The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

645DF Focus Screen Options

Mgreer316

Focusing my 645DF is proving to be a problem for me. I've always had bad eyesight, but when corrected all was fine. But in the past couple of years I've found it increasingly more difficult to find the sweet spot in my varifocal lenses. So much so that's it's causing me a problem with this camera. With my Canon DSLRs, the AF is very fast and reliable. I don;t find that to be the case with my 645DF. The slower speed is easy to deal with. But I find myself having to "pump" the shutter button several times to make sure I've got accurate focus. I can't trust the camera focus confirmation beep nor can I trust what my eyes see in the viewfinder. Which leads to my question.

What are my focus screen options? There was a thread from 2010 where Bill Caulfeild-Brrowne essentially had the same problem and asked the same question I'm asking. Marc Williams responded with info about Brightscreen products. Unfortunately, their owner passed away and it looks like they've gone out of business. So, would some kind soul please point me in a direction where I can investigate and hopefully purchase options that will aid in my ability to quickly and accurately manually focus my camera?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Do you have the body set to precision or speed for the Autofocus custom function?

Do you own the viewfinder magnifier?

Have you tried the DF+? Focus is much improved?

Have you spoken to Maxwell Precision Optics?

Mgreer316

Do you have the body set to precision or speed for the Autofocus custom function?
Nope. Just found out about it a few hours ago. Will test over the next several days.
Do you own the viewfinder magnifier?
Nope. These are the kind of options I was hoping to discover.
Have you tried the DF+? Focus is much improved?
I've heard various thing about the significance of this. Some think it's significant, others not.
Have you spoken to Maxwell Precision Optics?
Never heard of 'em. Again, this is what I wanted to discover. So I'll look them up and contact them.

Thanks!