The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question re H4D Shutter Speed

cerett

I recently discovered that I cannot get a shutter speed longer than 32 seconds on my H4D 60. B or T mode makes no difference. The shutter closes after 32 seconds. Is there a reason for this that I'm missing? Is there a workaround? Pardon my ignorance, but I had no need for very long exposures up until this time.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
To explain further every back has some maximum exposure length.

Some backs have a "hard" cut off meaning they turn off automatically when they hit a certain length.

Other backs have a "soft" cutoff meaning you can exposure any arbitrary length with the understanding that some point the quality will become unacceptable.

Here is a story that contains some industry background and technical information about long exposure in medium format. It's a biased article (I wrote it to explain the backstory to the iq260's long exposure capability, and my company does not sell Hasselblad backs) but should still prove an interesting read if you want to understand the technical reasons or the limit you've experienced.

IQ260 Story