The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What digital back for Mamiya RZ IID

cem3387

It would be great to hear more in detail what the 3-4 times higher price tag brings with the 210 APO.

Marko, What is in you experience the difference between the DM22/33 (except price and resolution and screen size)?

Thanks,

Daniel

It would be great to hear more in detail what the 3-4 times higher price tag brings with the 210 APO.

Marko, What is in you experience the difference between the DM22/33 (except price and resolution and screen size)?

Thanks,

Daniel

The 210mm APO is a true apochromat. The 180 ... isn't. So whereas the 180 will be great and look about the same as a regular lens, the 210 will look clean and natural, with clean color but be laser sharp at the same time.

The 22/33 are very similar backs. If you don't need/want the extra resolution of the 33 I consider the 22 the better choice. It creates a somewhat cleaner file though is more prone to moire, but this can be easily fixed in C1. The bigger pixels means focusing is a bit easier too.

cem3387

Hi Doug,

Notably the DM33 is ISO50-800, while the DM22 is ISO25-400.
I rarely shoot outside the 50-100ISO on the D3x so I think it's not really a problem for me either way.

Could you please tell me more about the focusing issue that have came up with DB on the RZ.

I thought that the film/sensor plane was the same so what you see (in the finder) is what you get but that is apparently not the case with DB on the RZ.

Thanks,

Daniel

itsskin

Nothing special, but DB is more demanding to precise focusing. Film has some thickness and can forgive little focus errors. With DB CCD has almost zero thickness and focus must be dead on, especially if you shoot wide open.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
A good dealer checks focus alignment on every system they sell and will gladly step you through how to double check their work. At least we do.

RZ is fairly straight forward to check and correct.

Aryan Aqajani

Just wanted to say I use my RZ67 Pro IID with DM22 (Leaf Aptus-II 5) back. I sold my 645 AFD III and replaced it with the RZ! Why? Simply, because I had so many photos out of focus using Mamiya 80mm f/1.9 N or even 80mm f/2.8 D lens. However, 90% of images taken with the RZ and digital back is correctly focused even handhold! Just use a bright screen like one of matte ones by Bill Maxwell. More info about the screen can be found here Bill Maxwell Hi-Lux Brilliant Matte Focusing Screen Review | Aryan Aqajani