The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Influence of format size on a photograph

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
We all feel your pain.

It would be easier if it was possible to distill the incredibly rich combination of technology/craft/art of a particular camera system down to a single variable.

jimban

The larger the sensor the less magnification is required to produce a print of a given size. To make a 10 inch long side print with a 35mm sensor takes a magnification factor of 7.25X with a 54X40 sensor the factor is about 4.7X.

assuming similar pixel density there is always more info in a given print from a larger sensor.

jim

Shashin

Jim, if you take any object and reproduce it to a particular prints size, the total magnification is exactly the same regardless of format used. Just smaller formats use less magnification to begin with.

Paratom

I can't explain the physical reasons but I can tell that I do prefer the images I get out of the S-Systems over those from the M-System in regards of IQ, and those from the M over those I get from m43.
How much comes from lens, how much from sensor size, how much from sensor type? I can't tell but I think the differences are clearly visible.
I find to see a clear difference if you browse through the MF-image thread and then through an image thread of smaller formats-so I think it doesn't show only when printing big.
Differences IMO are color, transition between tones but also transition from focus plane to out of focus areas and sharpness/detail.

jerome_m

Jerome,
Would you care to mention them?

In a nutshell:
-higher resolution. Many "reviews" try to have us forget that difference by publishing pictures reduced to the smaller resolution of 24x36 cameras, but one should not forget that digital MF resolution starts where 24x36 stops. MF is 40-80 mpix. If one needs that resolution for huge enlargements (and some people do), it is either MF or stitch.
-better lenses at medium apertures. MF lenses are bigger (even considering the bigger image circles) and routinely use more elements. The reasons are mainly commercial: the manufacturer can charge more money and customers do not insist on very fast apertures on expensive lenses. The optical engineers can therefore optimize for better correction of aberrations at medium apertures and better corner sharpness.
-different photographic practices: MF users often shoot in studio and control light better. Higher average production values translate to higher average quality in the public's mind (this is not inherently due to the cameras, but contributes to the idea that "MF is better" nevertheless).
-better bokeh: that one is counter-intuitive. MF needs smaller apertures for the same depth of field. Moreover, MF users tend to use larger depth of field than 24x36 users for portraits. In the end, MF portraits may be shot at f/5.6-f/8 when 24x36 portraits may use f/1.4-f/2.0. Secondary optical aberrations are insignificant at the apertures used in MF practice, while they change the out-of-focus highlights shapes and color in 24x36 practice. Bokeh is very dependent on aperture.
-slightly better color separation: 24x36 cameras are a different compromise which includes optimization for less noise at high iso, leading to less selective primary filters, a hotter adjustment of their meter and different choices in the internal treatment. MF manufacturers optimize for studio practice where there is plenty of light. The post processing chain is calibrated for more flattering skin tones, since this is part of their core market. The A-D converters and meter are set up to keep more of the information in the highlights (at the expense of worse shadow noise).

There is nothing inherently different in a bigger sensor (except, usually, higher full well values for bigger pixels but MF does not always have bigger pixels, just more of them), but there are practical consequences in choosing a bigger sensor that leads to different choices as to lens, used aperture and calibration. These are, in turn, responsible for a slightly different rendering of MF.