The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Bags Bags, which one to get ?

satybhat

I'm quite smugly expecting some gear any time now....thanks to all those who chimed in on my previous conumdrums.
So will have a few days with the gear before I scoot to NZ for a week worth of photographing... Have the induro CT414, but have also ordered the RRS TVS24 to carry, and settled for a RRS ball-head for now ( I would like to see whether I miss the gearing on the cube on this trip ). :loco:

So the final gear list is something like this:

Definitely taking:

IQ280,
Alpa STC
HR40 SB with TS adapter
Alpa viewfinder.

P1 D645+, 80mmLS,

Filters (not sure about the SK / Lee systems, since I have a 10x BW 67mm that can go on the 40HR)
batteries, charger,

Tripod: RRS TVS 24
BH55 ballhead.

Possibly taking along:
Still debating between whether to take the SK 120 tilt-shift as well or just keep the 80LS attached to the body. The other option is to order the HR70 and just carry the technical gear.

So for the above gear, what bag would you recommend:
1) OPtion 1: the technical gear only, (STC with viewfinder and 2 lenses, back)
2) Option 2: STC with viewfinder, back, HR40, D645+
Would love to have some option with the viewfinder attached on the STC.
This way, I would just have to switch the back from the STC to D645 and back.

Any opinions ? I promise this would be my last query before the trip (unless I run into some trouble with the RRS clamps and such-like) :angel:

Saty

kdphotography

I don't think there is a magic bullet here when it comes to camera bags/cases. It really depends on the job, the trip, the selected gear, etc. For me, this means having a selection of bags, backpacks, and hardside Pelican cases to choose from. Others simply choose a Land Rover SUV and fill'er up... :ROTFL: (I couldn't help myself Graham!)

For a backpack, my current favorite is from f-stop gear, the Loka. I selected two small ICUs, which allows me a lot flexibility in packing (as opposed to selecting a single large ICU). Great support and plenty of room for other hiking essentials. My smaller day pack is a Lowepro Flipside Sport AW---nice and lightweight. Other go-to cases are from Thinktank, a Airport Ultralight which by design happens to also fit perfectly inside of a Pelican 1510. Pelicans are great by themselves.

ken

satybhat

Thanks Will,
So I've kind of narrowed down to the Loka (f-stop) vs the Bataflae Gura gear. But any other options are still welcome.
Within the later (Guragear) , (with the butterfly config), does anyone know if the STC and viewfinder with the HR40 attached sits well ?
Ta

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
3 words worth of advice. Keep it simple. Leave the DF home and put the time in on the tech cam and learn it.

rayyen

Agree x2, I'll not carry DF, simply focus in STC and probably spare more space for one or two more good lens :)

dchew

3 words worth of advice. Keep it simple. Leave the DF home and put the time in on the tech cam and learn it.
Here, here! Completely agree with that. I suppose the only caveat is you will only have one lens / field of view to shoot. So what are you waiting for? Go order the 70hr! [how am I doing Guy? - you are my ski-mask donned idol].

The Loka gets my vote especially if you are walking any distance, and I have grown to love the back-side access.* It keeps the gear cleaner and spiders off your back.

Dave

*Please try to keep it clean here folks :eek:

Pemihan

I have the F-Stop Satori with a variety of ICU's and it is by far the best camera bag I have ever had.
Plenty of room for the camera gear and what you need for a days outing.

Peter

satybhat

Guy, you nailed it I guess. I was worried a bit about the travel shots but will be bringing my M9 and 35 lux.

OK, will be looking to check in 70HR or 90HR(borrowed).

Dave / Raymond, which ICU would you prefer for the setup if I just take the STC with 2 lenses ? - I might be carrying the M9+35lux for travel shots as well..

Thanks

Pemihan

I use a medium ICU for my Cambo WRS, Leaf Aptus II 7, SK35XL, SK47XL, SK120 Short Barrel and accessories.

The small ICU might be enough for your setup, but I would buy one of each so you have the choice.
They are also handy for storing gear..

