The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rumor re New Sony Hasselblad Sensor

MaxKißler

Doug meant you didn't see nothing..."Period"
Stanley
Maybe what he actually meant was "You won't be seeing anything"...

I'm certainly not an expert on this, but I've come to the impression that CCD sensors have reached the top of their potential. This is as good as it gets. Maybe there will be an increase of half a stop dynamic range someday but I think that's it in terms of image quality. And to be honest: I'd be perfectly fine with that.

Will CMOS sensors change anything in regards to image quality? I certainly doubt it. Ease of use, yes. Maybe we'd gain better ISO performance but all in all I don't think my photography would immensely benefit from a CMOS based camera system. So far, from all the cameras I've ever used, I never got along with the ones that had CMOS sensors in them.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The technology, individual exposure for each pixel, would obviously depend on an electronic shutter, making the sensor useable for a lot of cameras/applications. Although this may or may not be a joint development project between Sony and Hasselblad, I somehow doubt that the sensor will be exclusive for the latter. This technology will be even more interesting for smaller sensor where limited DR is still an issue, like in mobile devices. Sony is in this for the money, and making a sensor for a few H-series bodies won't gain them much more profit per year than they make from making Xperia devices the first ten minutes after lunch break. But again: these are positive rumours and particularly if they can get Hasselblad out of their self inflicted Lunar shadow.