The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

tethered with firewire 800 and thundelbolt

palermo

Hi,

My H4D-50 doesn't work tethered with my new macbookpro using the firewire to thunderbolt adapter. it need more power I think.
What do I need to fix this?

Last edited:

Nick-T

You probably need a powered FW hub. My H4D-40 works fine with the thunderbolt adaptor and a fairly new laptop but I think the voltage delivered varies quite a bit across laptop models hence your issue.

Nick-T

evgeny

You probably need a powered FW hub. My H4D-40 works fine with the thunderbolt adaptor and a fairly new laptop but I think the voltage delivered varies quite a bit across laptop models hence your issue.

Nick-T
Nick,

can you advice, if my Kramer VS-30FW 3-Port FireWire 800 Repeater/HUB and thunderbolt adapter can solve this issue with newer Mac computers?

Thanks
Evgeny

Nick-T

Hi Evgeny
I'm not familiar with that model but generally speaking powered hubs do resolve low power port issues. I always use a hub (unpowered) in the studio, mainly so that the heavy 10M cable doesn't stress the camera FW port. HTH
Nick-T

Steve Hendrix

Hi Nick,

How does it look like 'an unpowered hub'?

By "powered", one would mean a hub that plugs into an outlet for a power source, or alternatively a battery powered solution, though our strong recommendation is for ac current.

"Unpowered" hub would be just a box that you can plug cables into with no option for any additional power source.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

palermo

By "powered", one would mean a hub that plugs into an outlet for a power source, or alternatively a battery powered solution, though our strong recommendation is for ac current.

"Unpowered" hub would be just a box that you can plug cables into with no option for any additional power source.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Oke great to know. But strange that Hasselblad still use the old firewire800.

Jay Emm

FWIW, I can't get the adapter to work if I'm on laptop power only, but if I plug the laptop into mains, everything is fine. This is useless for field work of course (thanks Hassy), but it works fine in studio etc - just don't trip over the cable.

rem

Palermo, I had never a problem with the H4D 40 and 50 tethered with a MacBook Pro Thunderbolt-FW Adapter...