The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Yet more tethering know-how required!

adamduckworth

I have just upgraded from 645DF and P40+ to a DF+ and IQ160, and am looking for some tethering advice.

On the P40+ I used a super-long FW cable, with a FW converted to FW800, to another Thunderbolt converter to work on my Macbook Air. Sounds like problems waiting to happen, but was in fact perfect!

Now on the IQ160 I have a choice of USB3 and FW (via connector). Does anyone have any experience of which is the most stable?

Also, both supplied cables are quite short. Does anyone have any recommendations for longer cables? Like the Tethertools ones? And again, USB3 or FW?

Also, is there a recommended "order" for booting things up to make the tethering to Capture One more robust? In my first few tests I've had to re-start C1, re-start the camera, even take the battery out. Not wonderful.

Just looking for some advice from users more experienced in the IQ series than me.

Thanks!

kipling

I have the same combo as you, PhaseDF and IQ160 and I've been using 5 Meter FW cables for years now. They're stable and fast.

I can definetly recommend the cables from Calumet, they're high quality cables that I use almost daily and they last a long time if you're careful with them.

I've never needed a longer cable than 5 Meters and I'm weary about using a powered extension, but it would probably work. Phase backs are extremely stable when tethered, maybe because they're powered by battery as well as the cable, who knows, but they just always seem to work.

As far as the order goes, I usually start C1, then attach the cable to the computer and then to the back, then I start the camera. I've probably done it in a different order as well but I've never had problems, regardless of how I do it. Make sure the battery in the back is well charged and tape the cable to the computer so that it can't move around in the FW port. Other than that I leave Open CL turned off in the preferences and I usually turn off the option of charging the battery while tethered.

IMO you'll get the best results using a Macbook pro with Dual Drives (SSD for your applications) if you're looking to tether fast.

I don't have any experience with USB3, but theoretically it should be faster.
Would be interesting to try out. 10 feet is the longest I've seen though.

kipling

collecting tickets in berlin is a favorite pastime of mine ; )
let me know how usb 3 works out.
best, kipling