The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad "Solar" !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken_R

Look what I saw today at the ShootNYC Hasselblad/Broncolor show close to the PhotoPlus Expo. Thankfully the show was most about the Hasselbad H system and Broncolor lights. They had awesome studio setups using most of the Broncolor line of products, Foba stands and products and of course the H5D40-50-60 and 200. I tried a few of the lenses, mainly the 100, 150 and 210 and the are superb.

The Lunar and Stellar were on a display case at the entrance along an SWA and other hasselblads. Gotta admit they do look beautiful in person.

Hasselblad seems extremely committed to the H system so guys no need to worry about it disappearing anytime soon.

alajuela

JD,

There have been plenty of racial insults. Every time there's a new Leica or Hasselblad that is just a revamped Panasonic or Sony, we hear about how even though the camera is a joke to those of us in the know, "those Asians will buy it."

Steve

I think you statement is true, if taken in the context you note. But the "issue" of "those Asians will buy it"., is a fact of life, different cultures have tastes, and different countries have different levels of disposable income.

Even Car companies make different models for different countries.

My opinion and experiences are similar to Jorgen - I have lived for 20 years in Costa Rica and now 13 in China, - the issue is more complicated than label it "racial insults" with the "political correctness" connotations.

I prefer to believe it is more in the vain of J, Duncan's statement "I see that more as a cultural superiority / snobbism, more than racial insult".

This is starting to drift off course, into really complicated issues - so I'll just take it all at face value.

Anyway that's my 2 cents.

Phil

bensonga

I haven't read all of the posts on this thread, but like many folks here, I've been distressed by the direction the new owners of Hasselblad are taking this legendary company.

I can certainly understand that some people might be willing to pay a bit more for a unique, perhaps "limited" edition of a camera, even for a camera which is otherwise identical to the standard version.

For several months, I've been contemplating the purcahse of a Ricoh GR.

It seems to be an excellent camera with terrific image quality.

Why haven't I bought one yet? Frankly, I already have too many black cameras. :ROTFL:

So when Ricoh recently announced the "GR Limited" and I saw the pictures....WOW! Now THIS is a good looking camera!

Best of all, the "Limited" version only costs ~$100 more than the standard GR. To me it could be worth the extra cost, since "Limited" edition also includes a lens hood, attractive camera case and strap.

So if the new owners of Hasselbald think they can make a business of selling attractive, stylish and limited editions of Sony cameras, I say go for it.

For an extra $100, especially if they include a few bonus accessories, it might be worth the extra expense. ;)

Gary

Last edited:

FSOT

I prefer to believe it is more in the vain of J, Duncan's statement "I see that more as a cultural superiority / snobbism, more than racial insult".

Phil
Where do you draw a line? Didn't Hitler once declared about race superiority?

If it is difficult to determine an absolute line in this complex and sensitive subject, it is better that we be respectful to human that may be offended by our LABEL of them.

Furthermore, we should not compare products to human in the same sentence. Even when it comes to product, normally company will not tell you that their products are superior to their competitor which may comes from within or outside the country. Instead you speak of its strengths and weaknesses when comparisons are made. It does not matter where the product is made, there are strengths and weaknesses if you carefully dissect the item. You can look at past and present threads as to well recognized companies and products also have issues with their supposedly "superior" products. Not only products but their customer service of their products should be carefully look at as well when a full spectrum of comparisons are made. In real life do you behave the same way you would when you sit behind a computer? If you are a public figure would you act the same way you would write in the forums?

Last edited:
In real life do you behave the same way you would when you sit behind a computer? If you are a public figure would you act the same way you would write in the forums?
Of course not! :D it's common knowledge that a normal person + anonymity + audience = total diсkwad.

I also suppose it depends on cultural concepts of "humor", for instance I have no problem using passive racial slurs in conversation, because it's normal here. Snide remarks, dry wit, sarcasm and national, racial or ethnic jokes comprise the majority of jokes and humor in Russia, and no one will bat an eye if you use them (in proper context).

In Japan, it's very different, they don't have sarcasm and will take what you say literally, unless they are prepared for western style humor beforehand. I can only imagine the variety of do's and don'ts that exist out there in the world.

On the internet we have a bit of a problem, since it's not always easy to only use universally accepted language, seeing as every other person could be from a completely different country. So rather than trying to be politically correct and attempting to not upset anyone (it will never work), you should simply ignore what others say, and not even waste time replying.

I'm not justifying for people to be аssholes on the internet, but it's proven psychology that as long as someone's merely reading text, they often won't truly, genuinely sympathize with the person they're talking to, unless they already know each other personally.

alajuela

Of course not! :D it's common knowledge that a normal person + anonymity + audience = total diсkwad.

I also suppose it depends on cultural concepts of "humor", for instance I have no problem using passive racial slurs in conversation, because it's normal here. Snide remarks, dry wit, sarcasm and national, racial or ethnic jokes comprise the majority of jokes and humor in Russia, and no one will bat an eye if you use them (in proper context).

In Japan, it's very different, they don't have sarcasm and will take what you say literally, unless they are prepared for western style humor beforehand. I can only imagine the variety of do's and don'ts that exist out there in the world.

On the internet we have a bit of a problem, since it's not always easy to only use universally accepted language, seeing as every other person could be from a completely different country. So rather than trying to be politically correct and attempting to not upset anyone (it will never work), you should simply ignore what others say, and not even waste time replying.

I'm not justifying for people to be аssholes on the internet, but it's proven psychology that as long as someone's merely reading text, they often won't truly, genuinely sympathize with the person they're talking to, unless they already know each other personally.
+1

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I find it interesting that the person leading the "racial" discussion is hiding behind some kind of acronym. Let's get this back on topic, shall we?

