The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ260 Achromatic - more samples

V

Vivek

"Poorman's achromatic" would be a gross injustice to all the poor men out there. So, I won't use that.

I am glad that I am fortunate enough to use a Leica MM. :)

As wonderful it is, I am curious how many of these backs were ever sold for real cash since their inception?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I used the Acromatic and it is a wonderful back but it also is expensive and very a specialized back. But if this is your type of shooting than nothing can touch it. Actually they sell more than you would think. I also shot the Leica monochrome and it was damn fun to shoot and certainly more folks can afford it, so obviously more sales on it. They both are very interesting tools.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If we put a crew together I'll happily drive the getaway car. :D

Btw, word from my buddy Mr Achromatic/Achromatic+, is that the older P45+ Achromatic+ with visible only IR cut is even more awesome than the current IQ full spectrum Achromatic. Just saying. It gives you the option of true visible B&W and long exposure ... for some, that really matters. Oh and no messing with IR cut filters in addition to any B&W red/yellow/orange/green colour filters.

GrahamWelland

As wonderful it is, I am curious how many of these backs were ever sold for real cash since their inception?
You might be surprised. Now how many have been sold to regular shooters vs scientific use is another discussion. I know where a whole stash live and that person uses them all for art.

gerald.d

If we put a crew together I'll happily drive the getaway car. :D

Btw, word from my buddy Mr Achromatic/Achromatic+, is that the older P45+ Achromatic+ with visible only IR cut is even more awesome than the current IQ full spectrum Achromatic. Just saying. It gives you the option of true visible B&W and long exposure ... for some, that really matters. Oh and no messing with IR cut filters in addition to any B&W red/yellow/orange/green colour filters.
Now that is interesting. I'm assuming a few of these would have been traded in for the 260. I wonder what they go for?

gerald.d

Just thought I'd give this a gentle bump since a few more months have passed.

Anyone know whether this has happened, and what P45+ Achromatics go for these days?

Kind regards,

Gerald.

gerald.d

Direct Digital Imaging in the UK are selling a used one - £12k (~US$20k).
Thanks for the heads up.

Just a little surprised that there are not more floating about. I'm seriously considering hanging onto the 180 and getting an Achromatic for long exposure, rather than looking to trade the 180 for a 260 (colour) now.

Not a huge amount of difference in the cost, and of course opens up a whole new set of possibilities.

Will keep my eye open for them!

GrahamWelland

Gerald,

I suspect that this is a niche where if you dial around with genuine interest you might find that the dealers either have, or can find, what you are looking for. I found it useful to ask my dealer to keep a look out for X and lo and behold a few months later I got the call. (X not being an achromatic btw alas)

narikin

Can you explain more as to why this is?

I assumed that the IQ260Achro would be an improvement, unless you want long exposures.

GrahamWelland

Newer isn't always 'better'. The Dalsa vs Kodak sensor thing I assume comes in to the mix too.

Also if you are shooting B&W only, the other light frequencies will have an effect on the final image, neither good nor bad depending on your preferences for the look, but a difference nonetheless. Having an IR cut filter on the back vs the lens just means that you're filtering out those other frequencies and no cut off lens filters are required which can be a pain in the a** since they are expensive and you'll need step up rings and/or multiple filters.

gerald.d

My word.

No wonder Achromatic+'s are almost impossible to get hold of. Pry it from my cold dead hands? Not a chance. This things going to the grave with me.

Pics later in the week once I've hopefully got my head around what this thing can do.