The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ejji or Phase One Official Batteries

6x6

For all you Phase One / Mamiya 645DF(+) users out there.

Ejji camera batteries are less than half the price of the official Phase One accessory. Is there anything about the Ejji ones that people don't like? I'm trying to keep my costs down with my 645DF until Phase One introduce a new camera (hopefully soon!). However using AA batteries is just unbelievably frustrating.

I'm planning on buying the Ejji MK 2 version, but will buy the official version if there is a good reason to do so.

Thanks for any help!

kdphotography

I'm not familiar with a "MK 2" version, but the EJJI battery was the first to be introduced for the DF body, and then for whatever reason, Phase One released their version of the lithium battery insert.

Either the EJJI or the Phase branded version are essentially the same and will provide your camera body with ample steady power, and possibly help avoid reported *glitches* and lock-ups when using normal AAs and rechargeable AAs (don't do it). Lithium AAs are a good backup in the battery insert.

BUT, select either the EJJI version of the Phase version----and not both. The batteries themselves may be interchangeable in the camera body, but the chargers are not interchangeable. We discovered that at the last CI in Carmel, the Phase branded lithium battery insert will not fit or charge in the EJJI charger.

Of course, if you want two different chargers on your desk.... :D

I have two EJJI batteries in use in my DF. I've yet to run a battery down any appreciable amount during a photo session. They are that good. I easily could have bought only one battery instead of two.

ken

When the EJJI batteries first came about, a Phase One dealer (forgot which) ran a test to see how long it would last. They kept a body firing off shots for over a while and 10,000 shots later it still didn't run out. Phase should really make their backs power-able via the camera body.

Steve Hendrix

When the EJJI batteries first came about, a Phase One dealer (forgot which) ran a test to see how long it would last. They kept a body firing off shots for over a while and 10,000 shots later it still didn't run out. Phase should really make their backs power-able via the camera body.
Ah - that was us.

https://captureintegration.com/ejji-10k-rechargeable-battery/

Right now the Ejji 2 is a no brainer because the pricing is $298 for 2 lithium batteries and a charger. The original pricing z(reflected in the above link) was $499 for the same Ejji 1 kit.

https://captureintegration.com/product/ejji-mark-ii-2-batteries-charger-kit/

As far as I know, the only difference between the I and II is the charger (dropping the USB). And we haven't noticed any difference in performance between the units that come with the Phase DF+ and the independent Ejji kits.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

6x6

Thanks guys. I'm going with the Ejji batteries.

From my research the MK2 changes are:

1. Charger is now not the standard mini or micro USB. They now use a standard round pin connection. This stops people using the charger for their mobile, which apparently had disastrous results.

2. The battery has changed shape very slightly to make it less of a tight fit in the battery housing of the camera. The MK1 was supposed to be quite tight.

3. The charger is now a slightly different shape to stop the Phase batteries being put into the Ejji charger.

I think that is it.

I second the back being powered by the camera battery. However the back would still need to have a battery compartment for tech cameras. Maybe they could have a blank for when you are using a 645DF?

6x6

Thank you Steve.

Its good to know that the performance of the Ejji and the Phase One official issue batteries is about the same. The price is far from the same, so it helps make my decision.

Don Libby

I was very lucky and just happened to be visiting Capture Integration when their first shipment arrive; ended up buying 2-batteries and a charger.

It's now close to 2-years later and I'm just as happy now as I was then. I've shot in all conditions from super hot to extreme cold without a hitch. Like Ken I could have saved a couple bucks and just gone with one battery however I'm a belt/suspenders type when looking at batteries. There has been only one-occasion while shooting outdoors in the winter in Jackson Hole when I felt the need to swap batteries in that case I had been shoots a couple days outdoors and the battery meter suddenly went down. I'm certain I could of kept going with the one battery bu=t better safe.

I think I remember reading somewhere that the Phase batteries are the very same as the Ejji the only difference was shape to make them "diferent".

6x6

Thanks for all your feedback people.

So I have ordered direct from Ejji - website: Ejji 10K Battery MK-2

If someone should find this post via search, here was my rationale:

Ejji Battery Kit (2 batteries + charger): €218 + shipping + duty.

Currency Converted Totals: €300; £250; $400

OR

Phase official batteries: (UK) £475 + VAT (20%) = £570

Currency Converted Totals: €680; £570; $915

example website: Direct Digital Imaging - Phase One 645 Camera Rechargeable battery system (I'm not deliberately picking out any particular dealer, just using this website as an example!)

Not a small difference in price!

Steve Hendrix

Thanks for all your feedback people.

So I have ordered direct from Ejji - website: Ejji 10K Battery MK-2

If someone should find this post via search, here was my rationale:

Ejji Battery Kit (2 batteries + charger): €218 + shipping + duty.

Currency Converted Totals: €300; £250; $400

OR

Phase official batteries: (UK) £475 + VAT (20%) = £570

Currency Converted Totals: €680; £570; $915

example website: Direct Digital Imaging - Phase One 645 Camera Rechargeable battery system (I'm not deliberately picking out any particular dealer, just using this website as an example!)

Not a small difference in price!

Way to go!

Just an FYI - our Ejji 2 battery/1 charger kit is $298 and we do ship internationally. Depending on the tax situation, it still may be a better deal to buy in town, but just letting everyone know.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration