The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Phase IQ Firmware Update

kdphotography

No impact on those of us with DF bodies, but not so good for those with older generation AFD/II/III/PhaseAF bodies. Apparently the recent firmware 5.10.1 update renders older bodies obsolete for those with IQ series MFDBs.

https://captureintegration.com/new-...ne-af-bodies-inoperable-with-iq-series-backs/

Not sure for the rationale, but doesn't make much sense. Ok, Phase One--so hurry up and release a new improved Phase camera platform and I won't say anything more....

Ken_R

No impact on those of us with DF bodies, but not so good for those with older generation AFD/II/III/PhaseAF bodies. Apparently the recent firmware 5.10.1 update renders older bodies obsolete for those with IQ series MFDBs.

https://captureintegration.com/new-...ne-af-bodies-inoperable-with-iq-series-backs/

Not sure for the rationale, but doesn't make much sense. Ok, Phase One--so hurry up and release a new improved Phase camera platform and I won't say anything more....

Thanks for the link. I though about updating the firmware on my IQ160 but decided not to because I was afraid it might not work with my H1. I don't see this mentioned in the link but it might be the case. I am not willing to test it. :) My back works great with the H1 now so I will leave it as is.

I did update C1 Pro and is working great.

Paul2660

One new feature caveat is the addition of the B&W view for the IQ1x backs. Can come in very handy in bright light when reviewing an image. Apparently came with P 65+ but left off IQ gen. Is standard on IQ 2x.

Paul Caldwell

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
So, let's hope that this actually fixes the still present DF+ / IQ2 series lockups and the brain damaged level control. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

malmac

Bill

I for one would like a better camera body than the 645DF - maybe one with a better spread of focus points - just for starters.

Mal

gerald.d

I think Phase One need to explain the rationale.

Can't see the sense in this at all from a customer perspective.

kdphotography

I think Phase One need to explain the rationale.

Can't see the sense in this at all from a customer perspective.
It was explained to me by Steve Gilbert (tongue in cheek) that real photographers use technical cameras.... :cool: (Btw, that's sarcasm coming from a guy who called excited over the A7r...)

They don't even mention it on the firmware update page or the release notes:
Firmware updater for 645DF/645DF+ camera and P+ digital backs

I would be furious if I had a IQ back and updated the firmware just to find out it doesn't work with my AFDIII anymore...!

Peter
Yup, I'd be pretty frustrated if that were me. Per CI, you can downgrade the firmware, but the IQ2 backs still won't communicate with the older bodies. I'm still with a lowly IQ1 series so I'm okay. But imagine if you had just put out the cash for a new IQ2 upgrade. Okay, so probably the majority that now have the new IQ2 series, probably have at least the DF or DF+ generation body, so not an issue. But still... :loco: :wtf:

If I had an old AFDIII or Phase AF, and just bought/upgraded to a new IQ260/IQ280, I think someone owes me a smokin' stinking hot deal on a new DF+ and a trade-in on my clunker...

ken

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
My bet it probably was never tested. Pretty sad if you ask me. The AFD3 is not a bad backup to have for a reasonable price. Also it can shoot film. They need to fix this or give those owners a heavy trade in discount. And I mean heavy discount.

It certainly is there sore spot is the bodies.

AaronK

I think I was the customer who helped the good people at CI find the issue... it was very bad indeed. Lucky for me the downgrade worked fine.

And with that, hi everyone! I may not post often but really appreciate the discussions here. I'm currently shooting with the IQ140 and the 645AF body. No regrets!

GrahamWelland

I just wonder if we're being a little unfair to Phase One. Maybe, just maybe, the only way to make the DF/DF+ reliable with the IQ was to fix the communication problems and that this rendered the previous generation bodies incompatible?

Btw, has anyone tried the new DF+ firmware with the Iq2 update?

GrahamWelland

Guy: absolutely agree. If it had hit me I'd have been pissed. It happened to me with a DF update before that rendered non AF glass incompatible. I found out in Monument valley with you folks when a couple of my lenses wouldn't work. They should be more diligent and intelligent about their release notes.

kdphotography

I just wonder if we're being a little unfair to Phase One. ....
Actually, Phase One just has a sense of humor. They were just messing with the new guy AaronK. The firmware rollback will be issued later this afternoon. :ROTFL:

Well it could have been known to users before downloading it was just for the DF
The problem here, albeit probably minor in reality, is that on resale of your IQ2 MFDB, the scope of potential buyers is limited a tiny bit more because now users of old Phase/Mamiya bodies are excluded. That limited market just got a hair smaller. But then again, in that rarified air, you should be using at least a DF body anyway.

I am soooo ready for a new Phase body, just as much as I am soooo ready for a new Canon body to replace the 1Ds Mark III.

ken

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
We (Digital Transitions) have not found any situation in which a back which worked with an older body, cannot be made to work with that older body again, by simply downgrading the firmware (or "restore firmware" from factory default).

But we have very few customers with older bodies and an IQ back, so our sample size may just be insufficient?

AaronK

Actually, Phase One just has a sense of humor. They were just messing with the new guy AaronK. The firmware rollback will be issued later this afternoon. :ROTFL:

The problem here, albeit probably minor in reality, is that on resale of your IQ2 MFDB, the scope of potential buyers is limited a tiny bit more because now users of old Phase/Mamiya bodies are excluded. That limited market just got a hair smaller. But then again, in that rarified air, you should be using at least a DF body anyway.

I am soooo ready for a new Phase body, just as much as I am soooo ready for a new Canon body to replace the 1Ds Mark III.

ken
Wow, I feel loved already! :LOL: It is what it is, and from all the DF+ discussions I've seen, I'll hold onto the 645AF for the foreseeable. I still run film through it from time to time.

dchew

I had an old firmware, 3.01.13 (yeah I know...). I updated today and the back was having trouble recognizing a signal from the PC sync cord. Tried another cord and various lenses, no luck. Then I downgraded using Firmware Updater to 5.00.51, but that was worse; couldn't get a single shot off. So now I'm back to 3.01.13.

Does any one else have a early-vintage IQ180 that's never been in for service, running on newer firmware w/ tech camera? Mine was delivered Nov-2011. I'm beginning to wonder if my back needs a vacation to Denmark :(

Dave

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I had an old firmware, 3.01.13 (yeah I know...). I updated today and the back was having trouble recognizing a signal from the PC sync cord. Tried another cord and various lenses, no luck. Then I downgraded using Firmware Updater to 5.00.51, but that was worse; couldn't get a single shot off. So now I'm back to 3.01.13.

Does any one else have a early-vintage IQ180 that's never been in for service, running on newer firmware w/ tech camera? Mine was delivered Nov-2011. I'm beginning to wonder if my back needs a vacation to Denmark :(

Dave
You could also try 5.06 and/or 5.08. If those work reliably for you then you'd be getting nearly all the benefits of 5.10 without any hassle. You could then wait for the next minor update to see if it goes without issue before spending any time on it.

Your dealer should have 5.06 and 5.08 for you. In any case I'd contact them to they can file a case with the info for the Firmware R+D guys to be aware.