The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera questions

E

edwinb

I think the above discussion wouldn't be complete without mentioning the Sinar arTec, It is a little wider but can do step and repeat accuratly almost doubling the pixels of the cameraback, Leaf as well as sinar camerabacks compatible
Edwin

Don Libby

Thanks Edwin for the information.

We’ve got several threads ongoing related to technical cameras and several images of them spread over many pages. I’d like to suggest a new thread only this time it’d be more like show and tell; kinda like show us your technical camera!

don

etrigan63

Thanks for the input Edwin! The SinarTec had been mentioned but it is too large for my purposes.

Jack, I prefer to use Aperture 2 and Leaf files come up very nicely there now. The Phase files load into Aperture 2 but don't render previews correctly. Plus, the Leaf can save me a few bucks in not having to use a wake-up grip.

Stephen, the cafe is called "Pink" and I have eaten there with my sister who lives a couple of blocks away from CI. I am meeting up with Chris on the week of the 26th as Doug is away teaching a class.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Doug will be in Moab at our workshop teaching C1 from basic to advanced techniques and also bringing the Cambo and hopefully a Silvestri plus a bunch of Phase backs. One reason besides the learning and shooting going on it is great to try this stuff out before putting out the money. We do happen to have ONLY one spot left. Need to read those workshop announcement folks.:grin:

C

carbonmetrictree

Hi Carlos,

I have a Bogen 410 geared head for my 90 degree rotations, the ALPAs do not have any mechanism for a rotational axis. The 410 is mounted on a Gitzo GT5561SGT, giving me tons of stability to feel a little more comfortable about having my camera hanging sideways.

The wake up cable grip does come in rosewood/pearwood and also synthetic. I have been happy with my results with KG's One Shot, and using ALPA's cable release shoulder accessory and supplied ALPA cable release (that works with the One Shot). I'll take a few photographs of my camera to give you a better idea once I'm done with some of my work tonight.

Could you explain this further? Does the SWA have a method for mounting the camera at 90 degree rotation? That would certainly clear up the horizontal stitching issue.

Is the wakeup cable grip available in rosewood/pearwood or is it synthetic grips only?

C

carbonmetrictree

I actually like some of the color cast in my personal work, so I'll actually just import all of the files into LR2 and edit the Phase TIFFs directly in there, rather than using C1Pro. C1 does retain more sharpness than LR2, but I like how LR2 handles highlight recovery and shadow fill than C1.

Carlos:

Just curious as to why the Leaf fits better into your workflow -- are you already using LEAF Capture software for some other camera?

Cheers,

etrigan63

I met with Chris today and Lance showed up as well. We talked about technical cameras and got to handle the Cambo Wide DS and I have to say that it's a lot smaller than I expected. The RS must be tiny in comparison! I will be doing a write up about my visits to CI and I will let you guys know when they are up. Puttering around Flickr, I noticed that there wasn't any groups for Cambo digital shooters so I took the initiative and created one. I invite all interested parties to join and participate! The URL is:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/cambodigital