The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Phase IQ Firmware Update

dchew

Thanks Doug,
Already emailing my dealer back and forth to work it out. They also suggested 5.06.

I've been playing around and found if I am quicker with the shutter stroke, it works much better. Still gets hung up every 10-20 shots...

I will let everyone know what Phase comes up with.

Ciao,
Dave

kdphotography

Dave,

Looks like I'm in a similar situation as you. IQ 180 updated firmware to 5.10.1 and now the back doesn't pick up the pc sync from the one shot/lens. Phase DF appears to work fine.

Unless a fix is quickly forthcoming, I'll have to revert back to factory defaults and try and find out what subsequent firmware updates are available and work best until Phase gets around to addressing ver 5.10.1

ken

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Ken/Dave - I wouldn't struggle too much. There are some improvements in the latest firmware, but not enough that it's worth you hassling over. If you can't get it to work, and work without hassle, just revert, notify your dealer, and wait for another release.

jlm

Workshop Member
a testimony t Doug's frequent (and usually right on) mantra to hold off on new releases of software

dchew

Ken,
Your are welcome to my 3.01.13 from last summer if you pm me. Or you can wait until I test 5.06 and I could send you that one.

a testimony t Doug's frequent (and usually right on) mantra to hold off on new releases of software
Yeah I suppose. The thing is "Firmware Updater" found a previous version on the web, 5.00.51, but that was worse! Couldn't get a single shot off with that one loaded.

Dave

kdphotography

Thanks, Dave. I know I have updated my IQ180 firmware at least a couple times since purchase, so I know that the more recent firmware updates (prior to the latest 5.10.1) should work fine on the IQ series using both DF and technical camera bodies. I need to get ahold of 5.06 as I don't think I archived it.

The answer I got from Phase Denmark this morning was to use zero shutter latency. I don't have time at the moment to play around and will check their workaround later. But my initial reaction is that the reason I use the capture group one-shot cable is to avoid using zero latency because it uses up more battery power and generates more heat as well.

ken

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Ken, I just emailed some firmware files to you.

I'd still work with your dealer on the support case - it's not impossible there is some good reason for you NOT to try a particular firmware. So "consult with your doctor" as the pharma ads say, but thought I'd sent the firmware files to you to save you some time/effort in case that's the recommended step.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
True enough though in this case:
- firmware is usually more reliable than software
- rolling back the firmware to the factory-installed firmware is a fast/simple operation with an IQ/IQ2 back

Still I'm hesitant to ever recommend viewing firmware upgrades too casually. Certainly they should never be done right before a shoot and you should test all functions relevant to your use after any update.

dchew

...The answer I got from Phase Denmark this morning was to use zero shutter latency.
ken
Don't bother; I tried that and it didn't work. It's like the PC input goes completely dumb, so the back never does anything even in zero latency. Probably because it has no idea the shutter fired for the actual capture.

Dave

kdphotography

Tried zero latency before seeing your reply, Dave. Zero latency isn't a workaround. Also swapped out my single shot cord for a normal phase MFDB to pc sync and separate trigger. I was able to record one exposure, then nothing further. Zero latency is not a workaround regardless of triggering mechanism or cords.

Back to square one. Thanks, Doug!

ken

Last edited:

stephengilbert

After installing the new FW, when I view an image, an information screen appears in front of the image and I have to tap the image to make it go away. How do I stop this?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
After installing the new FW, when I view an image, an information screen appears in front of the image and I have to tap the image to make it go away. How do I stop this?
In your picture the [information/metadata tool] is on. Simply tap the box in the bottom right with the ISO labeling and that tool will be disabled.

PSon

One of the best thing being an owner of the Phase One back is having Doug behind you.
Many Thanks,
-son

kdphotography

Really back to square one----Firmware 1.18. (can't beat that, huh Dave?)

Doesn't matter if I use Phase One's Firmware Updater program tethered or use the CF card in the IQ180. I can't update the firmware; installation or firmware update fails. For awhile there I was on firmware 0.00 and even selecting revert back to factory default failed. :eek: Feeling so lucky to be back at 1.18 :ROTFL:

Firmware Updater only goes back to 5.00.51 and nothing earlier. Not sure how to access the earlier updates and am thinking incremental updates is the answer.

