The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad "Solar" !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well at least it looks like a camera. I'll give it that but nothing else. Ill ban the first person that buys it on this forum, just because I could use that disposable income. ROTFLMAO

Just joking

torger

Haha! Is the camera picture for real from Hasselblad, or is it some joker's mockup? Would not be surprised if it's real though...

markymarkrb

The most interesting thing is that this is based on the Sony A7R, which has 36MP and no optical low-pass filter. It has to be the same sensor used on the D800E.

markymarkrb

In all honesty, I think Hasselblad has something up their sleeve probably being the first to introduce CMOS based MF(probably with a Sony made chip). They didn't really have an answer to the IQ line and something tells me they chocked up their losses on that generation and are moving to the next generation while trying to make a few bucks on a Sony contract that none of us agree with.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It's photopshopped, and not by Hasselblad. There are several imperfections, most notably the skewed Hasselblad logo and the shadow area beneath and partly on top of it.

stephengilbert

Can't there be a new forum section for the Hasselblad deniers?

The original post was amusing, but you know it'll engender a whole litany of Hassy "humor."

BANKER1

Actually, if Hasselblad had waited for this iteration of Sony, they could have had a winner on their hands. That mock-up may not be far from the version Hasselblad markets in the future. And, to make it a winner, they would have had to make a reasonable mark-up; certainly not seven times the original version.

Greg

Can't there be a new forum section for the Hasselblad deniers?

The original post was amusing, but you know it'll engender a whole litany of Hassy "humor."
'Humor" is how people cope with situations they are powerless to influence.

People shout "stop digging your own grave!" and Hasselblad replies from below "there's gold down here!"

Douglas Fairbank

Humour is indeed a great thing and this has been a bit of fun, I have been known to use Photoshop for a purpose it was not designed for as has Hasselblad itself in their April 1st internal company memos, the left handed H3D for example.
I can see why Hasselblad would want to evoke the glory years by using space themed names for their new cameras but there is a reason manufacturers are cautious about using names.
Lunar, Stellar and even Solar seem OK but avoid Meteor (crash and burn), Nebula (almost a vacuum), Comet (here today gone tomorrow), Black Hole, that's enough for now, you get the idea. :ROTFL:

fotografz

Haha! Is the camera picture for real from Hasselblad, or is it some joker's mockup? Would not be surprised if it's real though...
No it isn't real ... Hasselblad won't get any A7Rs to bling up until the Sony version is close to being obsolete ... just before the Sony A8R 50 meg camera with no mechanical shutter is ready to be launched in 2014.:rolleyes:

Besides, this mock up looks to good ... it is missing the upside down Reese's Piece's control knobs.

- Marc

torger

But seriously I have not heard anything about how it goes with these new "luxury" products. Perhaps they're selling just fine? If not in western markets maybe they sell great in eastern markets? Their target group is of course not professional photographers or the type of amateur enthuisast that contributes to these types of forums.

I think it's kind of sad to see the Hasselblad brand take this turn, but they've been struggling with profitability for a long time so I see it as a desperate move, and maybe just maybe it works.

alajuela

But seriously I have not heard anything about how it goes with these new "luxury" products. Perhaps they're selling just fine? If not in western markets maybe they sell great in eastern markets? Their target group is of course not professional photographers or the type of amateur enthuisast that contributes to these types of forums.

I think it's kind of sad to see the Hasselblad brand take this turn, but they've been struggling with profitability for a long time so I see it as a desperate move, and maybe just maybe it works.
I think you are 100% correct. If the Hasselblad "Brand" catches on in Asia, China , Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia etc. Then they will make more money than they ever have, I assume this is their corporate strategy. They might even sell Hasselblad watches. Certainly Leica is looking to Asia for growth, but I think the difference is Leica is not pandering, and Hasselblad most certainly is.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I think you are 100% correct. If the Hasselblad "Brand" catches on in Asia, China , Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia etc. Then they will make more money than they ever have, I assume this is their corporate strategy. They might even sell Hasselblad watches. Certainly Leica is looking to Asia for growth, but I think the difference is Leica is not pandering, and Hasselblad most certainly is.
I can assure you that they are not selling well in Thailand. The distributor here, Shriro (Sounds familiar, doesn't it?), doesn't even stock it as far as I know, and the Lunar page on their website still says "Hasselblad plans Lunar launch". People with too much money in Thailand buy Leica, period. Every Leica product you can think of is in stock here. I seem to remember that my pusher had 3 x Noctilux in stock at some point, but not for long.

Edit: Just for fun, I went through the websites of all Hasselblad dealers in Hong Kong as well. None list the Lunar or the Steallar on their websites. Shriro is the Hasselblad distributor in HK as well, and in most other East Asian countries including China. Me thinks they are not too enthusiastic about this product :rolleyes:

Last edited:

jduncan

The most interesting thing is that this is based on the Sony A7R, which has 36MP and no optical low-pass filter. It has to be the same sensor used on the D800E.
Hi,

No it's not, according to Sony is a new chip. IT should be better than the D800's

Best regards,

J. Duncan

alajuela

I can assure you that they are not selling well in Thailand. The distributor here, Shriro (Sounds familiar, doesn't it?), doesn't even stock it as far as I know, and the Lunar page on their website still says "Hasselblad plans Lunar launch". People with too much money in Thailand buy Leica, period. Every Leica product you can think of is in stock here. I seem to remember that my pusher had 3 x Noctilux in stock at some point, but not for long.

Edit: Just for fun, I went through the websites of all Hasselblad dealers in Hong Kong as well. None list the Lunar or the Steallar on their websites. Shriro is the Hasselblad distributor in HK as well, and in most other East Asian countries including China. Me thinks they are not too enthusiastic about this product :rolleyes:
Hi

Yeah , Shriro has a presence here, and Nestor, and I think the Chinese are moving up into big time digital now, I was talking to friend and he told a "Delegation" went to France to pick up their AS kits.

I have seen them (Hasselblad) at HK airport can get one really fast, and in Shanghai, you are right , not near as many as Leica, but they just started this.

For Leica Shanghai has too many shops to count, Leica just opened a stand alone store on Nanjing Road, and who know where else, in Harbor City Kowloon HK, there is a new stand alone, and must dozens of shops with the entire Leica line, same as Shanghai.

I just think the Guys in charge at Hasselblad ,are looking at this and all the luxury brands and drooling. For regular Canons and Nikons, the demand is way down, no longer a fashion accessory, too common. Hasselblad is probably also taking direction from Sony, and they certainly know the Asian market.

Who would ever believe the amount of Ferrari and Lamborghini and 911s that are bought to drive in city traffic. Its all new found wealth and looking for somewhere to spend it. A different world. :eek:

Everything's a gamble betting on something in China, but they Hasselblad might make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.