The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Time Lines - PhaseOne Backs

jvora

Hello :

Can anyone confirm the timelines when the last few PhaseOne Backs were launched -

When was the P65/65+, IQ First Series and IQ Second Series introduced ?

Thanks,

Jai

P series came out 2004/5, P+ came out 2007/8, IQ1 in 2011 and IQ2 in 2013.

Despite the long product cycles, not much actually changes between generations; besides usability improvements, the P65+/IQ160 and P40+/IQ140 are the same thing, as are the IQ180/IQ280.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
See here: Phase One Timeline

I check in on that page every once in a while to make sure it's accurate.

P series came out 2004/5, P+ came out 2007/8, IQ1 in 2011 and IQ2 in 2013.

Despite the long product cycles, not much actually changes between generations; besides usability improvements, the P65+/IQ160 and P40+/IQ140 are the same thing, as are the IQ180/IQ280.
LOL, tough crowd.

Other than
- the LCD which is larger, higher in pixel density, higher in pixel count, shows more accurate color, and is brighter
- the introduction of UDMA6 for faster CF card read/write (it was in fact the first camera that included UDMA6)
- switching to FW800 for faster tethering
- the addition of USB3 (granted it took them a long time to enable this feature in firmware)
- the switch to a touch screen which allowed intuitive features like tap-to-zoom-on-a-specific-frame-area and customizing features by holding your finger on them
- the addition of an adjustable focus mask in-camera
- the addition of an adjustable exposure warning
- the addition of a 2-axis tilt indicator, including embedding them in the metadata for auto correction of perspective and horizon in capture one (P+ had a one-axis indicator and did not record the result in metadata)
- the allowance for a larger variety of customizable grids and guides
- the ability to review the last 10 images on screen when tethered
- the ability to charge the battery while using firewire so that shoots which include both tethered and untethered shooting rarely require battery changes
- the introduction of a browser-thumbnail mode for quickly finding shots on a card (useful to me as a wedding photographer when the bride wants to see an image from earlier in the day)
- the addition of a 5-year warranty option (rather than 3-year max on P+)
- the crafting of a new chassis which maintains Phase One's reputation for bullet-proof industrial design [not really new, the P+ was like this as well, just nice that we didn't lose it]

Other than those few minor things "not much actually changes between generations" :p.

Though the underlying point is surely correct - improvements to image quality were made, but they were not large.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
As long as the beautiful character of the CCD sensors isn't lost, modern live view would be a fine feature. But that character is a large part of what makes these backs appealing.

My opinion only,

Matt

As long as the beautiful character of the CCD sensors isn't lost, modern live view would be a fine feature. But that character is a large part of what makes these backs appealing.

My opinion only,

Matt
I'm sure that something can be done, the CCD video cameras used for sports broadcasting can go up to 90fps for those slow-motion playback sequences, so I doubt that CCDs are an inherently flawed technology. Similarly, I sometimes wonder what a 2013 CRT monitor would look like, flat panels can only do now what a good Sony CRT could 12 years ago.