The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Eye-Fi -> iPad wireless "tethered" image view

b&h should work, but i can't find the adapter card at b&h and maybe i'll wait a few days till jerome_m reports his experiences with the transcend card too ...:rolleyes:

jerome_m

The Transcend wifi SD card does not work. The problem is that the app on the iPad does not recognise .3fr files as image files. It recognises raw files from other cameras, but not the ones from Hasselblad.

Edit: and the card's wifi will not work in the Hasselblad. I got it to work yesterday, but in another camera. I thought my transmission problems where due to the considerable interference from neighbours' routers I have at home, but I tried it in a quieter environment and it still does not work. I think that the card does not turn on its transmitter in the camera.

Last edited:
bad news ...
does anyone know if "photosmith" does work with 3fr files?
would look very promising to work together with lightroom, but i'm afraid not with hasselblad though.

thanks for the link yongfei!

yongfei

Jerome: you can try ShutterSnitch. If it doesn't work with your RAW, you can contact Apple Store Support to get a refund. The apple store support is wonderful and very prompt.
2ndNature forums • View topic - RAW Support

Photomgraphy: for 3FR, I am using Photogene (cheap, and seems faster in opening the file) and piRAWnha (White Balance tool is very easy to use).

jerome_m

Jerome: you can try ShutterSnitch. If it doesn't work with your RAW, you can contact Apple Store Support to get a refund. The apple store support is wonderful and very prompt.

Apparently, I did not make myself understood. The problem is with the wifi application from Transcend. It is free (so no refund...) and is apparently the only way to connect to the card(*). It will download anything from the card, but will only pass to the other applications what it deems to be "pictures". It works with raw files from other cameras just fine. With the .3fr files that the hasselblad produces, it will download them but will not make them available to any other application and will do nothing with them (except save them on the iPad).

(*) Edit: after your answer, I realised this is what I did not understand. Shuttersnitch is another option to talk to the card.

Last edited:

yongfei

Jerome: I am actually talking about the (refund of) ShutterSnitch app. It is a bridging app, which goes between your Transcend WiFi app and the iPad. So there might be a chance that by going thru ShutterSnitch, 3fr will become available to other RAW editing apps. You may give it a try and let us know if it works through ShutterSnitch.

Here is a discussion about Transcend firmware update in ShutterSnitch forum. So obviously ShutterSnitch supports the Transcend wifi card:
2ndNature forums • View topic - Transcend Wi-Fi SD Card Firmware v1.5

I remember that if both ShutterSnitch and piRAWnha are installed, after you tap the 3fr picture, it will pop up an option that let you do an "open with" piRAWnha. Not the most convenient, as you may have to switch between two apps to open each RAW, but it should work...

jerome_m

Jerome: I am actually talking about the (refund of) ShutterSnitch app. It is a bridging app, which goes between your Transcend WiFi app and the iPad. So there might be a chance that by going thru ShutterSnitch, 3fr will become available to other RAW editing apps.

Indeed, from a look at the ShutterSnitch app, it appears to be able to work as a replacement of the transcend software for transferring files from the card to the iPad. I would try ShutterSnitch if I had not realised in the meantime that the card's wifi will not work in the Hasselblad. I got it to work yesterday, but in another camera. I thought my transmission problems where due to the considerable interference from neighbours' routers I have at home, but I tried it in a quieter environment and it still does not work. I think that the card does not turn on its transmitter in the camera.

Last edited:

jerome_m

B&H will ship the Eye-Fi Pro X2 16GB to Europe. The card costs $80, UPS shipping $40.

A DeLOCK CFast Adapter for SD / MMC costs Euro 35 from alternate.de in Germany. Here's the link:

DeLOCK CFast Adapter für SD / MMC Speicherkarten, Kartenleser
That is an adapter for Cfast, not for compact flash. What you want is this one:

Delock Compact Flash Adapter für SD Speicherkarten

Please note that this other one does not work in Hasselblad cameras:
Delock Compact Flash Adapter für SD / MMC Speicherkarten (the only apparent difference is the product code and that the text printed on the card is in German).

dorigatti

That is an adapter for Cfast, not for compact flash. What you want is this one:

