The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad and Porsche

bensonga

Driven by Tradition

Hard to know what to say about this promotional story from Hasselblad, given their recent history.

Twenty years from now, I think Porsche will still be a highly regarded automotive company whose products exemplify performance and cutting edge technology, shaped by their unique history.

Hasselblad? I hope so, but I'm not optimistic.

Gary

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Do what I say, not what I do? Here's what a company that really knows its traditions does, a luxury brand that maintains its position at the leading edge of technology.

And when Porsche wanted to go cheap with the 914 and 924 some 40 years ago, they did so using their own technology in cooperation with their "sister brand" VW. No exotic leathers, no ruby on the light switch, just form, function and tradition. But then, Porsche always was, and still is, a rather unique brand. The Leica of cars, or should that be the other way around? ;)

jduncan

Do what I say, not what I do? Here's what a company that really knows its traditions does, a luxury brand that maintains its position at the leading edge of technology.

And when Porsche wanted to go cheap with the 914 and 924 some 40 years ago, they did so using their own technology in cooperation with their "sister brand" VW. No exotic leathers, no ruby on the light switch, just form, function and tradition. But then, Porsche always was, and still is, a rather unique brand. The Leica of cars, or should that be the other way around? ;)

I believe that in electronics a luxury brand can't stay at the forefront of technology. With a single fab requiring billions of dollars (10^9) it can't be done. You need volume. The necessary R&D budget can be created via a sister company, or via a volume oriented line. In the other hand low volume allows unique capabilities, like sensor plus, multi-shot, laser calibration etc.

Let see how it plays in the long run.

Best regards,

J. Duncan