The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad "Solar" !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
didnt we agree that this is a photoshop aprils fool joke?:confused:
I suppose it might fool some... but it's clearly a photoshop. It's simply a rip on Hasselblad for making overpriced "luxury" versions of otherwise good inexpensive cameras.

Ironically, the reason the cameras they re-brand are considered good is because they are inexpensive, compact and easy to use; features they seem keen on compromising.

There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.

Oscar Wilde
Yep yep, if this is marketing, it's doing a good job of getting people to talk about Hasselblad, but not really in a good way. It would work if Hasselblad had something to offer the people they reel in with their absurdity, for instance Leica has their M series cameras, which are both within the realm of purchase for many people and are objectively good cameras too.

V

Vivek

It is not good intention to start a post like this because it reflects your own character.
Coming from FSOT, high praise indeed.:) How many Lunars are stocked up for sale or trade? :ROTFL:

V

Vivek

I do not think personal attacks are tolerated here. I am not much interested in trading them either. ;)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It is not kind to make fun of people who live around you do not speak English as their native tongue. In fact it is admirable that they took their time to learn a second language.
Most Asians would not say "Me thinks...", particularly not a Thai, who will have problems pronouncing the sound "s" at the end of a word, since it doesn't exist in Thai (and Lao) language at that position of a word or syllable, and not the "k", since it can't be used in conjunction with the "ng" sound. A "correct" parody on a Thai expressing this would be "Me ting...", but I don't make jokes about Asians and their inability to speak Queen's English, since that is rooted in the dramatic differences in language and culture between Asia and the western world. And why make jokes about Asians' language capabilities when westerners mostly don't care to learn any Asian language at all?

The deliberate misspelling was actually stolen from an American several years ago. Can't remember who.

stephengilbert

You fellows are just so smart. There's no reason for threads like this at all, and given that they often descend into snarky one upsmanship, perhaps they're better ignored.

ondebanks

It is not kind to make fun of people who live around you do not speak English as their native tongue. In fact it is admirable that they took their time to learn a second language.
"Methinks" is an archaic English expression, sometimes used nowadays in jest - i.e. adopting a sort of Shakespearean pomposity. You completely had the wrong end of the stick when you assumed that Jorgen's use of it was some sort of ethnic ribbing of Thais.

Ray

"Methinks" is an archaic English expression, sometimes used nowadays in jest - i.e. adopting a sort of Shakespearean pomposity. You completely had the wrong end of the stick when you assumed that Jorgen's use of it was some sort of ethnic ribbing of Thais.

Ray
Geez, I'm Russian and even I know that figure of speech, and have used it in actual conversation many times. It's not a racial slur, or being made fun of, it's more like pretending to be an ironic idiot, it's just that if it's not ironic you simply end up sounding like an idiot. :p

You fellows are just so smart. There's no reason for threads like this at all, and given that they often descend into snarky one upsmanship, perhaps they're better ignored.
No snark here ;) the reason I like this forum so much is that the people here have a sense of humor and you don't need to use smilies to imply sarcasm.

How often has Guy talked of robbing banks, or of his family committing questionable acts to him to control his gear fetish, and yet no one batted an eye? There won't be enough wood to knock on ya know!

jduncan

Ray
Just to add,

Methinks - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

I am a non native speaker, and I don't remember any encounter with the grammar police In this forum, nor racial insults.

I know that those issues are generalized on the internet. Bigots use sexist , racist and xenophobic rants as a common way to put people on "their place".

This forums, on the other hand, are pretty civilized and inclusive. Please keep them free of personal attacks and so on.

This last Sunday I was recommending a friend of mine (a woman) this forums as a model, for the quality of the people on it and the civil but honest communication.
I am surprised this tread is drifting out the high standards that we normally use here.

Please; Let's move this tread back to the quality we normally have here.

With all due respect,

J. Duncan

stephengilbert

JD,

There have been plenty of racial insults. Every time there's a new Leica or Hasselblad that is just a revamped Panasonic or Sony, we hear about how even though the camera is a joke to those of us in the know, "those Asians will buy it."

Steve

jduncan

JD,

There have been plenty of racial insults. Every time there's a new Leica or Hasselblad that is just a revamped Panasonic or Sony, we hear about how even though the camera is a joke to those of us in the know, "those Asians will buy it."

Steve
Hi Steve,

I see that more as a cultural superiority / snobbism, more than racial insult. In the same vein as the the camera is bad because the lens is made in Japan, not in the EU were all the cool stuff is done and were all the "taste resides".

But it's a good point.

Best regards,

J. Duncan

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
JD,

Steve
But they do, and the reason is very simple: Asian cultures and perception of "value" is vastly different from what is the norm in western countries. I don't doubt for a second that many luxury products are developed with that difference in mind. And when it comes to racism, that is the norm rather than the exception in large parts of Asia. Even people who know me well here call me "farang" when talking with friends, meaning that person with white skin. It actually comes from Farangsaise, which means French, and I can assure you that I'm not French. Neither am I insulted. That would be useless.

Still, they don't seem to sell any Lunars in this country...

Status
Not open for further replies.