The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Creative Tethering

alajuela

Hi

I would be interested to know what solutions people have found for tethering to a laptop in the field apart from a second tripod.

Thanks

Phil

foster_jb

Hi Phil,

This solution depends a bit on the weight of your laptop, but I see you made another post about a Mac book Air, so that should be fine. It also appears you don't want to haul a second tripod along and are trying to minimize the amount of equipment you bring. In that case, one option is to look at the manfrotto Flex Arm. There is a normal and heavy duty option. You can pair this with a super clamp to attach to your tripod. Then just bend and adjust the flex arm to a suitable viewing position. Also, you need to have a laptop deck/support which can attach to the 5/8" stud on the arm. There are many of these laptop decks available, at various sizes, and some specifically for Macs, so you shouldn't have a hard time finding one to suit you.

I've read some of your other posts where you are shooting with an AS 6x9 M Line, which I also use. Are you planning on taking this out into the "wild" of Shanghai?

Foster

alajuela

Hi Phil,

This solution depends a bit on the weight of your laptop, but I see you made another post about a Mac book Air, so that should be fine. It also appears you don't want to haul a second tripod along and are trying to minimize the amount of equipment you bring. In that case, one option is to look at the manfrotto Flex Arm. There is a normal and heavy duty option. You can pair this with a super clamp to attach to your tripod. Then just bend and adjust the flex arm to a suitable viewing position. Also, you need to have a laptop deck/support which can attach to the 5/8" stud on the arm. There are many of these laptop decks available, at various sizes, and some specifically for Macs, so you shouldn't have a hard time finding one to suit you.

I've read some of your other posts where you are shooting with an AS 6x9 M Line, which I also use. Are you planning on taking this out into the "wild" of Shanghai?

Foster
Hi Foster

Thank you for the suggestion, I will check this out. It does seem from other members that the Mac is an option. I am going to research the deck support, as I have the Gitzo tray (which weights as much as the tether tools - too much) I am hoping to save some weight there.

On the AS M Line. I have taken it into the wilds (parks and down to the waterfront) I love it - the setup just makes so much sense. As you are surely aware it is not "portable" you are sorta planted. One of the great things about is that you can experiment with any lens without have to get them mounted in a tech mount. Do you take yours outside?

Thanks again

Phil

foster_jb

Hi Phil,

Have you seen the Aero, by tether tools? It weighs in at 2.5 pounds. I'm not sure that I have seen a lighter deck than this on the market.

I also forgot to mention the Manfrotto Magic Arm, yet, it is a lot heaver than the flexible arm (2.5 pounds versus 0.85 pounds).

I'm glad that you are having fun taking it outside. I actually shoot a lot of landscapes with mine. I bought it from a photographer who shot landscapes with it as well, and I remember being really pleased to have found someone who was as "crazy" as I am.... Most others gave me a funny look when I said I wanted to use a 6x9 M Line in the field. But I love it!

Since I know well the weight you are dealing with, I do think that the flexible arm is a viable way to go. The camera on a tripod will already be enough weight to counter-balance a light laptop extended on the flexible arm.

If you are really trying to save every ounce possible and will be dedicating your laptop to mainly field work, you could forget the deck and simply buy a "Baby Wall Plate" mount with 5/8" locking receiver and attach it directly to the bottom of your laptop. It's lighter.... but it seems like it would have to be permanently attached.

In a past life, I lived in Shanghai. It was a good time. In my mind's eye I can see you standing somewhere with all that gear, and having all the curious locals crowding around and checking you out. How do you manage to get shots??

Foster

foster_jb

Hi,

I had looked at that, but saw it was about 5 pounds... Though I just checked out their site again, and it appears there is a new "light" version at 1.5 pounds. That seems like it could work.

Foster

alajuela

Hi Phil,

Foster
Hi Phil,

Have you seen the Aero, by tether tools? It weighs in at 2.5 pounds. I'm not sure that I have seen a lighter deck than this on the market.

I also forgot to mention the Manfrotto Magic Arm, yet, it is a lot heaver than the flexible arm (2.5 pounds versus 0.85 pounds).

I'm glad that you are having fun taking it outside. I actually shoot a lot of landscapes with mine. I bought it from a photographer who shot landscapes with it as well, and I remember being really pleased to have found someone who was as "crazy" as I am.... Most others gave me a funny look when I said I wanted to use a 6x9 M Line in the field. But I love it!

Since I know well the weight you are dealing with, I do think that the flexible arm is a viable way to go. The camera on a tripod will already be enough weight to counter-balance a light laptop extended on the flexible arm.

If you are really trying to save every ounce possible and will be dedicating your laptop to mainly field work, you could forget the deck and simply buy a "Baby Wall Plate" mount with 5/8" locking receiver and attach it directly to the bottom of your laptop. It's lighter.... but it seems like it would have to be permanently attached.

In a past life, I lived in Shanghai. It was a good time. In my mind's eye I can see you standing somewhere with all that gear, and having all the curious locals crowding around and checking you out. How do you manage to get shots??

