The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The End of an Era, Aptus II approaching EOL

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
The supply of components for Leaf to make new-for-sale Leaf Aptus II backs has been exhausted.

There are a few dozen (total) backs left as new inventory, and as part of the clearance Refurbished Aptus II 10 (56mp 3:2 ratio) will be sold for $11,495 until supplies exhaust.

As usual for Team Phase One a healthy supply of components was set aside for support/service/repair needs for the foreseeable future. Service/support will remain in place for many years (as a comparison note the Valeo series started in 2002 is still serviceable today). However, no more Aptus II backs will be made for sale.

I think it's appropriate for us to all hold a moment of appreciation for the Aptus era. It began with the Aptus 17/22 in 2005 and culminated in the Aptus II 12R in 2010 - the first 80mp back. I shot most of my college portfolio with an Aptus and did all my first professional jobs with the same back.

If you have time to post images taken with an Aptus of any kind (Aptus/Aptus S/Aptus II/AFI/AFI-II) I think it would make a fitting tribute to the years and years of hard work of many Leaf engineers to make that product a reality. It had some very strong positives and a few weaknesses (like any product) but it was the tool used for many great and iconic images and deserves a holiday toast!

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Oh, no , I just bought for less than a year.
Don't worry, they're STILL great backs!

I love my Aptus 65 and just gave it a new lease of life with a 630nm IR filter conversion. I still like the Leaf colour better than even my IQ backs. I can't explain it but they just do a better job with pleasing tones.