The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Variable ND filter for HR32?

jagsiva

Gerald,

Hitech makes up to 105mm, and this maybe a better size for that lens with a step-up ring.

Hitech 105mm Multistop Filter - Photographic Retailer in London, Ship Worldwide! | Teamwork Digital

Not sure how a variable ND will perform on that lens, because they are essentially two polarizers sandwiched together, I don't believe the quality is equal to using a single ND filter.

I went with a set of Heliopan coated slim ND filters. I also went with the larger 105mm for two reasons. Firstly, vignetting with is already and issue on that lens without CF. Secondly, I can use it over the CF if needed. So a 105mm with a step-up ring was my choice.

The normal ND filters come in 105mm sizes as well and up to 10stops (similar to the Lee Big Stopper, but in a screw-in format)

I got all mine from Teamworks in the UK. I also got their slim c.polarizer. Prices were very good, and they are a great bunch guys to deal with.

The Heliopan filters are very high-quality, and in no way inferior to b+w that i have 77mm set in. Only complaint was I had to wait for some of the filters in the larger size as they were special order.

Heliopan Neutral Density Filter - ND 0.6 - Photographic Retailer in London, Ship Worldwide! | Teamwork Digital

Shashin

Gerald, the weakness to variable ND filters is at their maximum density where the "black X" effect becomes visible. This gets worse the wider the lens. If you are going to use it for the lower density range, they may be worth it. I might get two regular ND filters which you could stack for three different densities--two stacked ND filters is no more glass than one variable ND filter.

Speaking of Heliopan filters, I had a CF that had air bubbles in it. The US distributor was also a nightmare to work with when I tried to replace it under warranty.

miska

Hi !
Would such a variable ND filter be a solution to use Live View on an IQ160 back ? So dial in maximum ND for LV-focusing, and the dial it back to minimum for taking the picture ? Could be less hassle than sliding in a regular ND filter and then taking it out again.
Of course, you still lose light even at the lowest setting, but may be convenient.

What do you think ?

Ken_R

I would not use a variable ND filter with a very wide angle lens due to the black "cross" or "x" image effect and non-uniform results on skies for example. It isn't the best solution for image quality anyway so I would end up removing it to take the shot. Much easier to just use a Lee/Schneider square filter system. Quick snap on - snap off if needed.

gerald.d

Many thanks for the sage advice folks. Had no idea about the "black X" problem.

I'll get a couple more Lee ND's so that I can mix up anything between about a 2 stop and a 10 stop.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Ken_R

Many thanks for the sage advice folks. Had no idea about the "black X" problem.

I'll get a couple more Lee ND's so that I can mix up anything between about a 2 stop and a 10 stop.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
That's a good idea. I have a 2 , 4 and a 8 stop. I use them single or pair them up as needed. Generally I only travel with the 4 and the 8.

gerald.d

Hmm.

Looking into this, the problem with Lee is that they jump from 3-stop to 10-stop. I've got them both already, but it's the bit in the middle that I often find I'm wanting.

I'm now considering a 1,2,4,8-stop set of Hitech ProStops, rather than mixing and matching brands.

Anyone familiar with the Hitechs? Are the glass ones worth it over the resin?

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Ken_R

Hi, I have the Hitech's and they are nice. They have IR filtration so Color is quite good even with the 10 stop. I now use the Schneider IRND's (4x4") and they are superb. They are heavier but the glass is dang near perfect. I got the landscape kit that comes with the modified lee holder to accommodate the thicker Schneider filters. It uses the standard lee adapter rings though (I use the wide angle rings) which is great.

I got the schneiders to get better glass and to move up in size since my hitech's are the Cokin P size which is smaller and not big enough when I am shift stitching.

Last edited: