The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Testing the LS240 and 2X

Don Libby

Just got news, thanks to Dave Gallagher, Capture Integration, that I'll be getting a Phase One Leaf Shutter 240 mm f/4.5 and the Schneider 2x teleconverter which was announced by Phase One on September 4, 2013.

I'm currently in Jackson Hole WY shooting winter landscape and with the addition of the 240 and 2x I'll be testing that combo on the elk herd in the National Elk Refuge as well as the winter herds of buffalo, moose and rams.

Stay tuned.

Don

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Don

I shot the 2x converter with my 240LS a couple of months ago. Be sure to get hold of the long lens scafolding for it or a Kirk or RRS long lens support.

I liked the results but you must use good long lens techniques with the converter combo.

The 240LS is a very very sharp lens and I think you'll have trouble giving it back.

Don Libby

Thanks for the heads up Graham. I used to use a 500 long time ago with the Canon.

Regarding giving it back - that's going to be a real problem.....

ondebanks

Don

I shot the 2x converter with my 240LS a couple of months ago. Be sure to get hold of the long lens scafolding for it or a Kirk or RRS long lens support.

I liked the results but you must use good long lens techniques with the converter combo.

The 240LS is a very very sharp lens and I think you'll have trouble giving it back.
Graham, how did you get on with focusing at effective f/9?

Ray

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
It was no problem. I didn't try it in low light but in New England fall light it was fine. Manual focusing though.

I just got back from Africa, where I used the 240mm with the 2x for the past 5 weeks. I can chime in as well with my own experiences after I have a few days to get adjusted into the home time zone.

Don Libby

I just got back from Africa, where I used the 240mm with the 2x for the past 5 weeks. I can chime in as well with my own experiences after I have a few days to get adjusted into the home time zone.
Looking forward to hearing/seeing your results. Looks like between the 2 of us we've got the weather covered considering where you shot and the current conditions in Jackson Hole (lows in the sub-teens, highs in the mid 20s with snow 7 out of 10 days).

Did you shoot with any sort of lens plate?

Don

Don Libby

First thoughts:

The 240 is a beast!

Got the lens/extender late yesterday and will head out shortly but wanted to add a couple thoughts. The extender and lens combined are the same length as the 300 4.5. The extender is just a little over 2" and the lens is 7" long. It feels heavy yet manageable handheld although I'll be finding that out very shortly.

Stay tuned for more.....

Don Libby

Just posted the first installment on our blog. Short story is I like it.

I'm whipped right now but will add more here later.

Don Libby

What a difference a good nights sleep makes! I feel bad that all I did last night is post a notice about the blog and some samples however by the time I was done I was toast.

Here's some thoughts on the combination...

First off I'm testing the lens and extender in what I consider "real-world" conditions; at least mine anyway. I don't shoot brick walls. I shoot landscape and nature and wildlife, so that's what I'm interested.

My camera is a Phase DF and the back is an IQ160. As near as I can figure the 240 with a 2x extender is equal to just a little over 300mm in 35mm terms. I quickly found that this combination at 60 megapixels to be outstanding with awesome image quality.

Couple thing of note. Comparing the 240 and extender as a unit to my 300 4.5 I see that both are very close if not the same length. That's where the similarity ends as the 240/2x weights at least twice that of the 300. The 240 is also wider than the 300 and has a much wider focus ring which really helps.

Two-minor (in my opinion) with the 240/2x combo is the loss of autofocus and doubling the f/stop from 4.5 to f/9. There's work a-rounds for everything. I'm used to working with a long lens although maybe not as heavy however I found focusing (for me) to be a non-issue. The first shot yesterday was taken in an area in near shade so I bumped the ISO from my normal 50 to 200 and was able to get the shutter speed fast enough to reduce shake. The errors I had were mostly from lack of proper focus than camera shake; so in the end I am pleased.

I wanted to spend most of the day yesterday shooting handheld in order to judge just how well I could do. The Big Horn Sheep ranged in distances of within 100 feet to several hundred yards. We only found one small group of Buffalo and they were all within 75 yards yet had heavy bush in-between them and us. The Bull Moose was between 200-350 yards.

I'm about to go out soon just as soon as the sun comes up. The plan for today is the same as yesterday. Find herds of animals and capture them although I think today I'll also try and use the tripod as well.

The one big surprise from yesterday is the fact that I was able to get one file that I consider a gallery print and look forward to offering that very soon. Not bad at all for a day of testing.

The other aspect is the conditions. Started out a zero and by the time we left the Big Horn Sheep it warmed up to 4 and by the time we found the Moose it was up to the mid teens. An another note is that I routinely use the new camera shake reduction fround in Photoshop CC on any image taken handheld; sometimes it makes a difference and some it doesn't.

It may be too soon to say for sure however I really like this combination and it'll be hard giving it up.

Don

Don Libby

I understand several people who have used the 240LS and extender have spoken about the need for a long lens plate. After using this for 2-days handheld, monopod and tripod I really don't see it. Looking at the plates available I see some use however not for me (yet). I guess the factor I'm looking at is the lens plate is attached to the body however it appears the lens rests on the front edge. It might be stable on a tripod however I see some possible issues off.

The lens and extender are the same length of the 300 which I've been very comfortable using on a monopod and tripod without it feeling awkward. Although I've only used it now 2-days I have tried 4-different ways of shooting which I normally use, handheld and supported either on a window mount, monopod and tripod. After this admittedly short testing period I don't see a need of any extra support so long as you have a good monopod/tripod head. That said we all shoot differently and you need to work with what you feel the most comfortable with.

The samples attached are from this morning and show the full frame and crop. More information on the shooting conditions are included in the blog write-up.

I'm not done yet however hopefully Dave isn't reading this as I really like the lens and want to keep it.

There's more to come.

Don