UPDATE: Good dealer support really vital! Capture Integration spent quite a bit of time walking through the ghosts in the machine and I'm back up and running. Still waiting to hear from CI/Phase Denmark on the next firmware update steps to take. I was ready to swallow my pride and accept that new IQ280 gratis from Denmark.... :D

ken

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I'm still running scared. Trembling at the thought of bricking my IQ260 but equally hoping that the firmware fixes irrational levels, DF+ communication and the p*** poor wifi.

Btw, does it stop that dumb long exposure mode dialog coming up? I kind of got it the first time they told me and now it's just an irritating nag screen.

kdphotography

I do believe the issue is most directed towards early generation IQ180s (probably IQ160 too) used on technical cameras and not IQ2 series MFDBs. And as you'll recall there was quite a flurry of interest and sales when the new IQ180 was first released a few years back, so I don't think this issue is as isolated as people may think---they just haven't used/tried their IQ180 on a technical camera (yet) and attempted to trip the shutter.

Updating (at least attempted) updating to firmware 5.10.1 was pretty unsettling. Hell, successful updating of firmware can be pretty scary watching the MFDB screen flicker and blink as it does its thing. But to see the message "update failed" and then your MFDB reverting to factory defaults on its own is well, I handled it pretty damned good I'd say, particularly after the IQ180 also stopped working with my Phase DF too. :eek: But I'm pretty comfortable working through things with MFDBs and Capture Integration was a great help. Incremental updates from there did indeed work, and I'm currently on 3.01.13 which is stable and my technical camera and DF work fine again. In fact, I completed an assignment this afternoon without incident.

More work needs to be done and Phase will need to take an in depth look on further updating the firmware on my IQ180. I still don't have the promised USB3 capability on my IQ180 which requires an additional firmware upgrade and may even require a trip to the motherland in Denmark. (*note: further attempts to update firmware from 3.01.13 to even 5.00.51 were dismal failures and well let's just say it's unsettling to see the MFDB screen locked up and otherwise inoperable)

I don't think you need to worry about your IQ260 Graham.

ken

Dogs857

Hmmm.

I did the update and it failed much like Ken explains. It reset my back to factory default. It took 5 attempts to get it to load. I didn't think much of it as this kind of thing always happens to me anyway. Seriously don't get me to do anything with computers.

However since loading the new firmware the back is working flawlessly. I have an IQ180 on a technical camera and have not experienced any problems at all. Should I be worried?? Usually if something goes wrong it will happen to me, so if this has gone right I must be really up s#*t creek. Is my back about to explode??

Paul2660

This sounds a bit like the P45+ (firmware update to get to 1 hour exposures). Certain P45+ backs had a controller card that would not work with the update and it bricked (good term from Graham). That is one scary feeling. I had a early P45+ 0399 serial number.

Phase did fix mine and it worked great from that point forward.

One other note, just another reason to buy these backs from a dealer as I ended up using Doug's information help to push my case through with another dealer. End results were fine.

I hate to see Ken's situation and hope you get a loaner/and fix sooner than later. Hope you also get the USB3 working.

I have a 260 and have not updated it yet. I was also hoping to see some wifi improvements, but I don't think this update had any from what I have been able to determine. As I only use the tech camera, I am going to wait till I hear more positive results.

I am still a bit concerned that wifi may be as good as it can be. This is based on my experience with wifi in small devices. Most times the wifi is a plug into the card made by some other company just as on a PC or Mac. These tend to be hard wired coded and not really upgradeable. But Phase may still pull a rabbit out of the hat. I also feel that Capture Pilot will need to be given a total overhaul to work with the iOS7 issues. But that's for another post.

Paul Caldwell

jagsiva

Grab a bunch of old 1 or 2gb CF cards and have a few versions of FW on there. I have had issues with the sync port on one shot cable. I have the two stage version as well with the little button on it and a 5 second timer. This also sometimes has problems, albeit less often. Zero latency and the single sync cable gets the back hot pretty quickly.

Solution that has always worked for me has been to revert back to a previous version and reinstall, and the issue has always gone away...until the next time.

BTW, not publishing proper "Release Notes", especially on a professional category product -- NOT COOL!!