Foster
Hi Foster

Yes but the Aero is over 2 lb, about the same as my Gitzo tray, I want to get this down in weight, I have been focusing on the weight reduction. This is the last step - I got my AS down to the 3 series RRS and the cube.

The Tech (and DF) is now working well on my Gitzo series 2 (3 part leg) with the AS P0 (I love it) head (replaced my novoflex) - The Mac Book pro will be replaced with the air. For tethering, I think now I have two options

1. I found Nine Volt lite system that Jwoo and yourself note, weights 1.5 lb and folds up nicely. It also can hang from the same tripod on the Gitzo series 2 or

2. Mount on the the traveler gitzo

All in all I save about 5 lbs. - That's great.

I might just pick the flex arm as I already have a clamp.

When did you live in Shanghai? Your minds eye is great, last week I was in Fuxing Park and you describe the scene perfectly. Look on my web site - maybe you will get home sick :) I'll gladly send you any jpegs on any shots you see there.

Also check out Large Format Nature Photography by Jack Dykinga - he uses the AS F metric - great cameras.

I should put this all together in the next several weeks when I am in Miami, I will post some photos.

Phil

alajuela

Anyone using the digi plate?
N i n e - V o l t
Hi,

I had looked at that, but saw it was about 5 pounds... Though I just checked out their site again, and it appears there is a new "light" version at 1.5 pounds. That seems like it could work.

Foster
Hi I just ordered the lite version, I'll let everyone know in about two weeks. Thanks
so much for all the input. Lets see, how it is - I'll share the results

Thanks again

Phil

cunim

I do love shooting with the M, even outside the studio. However, I find that once the sun is out, the laptop screen needs a shade and the sun can't be behind you and gosh this is heavy and .... It all just gets to be too much of pain. So, I use a Hoodman and spend a little extra time moving the zoomed IQ screen display around. It seems to work OK for a simple tilt or swing. For anything more complex it fails (at least in my hands) and my little demon reminds me there is coffee in the studio.

How do you handle screen visibility outdoors?

foster_jb

Hi Phil,

Yes, as others have mentioned, looking forward to your feedback on the Lite version.

I lived in Shanghai from 2004 to 2007. Before that, I was up north in Tianjin from 2001 to 2004. Have to say, in terms of lifestyle, I preferred Shanghai. I also must admit that I do miss China, quite a bit... Managed to get back to Shanghai this last Christmas to visit some friends and really enjoyed being back there. I miss all the chaos...

As for shading the laptop screen, well, there are several collapsible shades out there, and again, some made specifically for the MacBook Air.

Foster

cunim

Hi Phil,

As for shading the laptop screen, well, there are several collapsible shades out there, and again, some made specifically for the MacBook Air.

Foster
Thanks Foster. I have tried various shades with PC portables without being really happy with any of them. Reminds me of handling an 8x10 in gusty conditions. Sure you can do it, but you don't really want too. So there I am squinting at my IQ screen and trying to evaluate tilts with that.

Given the topic of "creative tethering", I am hoping that someone has found something better. You know, the real answer may be better tethering software. Both C1 and Phocus require way too much button pushing when comparing local focus after movement. So much harder than just zipping around the ground glass with a loupe. Imagine a tablet with "focus far evaluate near" implemented as a simple one-touch function. Tablets are easier to mount and shade than laptops, so that would be good. Sadly, C1 Pilot is the only app I know of and trying to use that was - painful.

foster_jb

Hi Cunim,

Oh yes, trust me, I would LOVE for there to be a better solution as well. I'm just rather pessimistic about it at the moment...

There is an interesting solution for the DSLRs which I was hoping could be ported to a MFDB, but I doubt it can. Have you heard of the CamRanger? It allows for wireless viewing through an Ipad, among other things...

We'll see what the future brings.

Foster

mmbma

Anyone tried tethering with Surface Pro 1/2? In theory it should work no differently than your desktop.

lenslover

I know this is a bit of a side-issue, but are there any problems with tethering the FireWire 400 backs, P65+ for instance, to the later MacBook Airs or Pros? Just having the cords doesn't always mean things work as they should.

Thanks,

Bill

Jae_Moon

I know this is a bit of a side-issue, but are there any problems with tethering the FireWire 400 backs, P65+ for instance, to the later MacBook Airs or Pros? Just having the cords doesn't always mean things work as they should.

Thanks,

Bill
I use RMBP13 with my P45 without any problems. Cables/adapter: TB -> FW800 -> FW400

Jae Moon

alajuela

Thanks,

Bill
No problems, I was tethering today with a P45+ and a Mac Book Air running OS X 10.8.4 - same set up as Jae

Phil

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
No issues.

A good quality FW800-FW400 "just works". The official Phase One 400-800 cable can be purchased through our online store: Online Store

MacBookAirs that don't have Firewire can use Thunderbolt adapter with one minor settings change.

See also: Apple Thunderbolt Firewire Adapter Tests - DT Blog

Jae_Moon

Hi I just ordered the lite version, I'll let everyone know in about two weeks. Thanks
so much for all the input. Lets see, how it is - I'll share the results

Thanks again

Phil
Phil:

Have you had a chance to try out with 'Digi-Plate'? I have been looking for something like that for a while.

Jae Moon