Delock Compact Flash Adapter für SD Speicherkarten

Please note that this other one does not work in Hasselblad cameras:
Delock Compact Flash Adapter für SD / MMC Speicherkarten (the only apparent difference is the product code and that the text printed on the card is in German).
Jerome I was just about to order it so thanks for the info. However, I don't understand. What is the difference between CFast and Compact Flash? I also read in this thread a recommendation for another brand of adapter (Digigear)avaiable on eBay. So, is it better for me to look for another adapter?

yongfei

Jerome I was just about to order it so thanks for the info. However, I don't understand. What is the difference between CFast and Compact Flash? I also read in this thread a recommendation for another brand of adapter (Digigear)avaiable on eBay. So, is it better for me to look for another adapter?
eBay was not recommended in this thread. It is important to have the correct version of CF adapter. Digigear is one of the brands recommended by the Taiwan factory on Facebook for US buyers. If you are not in the US, then you may try other different brands and let us know what other adapter works.
https://www.facebook.com/SDCF4I5/posts/344093475729643

jerome_m

Jerome I was just about to order it so thanks for the info. However, I don't understand. What is the difference between CFast and Compact Flash?
CFast is the so-called successor to Compact Flash. It is not pin compatible, so the adapter will not fit in a Compact Flash slot.

I also read in this thread a recommendation for another brand of adapter (Digigear)avaiable on eBay. So, is it better for me to look for another adapter?
I suppose that the only difference between some adapters is the label...

ahotflash

hi Yongfei
thank you for sharing this valuable information:
-do you think the Eye-Fi Pro X2 16G SD card and the
Digigear SD SDHC SDXC to CF tpye II CF Ultimate CF Adapter will work for wireless tethering with my Canon 1Ds or 5Dc for wireless tethering?
-and will do i need piRAWnha RAW editor if I am only using it for wireless live transfer of raw files from the two above cameras?
-also I have the iPad v.1 original if it is revelant
(I am currently tethering with a cable and it is good for reviewing exposure; but it would be better to be wireless in the field, at the beach, in Hawaii, where I live!)
thank you
d david y

-

yongfei

David, glad that this information might be helpful to you. While I was researching this topic, a lot of people were discussing about Canon 5D II etc. So in general, this should work for Canon. Some cameras have a metal body, so the transfer range could be severely shortened.

In general, you would only need Eye-Fi app. piRAWnha (or a similar RAW viewer) is only needed for some digital backs that only embed a tiny LCD sized JPEG file (such as Hasselblad 3fr format). For many DSLRs, Apple iPad's iPhoto can open the embeded JPEG to a full screen. Also, PhotoGene is a very good RAW app which only costs $1 (and works with Hasselblad 3fr). That is a good alternative app to piRAWnha.

As for the device, even iPad 3 has some out-of-memory problem when viewing 15-20mb+ RAW files through piRAWnha. So a latest iPad is recommended. iPad mini 2 has the same hardware, and the wi-fi only version should work. Also, you may consider using Google Nexus 7. However, the iPad Air/mini 2 would transfer a little faster than Nexus 7 II.

dorigatti

Jerome and Yongfei:

A very big thanks to you both for the otherwise very difficult to get info that you shared. Perfect start of the New Year! Much appreciated. I ordered the Eye-Fi Pro X2 from B&H and the DeLock CF / SD adapter from alternate.nl. I have a Hasseblad CFV-50 I want to hook up to my iPad Mini Retina. I will get Photogene. When all the pieces come together I'll let you know how I get on.

hsberlin

hi,
my solution for bringing photos from a camera to my ipad is using an apotop wi-reader ( Apotop Wi-Reader ) , has some nice features, sd slot & usb port ( i use my lexar card reader with it ) & ethernet port. Didn`t try it with Hassy Raw files but transferred my 5dmk3 files with our problems.
On my ipad i use filter storm pro, snapseed , picturepro (!!!!) photosmith and photoraw.

Regards
Henning
PS: Would love to try it with 3fr files if i had a cfv but i`m still looking for back, if anyone has a tip for me where to get one for a fair price let me know.......

yongfei

Henning, that's an interesting product. It is basically a "wireless" SD card/USB reader as I understand.

The advantage of Eye-Fi wireless transfer is that you don't have to power-off and take out SD card to upload RAW files for focus checking all the time. Of course, the speed could be much slower in Eye-Fi...