The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Opinions on SK35XL and SK47XL on IQ160/260

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I'm surprised the 43XL isn't considered a supported lens. I was lent an IQ160 and 43XL the very first time I used a tech camera, and it was a great combination - still the (technically) best images I've ever shot. Sure, an LCC was necessary, but I would never shoot a tech camera without one.
43XL is listed as "limited" in compatibility with a 60mp sensor.

Meaning it is a great option to consider (and weigh against the alternatives), but will, at some point in it's range of movement (in my experience around 12mm, but depends on your criterium and subject matter) experience issues (e.g. loss of saturation in corrected colors).

The overview is meant to flag potential issues for further discussion or testing/evaluation. We would not want someone to get a 43XL and IQ260 and expect they can shift all the way to the final bit of the image circle with perfect results. So we want to flag this "limited" compatibility so we can have more detailed conversations about what happens around what range of movement, and what the pros/cons of the alternatives.

If, for instance, someone was shooting unshifted street photography with a Travel Camera (Alpa TC, Cambo RC, Arca Factum etc) and wanted a light, sharp lens then I'd recommend a 43XL over a 40HR with little hesitation.

We just want an informed citizenry. :)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I would agree with Doug on suitability to task for these lenses too. There's a difference between needing absolute linearity to the edges at large shifts for say architecture and accepting some fall off if shooting art (when you may end up adding vignette in post anyway).

I'm not shooting brick walls so considerations about compatibility with an IQ160/260 are different to perhaps phase one's support statements.

Pemihan

Doug, if I may ask you, how much shift for a four image stitch do you feel should be possible without issues with the 47XL on a IQ260.

Thanks
Peter

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Dough, if I may ask you, how much shift for a four image stitch do you feel should be possible without issues with the 47XL on a IQ260.
There is no one answer to that question.

Depends on the aperture you use, whether you use the center filter, what your subject matter and final use is, whether you're applying any tilt/swing at the same time, and whether occasional retouching/manual-post work would be an annoyance or a show-stopper. Final guidance based on those can vary by as much as 5mm (a BIG difference for most people).

My approach to that question is instead to send sample files from our catalog, provide in person evaluation, towards-purchase rentals, or otherwise approach the question more holistically. When the above is impractical or impossible I would then (but only then) resort to guidance based on my personal experience and the experience of our relevant customers. I suggest you do such examination with your dealer as well.

Pemihan

Doug, I understand that there is a lot of variables in play. But I can say that even with a four image stitch with the 47XL (10mm rise/fall 10mm left/right) I'm having issues that LCC doesn't fix. That is with center filter, f11 and no tilt.

My problem is that there's no dealer in my part of the world with any tech cam experience that comes even close to the experience the two biggest US dealers have.
Alas I'm left with seeking information from the valuable members of this great forum and doing some testing on my own.
I would much prefer to buy the back in the US and have a dealer with extensive knowledge in tech cam use having my back, but since I would have to partially lease the back unfortunately that's not an option.

If I decide to upgrade to the IQ260 I might be inclined to get the Rodie 40HR as my main wide and later get the SK60XL or the Rodie 70HR. I already have the SK120 Aspheric so that would make a nice three lens kit for me.

Peter

Ken_R

Doug, I understand that there is a lot of variables in play. But I can say that even with a four image stitch with the 47XL (10mm rise/fall 10mm left/right) I'm having issues that LCC doesn't fix. That is with center filter, f11 and no tilt.

My problem is that there's no dealer in my part of the world with any tech cam experience that comes even close to the experience the two biggest US dealers have.
Alas I'm left with seeking information from the valuable members of this great forum and doing some testing on my own.
I would much prefer to buy the back in the US and have a dealer with extensive knowledge in tech cam use having my back, but since I would have to partially lease the back unfortunately that's not an option.

If I decide to upgrade to the IQ260 I might be inclined to get the Rodie 40HR as my main wide and later get the SK60XL or the Rodie 70HR. I already have the SK120 Aspheric so that would make a nice three lens kit for me.

Peter
Hi, I have the IQ160 and have the 40mm HR and the 70mm HR. Both are excellent and can be shifted to the edge of the circle no problem. Image quality is excellent almost to the very edge. With the 40 I have regularly shifted to the max 15mm on the RM3Di and with the 70 up to 20mm rise with great results.

The 40 requires an LLC all the time but the corrections are not extreme so the files look very nice. No center filter required.

They Rodenstock HR-W's are boring lenses…meaning worry free, you just use them and shoot. The image quality will be excellent even with tilt. Just do not stop them down too much though, they are designed to be used at about f8 max or so. They are great even wide open.

stngoldberg

Hi, I have the IQ160 and have the 40mm HR and the 70mm HR. Both are excellent and can be shifted to the edge of the circle no problem. Image quality is excellent almost to the very edge. With the 40 I have regularly shifted to the max 15mm on the RM3Di and with the 70 up to 20mm rise with great results.

The 40 requires an LLC all the time but the corrections are not extreme so the files look very nice. No center filter required.

They Rodenstock HR-W's are boring lenses…meaning worry free, you just use them and shoot. The image quality will be excellent even with tilt. Just do not stop them down too much though, they are designed to be used at about f8 max or so. They are great even wide open.
Exactly my experience, but I use a h5d50 with my Arca rm3d
Stanley

Pemihan

Good to know the HR's are just fine on the 160/260.

I looked some more at my test pics and the demo 260 I tested had issues with the 35XL straight on... Hmmm...

Peter