be the same. That is, superb.:thumbup:

ibear88

Love that 20 x 24. Where do you get your film? Does anybody make polaroid type film for 20 x 24? I've seen beautiful examples.

PSon

ALPA has some nice film lens to accommodate your full frame film back sizes. The one that I use is the Schneider Super-Angulon 47mm F5.6 XL. This lens has huge image circle. My wish is to adapt a 6x12 film back onto my ALPA.

SergeiR

Love that 20 x 24. Where do you get your film? Does anybody make polaroid type film for 20 x 24? I've seen beautiful examples.
you can rent studio with polaroid ones.. they got two offices on both coasts, if i remember right :)
I am way cheaper, so i am shooting (well.. still getting used to it, actually), paper and lith film with it. Tins, when i will get canister of right size, too.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
ALPA has some nice film lens to accommodate your full frame film back sizes. The one that I use is the Schneider Super-Angulon 47mm F5.6 XL. This lens has huge image circle. My wish is to adapt a 6x12 film back onto my ALPA.
The 47 XL APO Digitar is a monstrously sharp lens with film too. Those digital corrections certainly work.

Let me know if you get 6x12 support as I'd join you!!

gerald.d

Would 6x12 work? The aperture on the camera body is only around 7.5-8cm square - would it not vignette?

Kind regards,

Gerald.

LonnaTucker

Would 6x12 work? The aperture on the camera body is only around 7.5-8cm square - would it not vignette?

Kind regards,

Gerald.
No, 6X12 is not possible on Alpa or Cambo.

Arca-Swiss, has the advantage here with their R-Line camera design, and the ability to shoot 6X9 film backs with Rm3di and Rm2d. With the RL3di, up to 4X5 film is possible, so 6X12 would work with this body only.

Cambo and Alpa work with 6X7 only.