The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

who is using the IQ260 / 280 tether function?

rupho

Dear all,
I was wondering if anybody used the tether function of the new Phase One back? I traded my 180 for a 260 a while back and while I am generally happy with it I would like 2 things to get changed:
1: display the last taken image first
2: allow the full transmission (not just temporary display) of the embedded jpeg so it can stay in Capture Pilot and can be viewed once downloaded. this would save time viewing pix and DB battery power.

I think #1 could be easily fixed through firmware fix but how about #2: I think the way Canon implements this by simultaneously creating a jpeg alongside a RAW which gets transmitted to the iPad is better for my workflow since it can take a while for the last images to come if I got lots of pix on my CF card.

How are you dealing with this?

Grischa

alajuela

Dear all,
I was wondering if anybody used the tether function of the new Phase One back? I traded my 180 for a 260 a while back and while I am generally happy with it I would like 2 things to get changed:
1: display the last taken image first
2: allow the full transmission (not just temporary display) of the embedded jpeg so it can stay in Capture Pilot and can be viewed once downloaded. this would save time viewing pix and DB battery power.

I think #1 could be easily fixed through firmware fix but how about #2: I think the way Canon implements this by simultaneously creating a jpeg alongside a RAW which gets transmitted to the iPad is better for my workflow since it can take a while for the last images to come if I got lots of pix on my CF card.

How are you dealing with this?

Grischa

Hi

I have the the IQ 280 and use it tethered and with wi-fi. I am confused by your question, it seems as thought you are taking about Capture Pilot with wi-fi.

With wi-fi the image is NOT downloaded to to ipad, the ipad reads a small "jpeg" from the back (similar to to the image shown on the IQ back after you take it)

It was explained to me that to download the images (actual files) via wi-fi to the ipad would be near impossible since they are too large, wi-fi / capture pilot is not cable to capture one via firewire of USB3.

My wish list would be for focus confirmation and I agree it would be nice if there was away to store (these jpeg type) images on the ipad.

Maybe I misinterpreted your question, and one of the gurus will step in and give the correct answer

I do like the the new IQ backs

Phil

rupho

Sorry for the confusion
Yes I meant Capture Pilot and I would like to see the image stored on the iPad. The way Canon handles it is that the camera saves 2 files : a small low jpeg and e full sized RAW. The latter stays in the camera and the Jpeg gets transmitted to my iPad and resides there, which would make it easier on the battery if t does not have to be " screened " to the iPad .
If that snot possible I think the option of seeing the last shot on the CF card first would help as well. If you end up with a 100+ images it really takes a while to see the latest image .
I wonder if anybody knows of a work around

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I've been struggling through the use of Capture Pilot with my IQ260 over WiFi. It's a neat addition but not without some limitations.

1) Rendering previews in reverse chronological order. YES - Phase One please implement this because it's an utter PIA to have Capture Pilot pull down preview images from the first one on the card. If you have something like a 32GB card and have been shooting for a couple of days it's extremely tedious to have to scroll down to the end while Capture Pilot is attempting to download and catch up. The good news is that once you've got the to the last image and view it, subsequent images from the back do appear next.

My workaround is to rapidly scroll down as the images start arriving in an attempt to get to the end. I don't know of a better way yet.

2) JPG cache on iPad. I would certainly like to be able to capture the downloaded jpg image from the Capture Pilot view to the iPad. You can do a screen print but since the image is already in the iPad, why not allow us to save it. Ditto the thumbnails - cache the ones we've rendered since we're downloading them anyway.

Btw, I'm just talking about the thumbnails and local rendered small images - not the full 60/80mp raw of course.

3) Histogram: Why not allow me to view an RGB histogram in Pilot? It seems we only get the luminance data and even then only a small version.

4) How about using the power of the iPad for other functions such as an exposure timer? I'm shooting mostly with a technical camera and multi-second exposures. It would be nice to fire off a timer on the iPad (within Capture Pilot) and see progress without having to use my watch or the view on the back of the IQ back.

5) Tethering shooting with the DF: I like it although I find it ironic that you have to pay for this extra functionality - ok, it's cheap but it's the principle of the thing! Not all functions are supported though I found. It would be great to have a built in intervalometer, user defined bracketing, etc etc. You know, the stuff you get with a $5 iPad app.

The whole WiFi connection thing though is still unreliable at times. Once I statically defined connectivity from my iPad/iPhone/iPad Mini to the back along with static IP addresses things have gotten a lot more reliable. However, in an environment with a lot of wifi channels in use, adhoc is still unreliable with my iPad Mini (strangely enough, if I connect with my iPhone but not use Capture Pilot, my iPad Mini will connect and run Capture Pilot, at least until I disconnect the phone whereupon the Capture Pilot session and connectivity on the iPad mini fails - go figure, but only in crowded wifi environments).

Phase One IQ2 series are great backs but Capture Pilot is still at baby steps level IMHO as a powerful adjunct to the back/camera.