Peter

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
You may need the medium ICU for the f-stop bags if you want to pack the STC with the viewfinder on it. Basically this will need to be on it's side to fit so be aware of the space that takes up. I prefer to pack mine with the back & lens attached too so you're ready to go.

Another vote for leaving the DF at home. Once you shoot with the technical camera you'll find the DF kit a boat anchor on a trip unless you've got the luxury of having space for it in your vehicle.

I'd certainly get that 70 or 90 too for options. I'd stop there though until you know what you like.

satybhat

So, with the Loka, has anyone encountered any issues with carry-on baggage restrictions ? The virgin australia flights out here seem to be very tight-ars*&d about the dimensions, though not so much the weight.
Otherwise, the other option would be to get the guru, but that would seem limiting the space I have for the day-trip packing.

Graham, when you mean medium ICU, is it the medium pro, medium shallow or medium slope ?

Thanks again guys.

Pemihan

I fly frequently to and inside the US and have had no problems with my Satori, so I'm pretty sure the Loka shouldn't be a problem.

I use the Pro ICU's. Have small, medium and large.

Peter

Guy Mancuso

I used a Think Tank streetwalker for my tech cam and three lenses. Not the one for a laptop. Its small and light which fits me well. A STC and two lenses does not take a big bag. Now this comes from a bag whore if you ever met one. I have 8 different think tank bags. LOL

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Between Guy, Graham and Ken, you have experienced users of every bag ever made, and several no longer made!

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

dchew

I carry on the Loka all the time here in the US with no problems.

I have the medium slope but I wouldn't recommend it. Even the 40hr is pretty tall so you cannot stand anything up in it. Also the STC won't fit sideways, which as Graham mentioned you will have to do with the viewfinder attached. Not speaking for Graham here but I would suggest the Medium Pro. Definitely not the medium shallow.

Dave

So, with the Loka, has anyone encountered any issues with carry-on baggage restrictions ? The virgin australia flights out here seem to be very tight-ars*&d about the dimensions, though not so much the weight.
Otherwise, the other option would be to get the guru, but that would seem limiting the space I have for the day-trip packing.

Graham, when you mean medium ICU, is it the medium pro, medium shallow or medium slope ?

Thanks again guys.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
My bag of choice is the f-stop Loka with the large ICU inside. Unnecessary for just an STC but this will hold a STC, TC and five lenses, 2 backs, bunch of batteries, plus all the junk you might also bring along. It will hold the STC or TC with back and 150mm lens /spacer although only one or other if you have the VF fitted.

As Dave mentioned, you'll want the 'full size' medium ICU.

The Loka are guaranteed to fit pretty much any commercial flight overhead bin. Even commuter jets. Also it's practically impossible to over pack them as they hold their outer dimensions.

Last edited:

PeterL

Drop the Alpa viewfinder - with the IQ280, I really do not think you would need it. Just my experience, the preview on the IQ back is good and it's easy to shoot/re-adjust. Just my 2 cents worth. Also agree with Guy and others - drop the DF, not needed and will increase weight and more importantly the confusion on what to use. Less is more!

Cheers, -Peter

Guy Mancuso

One other thing of advice for everyone. You have 40k back in your HAND and until you stop sweating bullets between taking it off a tech cam and on a DF than just don't do it. We have all seen or read the post of someone's back taking a dive and even experienced users this can certainly happen too. You get caught up in a moment and **** just happens. Been doing this a long long time and I'm pretty agile and quick to handle those situations but it still happens. Get used to this gear before you take on too much almost 20 workshops teaching and I can't give you any better advice than this. Trust me I have seen it all.

I never used a finder with a IQ back as Peter and many others we treat these backs like a Polaroid shoot wash and repeat until you get your final image. But I do like those iPhone apps and setups. This is a personal decision on your comfort zone shooting. But like Graham said they add height so laying the tech cam on its side is the best option. You won't hurt anything like that either.