The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

HTS 1.5 or a Cambo

I've shot food commercially for 30 years. I started with 4x5 and 8X10 Cambos. When I made the shift to digital in 2006, I went with a Cambo Ultima 23 and a Leaf digital back mounted on a sliding back. For the record, I'm still using my old film lenses, Rodenstock and Schneider 100 and 150mm 5.6. I take full advantage of the camera movements for the pictures that I take and can't imagine making photographs without them. Not saying it can't be done...there's lots of great food pictures taken with something other than a view camera...they just don't fit well in with my work habits.

palermo

I've shot food commercially for 30 years. I started with 4x5 and 8X10 Cambos. When I made the shift to digital in 2006, I went with a Cambo Ultima 23 and a Leaf digital back mounted on a sliding back. For the record, I'm still using my old film lenses, Rodenstock and Schneider 100 and 150mm 5.6. I take full advantage of the camera movements for the pictures that I take and can't imagine making photographs without them. Not saying it can't be done...there's lots of great food pictures taken with something other than a view camera...they just don't fit well in with my work habits.
Nice work! good stuff.

Thanks.
The only real time that the view camera is a hinderance to me is when I'm shooting ice cream, as the extra step/time involved in doing a focus check can be an issue. I don't shoot tons of ice cream, only on occasion. I used to put the Leaf on my Hasselblad when I needed the ability to focus quickly and then a few years went by where I didn't use it, so I foolishly sold the bodies and lenses.

As I type this, I'm bidding on a large ice cream project, wishing that I had the old Hasselblad available to me. I may need to buy something for the short term, or do a rental to accommodate this particular project.

Professional

I don't have a way to compare as I've never used a digital version. I can say though that I can't see any shortcomings of the analog lenses, at least with my older back.
Yes, i don't have digital versions yet, but as you said, those analog ones are no slouch as well, i even tested my family cheap Canon DSLR [500D] on my Shen Hao with Rodenstock lens and it was unbelievable sharp and details, i even confuse which is sharper, this or my Hasselblad H Macro lens, so that i was thinking how the digital LF compared to that.

Yes, i don't have digital versions yet, but as you said, those analog ones are no slouch as well, i even tested my family cheap Canon DSLR [500D] on my Shen Hao with Rodenstock lens and it was unbelievable sharp and details, i even confuse which is sharper, this or my Hasselblad H Macro lens, so that i was thinking how the digital LF compared to that.
I'm sure there are 'technical' reasons as to why the digital versions are better? But, from a practical standpoint....

When I went digital, my budget covered the back/camera/computers, etc., with not much left over for new digital lenses to replace the lenses that I already owned and had used for years. I put the old lenses on the new camera system and never looked back. My images are used commercially; packaging,advertising, etc. I typically get to see the finished results and so far, all of my expectations (and more importantly , those of my clients) have been met with this old glass.

Professional

I'm sure there are 'technical' reasons as to why the digital versions are better? But, from a practical standpoint....

When I went digital, my budget covered the back/camera/computers, etc., with not much left over for new digital lenses to replace the lenses that I already owned and had used for years. I put the old lenses on the new camera system and never looked back. My images are used commercially; packaging,advertising, etc. I typically get to see the finished results and so far, all of my expectations (and more importantly , those of my clients) have been met with this old glass.
Excellent, this is all what it is about then, getting the job done and become happy!!!

I am very new to those LF and even MF things and i just have 4 lenses analog for LF [2 for Graphics cameras], not going to give up them for digital any soon, and not have too if i can have the budget for digital separately one day, but i must get a tech cam first.