The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A few accessory (tripod head ) questions and a confession ( IQ280 )…

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Also, your Alpa should have come with brass reducers that countersink in to the body. You fit the BP-CS to the grip and bottom side of the STC.

f8orbust

Hmm, mine didn't :( - but had a couple of s/s ones from RRS lying around that did the trick.

BTW: The Hejnar D010 fits the bottom of the STC perfectly - i.e. the front of the plate fits flush with the front of the STC, no underhang/overhang. Almost made for each other. Works fine in my RRS clamp.

I use a BPnS-S on the grip side.

Jim

narikin

Also, your Alpa should have come with brass reducers that countersink in to the body. You fit the BP-CS to the grip and bottom side of the STC.

I've bought 4 Alpa's and never been given brass reducers at time of purchase!

Maybe Alpa should put a pair of them in there themselves if they consider it part of the kit?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Interesting. Each of my Alpa's came with at least one brass countersunk reducer. I don't know if that's unusual or not but that's how I got them.

Dustbak

Congrats Saty. Good choices all around. On the cube its great but I have done very well with a Arca Swiss Z1 Double Pan as well. Personally I would not buy anything for heads outside of Arca.

Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 dp with Quick Release 801113 B&H Photo

I love my Cube. It replaced my Burzsinsky monoball. If going for a mono I there is nothing that beats the Burzsinsky. The thing is heavier than a cube, it falls into the bowl of a 75mm tripod making it very low on top of the legs of the tripod. Even so, I now prefer using the Cube.

satybhat

Interesting. Each of my Alpa's came with at least one brass countersunk reducer. I don't know if that's unusual or not but that's how I got them.
I never got any either, so I'm heading to town before the trip to get some. interestingly, the 645DF+ has one. If I don;t find any, I'll use that.
thanks Graham

jagsiva

Cameras & backs come and go, the CUBE is a permanent fixture.

The Arca L brackets are are great, while not custom made for any specific body, they have a lot more flexibility. You can use either side as a single base plate as well. The arm also sides in an out with just the lever so you can get at ports etc. very easily.

As for the CUBE, it is big, heavy and expensive. If you drop it in the sand (I did when my 2 year old decided to take a dive in the Atlantic last year), it is a pain to clean....BUT, when you need minute adjustments without loosening anything in any direction, I doubt there are too many that match it. It ask has swivelling bases at the bottom and top addicting to the flexibility. If you go with AS plates, the clamp on it is fine, otherwise, I would suggest replacing the QR plate that comes stock with a screw based plate.

Best of luck, and welcome to the craziness!