The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ideas on what to do with a RZ Pro-IID system?

fotografz

Hi all, I have a Mamiya RZ system languishing in my gear closet.

It consists of a like new, very low use RZ Pro-IID body, a slew of interesting mint to E+ lenses from a fisheye, to a 140 Macro, to a 180 Imagon type lens to a 210 APO, and other assorted WA and normal lenses ... plus a boatload of accessories like a grip, motor, various viewfinders some with magnifiers on them, a number of film backs, extenders 1.4X etc. etc. etc.. Also, have boxes for most of it.

I have come to the conclusion that since semi-retiring and getting a Leica S2, I'll never get a digital back for the RZD even though it is a wonderful kit.

The prospect of selling it piecemeal is such a PITA ... I just won't do it ... ever. Every time I think of doing that, I lay down and take a nap :ROTFL:

A few thoughts that crossed my mind:

Donate it all to an art or photo school, and take the write off.

Find a disadvantaged student and just give it to them. Have to ask my tax guy if I can use that as a write off.

Sell it in-mass to a wholesaler or retailer, and just write off the loss if possible.

In all cases, at least someone will get some use out of it.

Any other ideas?

Any prospects for a donation that you can think of?

I wonder if there are DB resellers that donate older backs to schools that I could piggy-back onto for a complete system donation?

Any ideas welcome,

- Marc

fotografz

Thanks Vivek.

I'm really trying to reduce inventory. I had a bunch of H lenses and the Hasselblad H to S adapted HT/S unit that I just sold recently. I no longer need so many MF lenses or T/S capability.

I have a mint Rollie Xact-II with a 4 lenses, W/A bellows, and a H mount Kapture Group sliding back to get rid of ... may donate that to a worthy cause also ... or sell it cheap to a struggling art type photographer to support the art aspect.

I've got so much languishing stuff it isn't even funny ... a killer Kaiser MF enlarger and Rodenstock El lenses, 250,000 filters :rolleyes:, A huge collection of LEE shades and filters ... more bags than Samsonite ... so much lighting gear that I could open a rental house ... on and on.

My wife is even on my back about getting all the boxes out of the garage so we can get a third car in there (her sister's vintage Lexus :facesmack:).

Gotta get this stuff out of here.

Pack-Rat R Us. :ROTFL:

- Marc

V

Vivek

Marc, ~15 years ago, a friend of mine in Berkeley donated a complete set of (well used) Bronica ETRs system. Though I was not really a student but on a cusp. I took it reluctantly. It did see quite a bit of use in my hands after getting the bodies serviced.

I can ask John for you if he knows a place or people who would put your RZ to real use. He came from a CA community college.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
So will Sean at Camera West and he is a Leica Boutique Dealer...M S and Sport Optics.....

I seem to keep a running credit there which I "tap" periodically whenever I find something I need for my cameras or a new body is desired.

Bob

kipling

Hi Marc,
wonderful idea.
Please contact Sebastian Sullen (Sebastian Sullen Photography) who seems to know the Detroit art scene very, very well.
I'd also get in touch with George N’Namdi – N'Namdi Center for Contemporary Art on 52 East Forest Avenue. The guy knows every artist in the region.

Both these guys are working hard to support and develop the Detroit art scene and they will be able to find a worthy home for your increadably generous donation...sure as the next detroit recession.

A third option would be to contact the Knight Foundation – Knight Foundation – who fund art/community based projects in Detroit and other cities around the country.

Great idea Marc – you live in the perfect place to see that equipment put to good use. :clap:

Best, Kipling

jerome_m

My wife is even on my back about getting all the boxes out of the garage so we can get a third car in there (her sister's vintage Lexus :facesmack:).

Gotta get this stuff out of here.

I have the perfect idea on what to do with your RZ Pro-IID.

Go to an art school. Meet an attractive female student. Suggest that you could give her the camera and lenses. Make sure your wife knows that you want to help young artists. :eek:

That might not save your problem with what to do with the camera but that should solve your problem with space in the garage. :angel:

EH21

Marc,
I currently run a 501 (3)c) non-profit that assists the Harvey Milk Photo Center. This is now possibly the largest public darkroom in the country and offers many traditional film and digital photo related classes. We welcome donations of used camera equipment, darkroom equipment, film and paper, as we can put it all to good use and many of these types of donations are fully tax deductible.

Regards,
Eric

fotografz

I would kill for that kit, the rz67 is my favorite system.
So make me an offer I can't refuse for the whole kit. I just do NOT have the time or energy to piecemeal it ... or what do you have to trade?

I have a photographer friend that has fallen on hard times, and is without a camera now. If I could trade this for a Canon or Nikon digital with a decent zoom I could just give it to him.

- Marc

Shashin

I know one of our members aboudd runs a HS photography program on the side and would be interested in equipment.