That Ricoh is actually a good example of a proper "limited" series modification and it sells for what it's really worth: $100 more than the standard edition, including extras. The contrast to the feeble Hasselblad attempts is breathtaking. And no, it doesn't help that David Beckham has one/bought one/was give one or whatever. I would rather ask Miley Cyrus for advice before buying a lawnmower than the football hero about cameras. Much rather, actually :D

alajuela

Where do you draw a line? Didn't Hitler once declared about race superiority
I think your comment is way off base - We are talking about cameras and the fact that some products are made with certain markets in mind. Certain markets = certain demographics.

I find your comment not only insulting but quite frankly trite, belittling, not at germane to the conversation, and showing a complete lack of knowledge of what you speak.

Excuse my reaction, as a son of a survivor of the concentration camps, lost (killed) over 150 family members, - yes I take words seriously.

In short Hitler nor any mass murderer has no place in the conversations we are having here.

alajuela

Where do you draw a line? Didn't Hitler once declared about race superiority?

If it is difficult to determine an absolute line in this complex and sensitive subject, it is better that we be respectful to human that may be offended by our LABEL of them.

Furthermore, we should not compare products to human in the same sentence. Even when it comes to product, normally company will not tell you that their products are superior to their competitor which may comes from within or outside the country. Instead you speak of its strengths and weaknesses when comparisons are made. It does not matter where the product is made, there are strengths and weaknesses if you carefully dissect the item. You can look at past and present threads as to well recognized companies and products also have issues with their supposedly "superior" products. Not only products but their customer service of their products should be carefully look at as well when a full spectrum of comparisons are made. In real life do you behave the same way you would when you sit behind a computer? If you are a public figure would you act the same way you would write in the forums?
It is not kind to make fun of people who live around you do not speak English as their native tongue. In fact it is admirable that they took their time to learn a second language.
I find it interesting that the person leading the "racial" discussion is hiding behind some kind of acronym. Let's get this back on topic, shall we?

That Ricoh is actually a good example of a proper "limited" series modification and it sells for what it's really worth: $100 more than the standard edition, including extras. The contrast to the feeble Hasselblad attempts is breathtaking. And no, it doesn't help that David Beckham has one/bought one/was give one or whatever. I would rather ask Miley Cyrus for advice before buying a lawnmower than the football hero about cameras. Much rather, actually :D
Too bad I can only like this post once :D

BlasR

Well at least it looks like a camera. I'll give it that but nothing else. Ill ban the first person that buys it on this forum, just because I could use that disposable income. ROTFLMAO

Just joking
Guy, I tough U was done here?

I didn;t see your name with the new name?

so how U will ban anyone if they kick U out?:loco:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Be hard to kick me out. I'm the fun one, I have all the jokes. Lol

Folks let's get back to cameras and not culture or race. It's a very diverse world with many cultures and customs. I know I may say something that someone in Brazil it may offend and it's only because of language and culture . Just no way to get that right every time. Sometimes you just have to ignore comments as usually they where innocent ones and you just don't get that part. Being on forums for years you learn that not all words have meanings you inderstand.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Guy, I tough U was done here?

I didn;t see your name with the new name?

so how U will ban anyone if they kick U out?:loco:
No worries,
Pick on Guy and I will surely ban you.
That is the long and short of it :)
-bob

bensonga

Yes, I was hoping that my half-joking post re the Ricoh GR Limited for the bargain price of $100 more would get this thread back on topic....ie "What the heck are those crazy people running Hasselblad smoking?!?!?" :loco:

I makes me long for the good old days of real Hasselblad Limited Editions....a Ferrari Red or Stainless H4D, a gorgeous blue and silver 503CW with matching Zeiss "Classic" lens, etc.

At least these were REAL HASSELBLADS! :thumbs:

Gary

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Holy CRAP!
there surely are markets defined all sorts of ways. Such as the decrepit 60-65 year old white guy to which I belong.
Do you know how many penis enlargement spams I get per day? Somebody has profiled me, bit that is the job of marketeers everywhere.
I will not tolerate any discussion relating to cultures or ethnicity in any negative way. OTOH a target market of "Wealthy asians" is not derogatory, it is just a segmentation.
Carry on an just stay on topic, That being the Hasselblad Sorar.
Anybody want to do a review :)
-bob

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The funny part is that the real Hasselblad collectible isn't any of the above. It's a 203 FE with the 110mm f/2.0. That combo will set you back the best part of $5,000 second hand, and that's just the basic version with WLF and no gadgets. Still that is not the camera/lens Hasselblad chose to build their future on :confused:

stephengilbert

"Is that Japanese for Hasselblad Solal ???"

I guess making fun of Japanese pronunciation isn't racist here in the Medium Format world. Maybe we need some definition of terms so that those of us who are too sensitive won't misjudge other posters.

bensonga

The funny part is that the real Hasselblad collectible isn't any of the above.
That may well be true. I know I'd love to have a 203FE with the 110/2 lens.

I'll just add that:
1) "Collectible" and "Limited Edition" are obviously not the same and
2) both of our examples are true Hasselblads, which is a big step up from the re-packaged Sony cameras that the new "Hasselblad" is trying to pass off as real Hasselblads.

Gary

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Is that Japanese for Hasselblad Solal ??? :ROTFL:
Well, my typo doesn't deserve that reaction.
Imagine trying to speak a sound that is not in your native tongue but a similar sound is in your usual speech.
Causes problems for non-native speakers world-wide.
So please, lets keep it to the camera, really!
-bob

Status
Not open for further replies.