The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tilt-shift lenses

WWLEE

Happy (almost) New Year to everyone!

I just saw a caption in a photo book where the author used a tilt-shift lens on an older MFDB back, which I didn't know was an option. Hence my question here...

I've got a 645DF body with an IQ180 back. I've not yet taken the plunge into technical cameras and don't know if I will. I shoot primarily landscapes. I'm wondering if you all might know of any good tilt-shift lenses that would yield high quality images on my rig. I'm thinking I'd like something around 40mm give or take. Feel free to tell me this is a bad idea if you think so!

Thanks!

kdphotography

You are treading on dangerous grounds, Will. You've already joined Dante's Inferno. You might as well go whole hog.

Your tilt-shift options for the Phase DF are severely limited, no matter how you want to look at it. Hartblei/Phase 45mm t/s or the new 120mm t/s. Did I miss any others?

The short answer for your IQ180 and a nice t/s lens is the Rodenstock HR40 t/s.

Now you just need to add (pick only one, although Alpa owners tend to collect more than one ;)):

Alpa
Arca
Cambo
Sinar
Hcam

The confusing part is that there are several different technical camera bodies made by each manufacturer. They are all nicely made and work well. You just need to find the one that makes you excited.

C'mon in---the water's fine. :D

ken

WWLEE

When I hear "come on in, the water's fine", I know to turn tail and run for my life!

Thanks for your guidance. I suspected I would hear something along the lines of what you said. I collected feedback from the good folks on this board early in the year about technical cameras, but am putting off jumping into the water, despite all the coaxing about how warm it is!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
In addition to the standard T/S options that Ken mentioned, there's the Mamiya 50mm shift lens (although no tilt).

There's also the Zork multi-focus adapter system too although it's a bit specialized but will give you T/S on a DF albeit only with 80mm+ lenses.

And then there's the technical camera bottomless pit ...

WWLEE

Does anyone here have experience using the Hartblei/Phase 45mm t/s lens on an IQ180 and 645DF body? Looking for commentary on lens and image quality. The focal length is right for me (landscape photography) and the lens looks fairly compact in size and weight. So usability and and image quality are the unknowns for me....
Again, just looking for a good tilting lens to help me get great landscapes without having to dive into the technical camera world. Thanks again!

kdphotography

The Hartblei is a brick. It's heavy and reminiscent of a tank built in the Soviet-era. It's kind of a fun lens, but I think really limited to use with older generation (lower res) MFDBs or for it's artistic appeal. And that's if you have a good copy. Probably not the best solution for landscape work, and imho, not a good choice for your IQ180.

Aside from the pure photographic enjoyment of a technical camera, the strengths are with wide angle lenses and movements paired with a high resolution MFDB. DSLR cameras can't compete in this area, and that includes the Phase DF and her cousins as well as the venerable H, S2, and 645D.

*If* Phase/Schneider could address the wide angle achilles heel and offer a really kick-*** wide angle lens (ala in the rarified air of the 150D and 240LS) it would take a bite out of technical camera sales, imo, even at a $10K price tag. And with movements too? I don't think it's going to happen.

The 28D, 35D, and 45D are decent enough lenses and if you can live with those on your Phase DF/IQ180 it's not exactly like you're skimping that much. :eek:

But the next step up in quality is a noticeable one: a technical camera.

It's not as intimidating as it may seem, once you get over the initial price of investment. But honestly, if you hold yourself to what I call a "one-lens wonder" you can keep costs down and have an great landscape system, not to mention a really enjoyable photographic experience. And that (to me) is what I think many photographers overlook.

I started with a Cambo WRS (IQ180) and the HR40 t/s. I went on landscape photo trips with only that one lens---and had a blast. A one-lens wonder of a landscape system. It can be done.

I'd suggest trying one of the few medium format digital workshops that will allow you to try various systems, lenses, and workflow, and see if it's right for you. If you can make it out to the west coast in next year, Capture Integration in Carmel is February 21-23, 2014.

You've already made the larger investment in your MFDB, which imho, the IQ series and a technical camera are a match made in heaven. I think you already know the answer. And you're still here, Will, just standing on the edge. C'mon in, Will---the water's fine. Really.

:) ken

weinlamm

Does anyone here have experience using the Hartblei/Phase 45mm t/s lens on an IQ180 and 645DF body? Looking for commentary on lens and image quality.
Not in the moment. But Mark and I want to test it in january; see here.
I have the version II of the Phase One 45mm ( so our local Phase One-representative said ) and Mark will have a IQ180 then.

WWLEE

Thanks, Ken, for your detailed reply. Much appreciated. Thanks to you, too, Christian.

Is the IQ180 a good match for a technical camera? I thought I'd read over the past year or two that people preferred the IQ160 for technical cameras due to lens cast correction or other issues, no?

Thanks again. And you're probably right, at some point, I'll just pinch my nose and jump into the water! Not sure I can make Carmel, but maybe. Would be a last minute thing - if that's even an option?

Cheers

kdphotography

Imo, I think the IQ180 is great with a technical camera. It really comes down to personal choices. The IQ180/IQ280 will limit you more with regard to lens choices (because of color cast), typically retrofocal Rodenstock lenses, at least at the wider end. It really is only an issue for those that are already invested in technical camera lenses and upgrading their backs, finding that some lenses don't work well with the 80 MP sensor backs. I think the Schneider 35xl is an excellent example of this, and imho, unfairly took a hit because of this limitation, even with photographers who never will upgrade to an 80MP MFDB. It's still a good lens, just not with the 80MP backs. You should be shooting an LCC with each final image capture to correct for potential lens cast in post.

If you've already got the IQ180, it isn't as much of an issue as you can shop for the right lenses for your MFDB from the start. I think the preference for the IQ160 is that it opens up more lens possibilities. The IQ260 adds a different twist by enabling longer exposures. The reality is that I very rarely (as in never) use my IQ180 with exposures exceeding a minute. But ISO 35 on the IQ180 is something that I use all the time in landscape photography---and that's not an option on the IQ160/260. There are definitely a few differences with the MFDBs, but the differences should be weighted according to your own personal value in selecting the best MFDB for your technical camera.

Going to something like Capture Integration in Carmel would definitely be worthwhile to see/try technical cameras with a MFDB. You might even find that you hate technical cameras (I doubt it!). But you know at least the food will be good! :)

ken