The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Phase IQ Firmware Update

kdphotography

Phil,

I haven't heard of any IQ160 issues with the fw update; I've only heard of issues involving older generation IQ180 backs. The issue is real, but it appears to be pretty limited in scope.

If you have a firmware issue arise with a camera or MFDB, your Phase dealer is your best resource to help get it resolved quickly. Zac at Capture Integration was a great help to me.

ken

Steve C

Knock on wood, but so far no problems with my IQ180 on a DF+ or Alpa STC with 5.10.1. I use the sync cord with a push button wake up, a minijack connector and long curly cord to the lens. Has anyone found a shorter sync cord with a wake up button and no intermediate connector? Maybe we should all group together to custom order one or push Phase to make a firmware update to have wake up for tech cameras as a button on the back.

rga

Bob - Did your IQ160 upgrade consist of factory modifications or was your upgrade limited to firmware changes? Is your IQ160 an early model? If the factory peformed the upgrade, did you incur any out of pocket expenses?
Just downloaded and upgraded the firmware via CF card.
Shot it almost all day today without major issues.
I don't think I have an early IQ160 model as I waited several months before upgrading.
Bob

vjbelle

I have an IQ180 purchased in June of the release year and my firmware upgrade works flawlessly. I am not using the Alpa cable but rather the button cable sold by C1.

Victor

narikin

Coming late to this thread, but I went through this same routine a good while ago, like... May 2012, when 5.x firmware was released and my early IQ180 had problems with it. It had to go back to Denmark for component update, and I noticed a switch from 'Revision 1' to 'Revision 2' on the back. (find yours under 'About') That sorted it.

My problems with USB3 were now fixed - very useful, now works flawlessly with Capture One on a Surface Pro via USB3.

Good luck

kdphotography

My problems with USB3 were now fixed - very useful, now works flawlessly with Capture One on a Surface Pro via USB3.

Good luck
I'd be interested in hearing more about your experiences/workflow using the Surface Pro and USB3 on the IQ.... especially now that the Surface Pro 2 is out. Not too keen on what I've seen of Windows 8 though...

ken

dchew

Wanted to let you all know that my back has a faulty port and will be going back to Phase like Ken's. I am pretty convinced my situation was an isolated case; this is not a systemic problem with IQ1XX backs and firmware 5.10.1.

One thing I mentioned somewhere above is that my back always had occasional sync issues, say one capture out of 20. I just chalked it up to the sync cable. But it now looks like I've had a faulty port for a while, maybe since day one. So please don't think everyone will have the same issue I did.

Phase and my dealer have been very good throughout this process. Cheers to all involved.

Ciao,
Dave

Last edited:

narikin

I'd be interested in hearing more about your experiences/workflow using the Surface Pro and USB3 on the IQ.... especially now that the Surface Pro 2 is out. Not too keen on what I've seen of Windows 8 though...

ken
There's not much to say really - it works. The screen is bright and great in the field, even in sunlight. You have a free version of Capture One Pro DB you can install on the Pro. I simply tether my IQ in the field, and get a really accurate 100% focus check, much better than using the back screen. The Pro could be lighter (its 2lb) but its not bad, and a lot better than the 5lb Fujitsu convertible I used before. I wish Apple would release an iPad Pro, but they don't seem interested in doing that. With this set up I saw no reason to upgrade to an IQ280, with the WiFi to iPad. You get a better features -full C1 Pro- with the simple use of a $10 cable than the WiFi feature can ever give..

There is a lot of hubbub talked about Windows 8, but really its fine. People need to get over it, they want everything to stay exactly the same. It's just a modest learning curve, and now I'm settled into it, I kind of prefer it to 7, though they do try and force their apps on you - Weather, News, Music, etc. but so do Apple, Google, its part of the deal. The upgrade to 8.1 is free, of course.

The original Surface Pro is great value now if you want to try - you can get them for as little as $450/500. Battery lasts 4hrs, which is plenty for my purposes.

kdphotography

Surface Pro 2 has better battery life and a faster processor. Some other minor tweaks. The tablet form factor combined with a DigiPlate Lite from Nine-volt.com looks like a good portable USB3 tethering combination for the IQ series MFDB.

Of course, I need to get my IQ180 back from Denmark first. It's awfully lonely here in Carmel.

ken

alajuela

Surface Pro 2 has better battery life and a faster processor. Some other minor tweaks. The tablet form factor combined with a DigiPlate Lite from Nine-volt.com looks like a good portable USB3 tethering combination for the IQ series MFDB.

Of course, I need to get my IQ180 back from Denmark first. It's awfully lonely here in Carmel.

ken
I have the Digiplate Lite - is really good and half the weight of a Tether Tools or Gitzo plate. Here is a photo of it, with a MacBook Air. You can set it up on a Gitzo "0" tripod, for me the new set up set saves 2.5 kg over what I was doing before :D
I have also tried it with optional bracket that allows it to hang on the tripod the camera is on - it works :)

Don Libby

Might be old news however wanted to share.

I didn't want to do the upgrade to my 160 while in Jackson Hole just in case it bricked like Kens so waited until I got back. Having gotten caught up with everything else I decided to do the upgrade this afternoon. Long story short - IT LIVES! Ran the upgrade and tested it out on both the DF and WRS using a one shot wig no problems.

My 160 is one of the older backs since Guy bought it I think as soon as it was released before me buying it. So, if you have a 160 and are hesitant as I was in doing this go ahead and jump in, the waters fine....

schuster

...My 160 is one of the older backs since Guy bought it I think as soon as it was released before me buying it. So, if you have a 160 and are hesitant as I was in doing this go ahead and jump in, the waters fine....
Just to second that… My IQ160 was delivered shortly thereafter, and I did the update a couple weeks ago with no problem too.

kdphotography

I'm just really glad that Phase One has my back back to normal! I'm very appreciative of the customer service from Capture Integration in Atlanta and Phase Melville, NY and Phase One in Denmark.

In the meantime, I spent quite a bit of time putting together some tethering options like Phil (above) and have to say I'm impressed with the build-quality of the Nine-Volt Digiplate Lite system. I even fashioned together a semi unorthodox use of the Digiplate Lite for the Surface Pro 2, ditching the "red arms" for further weight savings. Not sure if it's "for me" and may sell it or keep it in studio.

ken

fotophil

I drilled a series of 1/2 inch diameter holes to reduce the weight of the Digiplate Lite Bracket. The aluminum alloy is quite strong so that the holes have not compromised the function of the bracket.

dchew

Update - My IQ180 is back from Denmark. Works like a charm. At first I had a few misfires, but either the back learns or I found my rhythm; it has been flawless the last 5 days. They did a lot of stuff. Service report says:
Recalibration
Firmware updated
Repair of Digital board
Repair of Utility board
Repair of Interface circuit
Firmware version check
Image capture & inspection
Focus inspection
Check of camera attachment
Check of external connections
Visual inspection
Cleaning

Dave

dchew

Thanks Don. P1 really stepped up. When I originally bought this at PODAS I had to choose between the DF kit or the VA warranty. I chose the kit thinking I would sell the DF and upgrade the warranty after a few months. Well, when I sold the DF good 'ol American Immediate Gratification* took over and I bought the SK150 instead.
[*Hmm; AIG - maybe this is what the failed-then-bailed insurance giant really stands for?!]

Long way of saying my back was out of warranty, but they covered it anyway. All I paid for was shipping. I am indeed a Happy Camper.

Dave