The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

645DF+ Focusing issues - 1 year in

There will be no P1 or Mamiya Leaf announcements at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES).

In the past major professional photography announcements were often/usually made at Photokina or Photo Plus. In the last several years this trend has been less evident in when/how major professional photography announcements were made.
Yup...I know, but we can always hope!

Nick Devlin

Sounds like you have the exact problem Truefocus on the Hassy was designed to answer. Focus+recompose usually moves your focus plane by tilting the sensor-plane forward. It's not a question of initial accuracy, but that you're moving the plane of focus back by moving the centre of your sensor forward, and thus the field of focus backwards, just enough to impact sharpness.

If that's not the problem, you may have some serious alignment issue with your mount, AF sensor or focusing screen holder.

Good luck and love to know if you can fix this.

- N.

edmundronald

Apart from the fact that I believe the Mamiya is a PoS, you may have better luck in some cases with focus if you focus on the mouth and then recompose, the eyes may then be in focus. This trick may work if your point of view is eg. at the height of the model's eyes. And maybe even if your PoV is at the model's chin :)

I think Hasselblad invented something called TrueFocus to solve this problem. Of course, those ridiculous dSLRs all have multiple focus points that one can lock onto an eyeball ...

Edmund

gebseng

Is it true that the 645DF+ with the latest 2.24 firmware has the left and right focus point disabled permanently?

The Mamiya Credo user guide 1.20 shows two ways to change AF behaviour:
- on page 17, they say that the Exposure Metering Mode Button doubles as the Focus Point Selection Button, but don't explain how to do that
- on page 71, they explain how to change AF point via the Credo menu. But changing the AF point there and then using C1 on the 645DF+ mode dial is not reflected in the AF icon on the cameras LCD screen.

very mysterious, or am I overlooking something?

geb

Ben Rubinstein

My dealer keeps telling me to wait for Photokina before changing systems (playing with the idea of an RZ system at present to try and solve our costs in mirror and shutter replacements with the DF, I can buy 8 lenses with shutter built in for the cost of a DF shutter replacement, but still avoid having to use a tech camera). Although I doubt any new P1 body would solve my issues I wonder if he knows something we don't or is just hoping?