The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera questions

etrigan63

Hey all,

couple quick questions to satisfy my curiosity:

What tilt/shift technical cameras are out there? I know about Alpa, Cambo & I saw the Arca Swiss Rm3d at PhotoPlus. In particular, non bellows cameras and preferably ones that aren't too big.

What (more or less) would be the cost of one of these rigs (sans MFDB)?

TIA

D

DougDolde

Now that would be an incredibly easy way to do your research !

stephengilbert

Carlos,

You can get an idea of US ALPA prices on the Badger Graphis website: http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=32 You might get these items for a bit less elsewhere, but at least these folks post prices. ALPA makes beautiful cameras and accessories, but I think their prices border on being silly.

ALPA make a few shift cameras, but to get tilt, you have to buy a tilt adapter, and shorter mount versions of the lenses. (80mm and up, as I recall). Don't forget that the camera prices don't include viewfinders or back adapters.

I believe that ALPA will sell lens mounts for their listed lenses if you already have one. Otherwise, as you'll see, the ALPA mount lenses are quite pricey.

Steve

etrigan63

Now that would be an incredibly easy way to do your research !
Marilyn vos Savant said:
"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe."

Why reinvent the wheel when I can learn from the experiences of the other fine folks here? Besides, not all of the technical camera companies have useful websites (Arca Swiss in MIA web-wise).

And Doug, just because some people had to learn the hard way, it doesn't mean that the cycle of difficult information acquisition has to continue. That's what the Renaissance was about.

etrigan63

Steve, thanks I will check that out.

Carsten, I had forgotten about Sinar. They are always a bit out of reach.

rmueller

Hi Carlos,

Linhof showed the new Linhof Techno at photkina 2008, basically a stripped
down version of the 679s, see http://www.linhof.de/news-1_e.html
Although its not as compact as the Alpa, its compact and lightweight enough to carry around in the field. The camera will come out this summer and what i heard the price
is around 4700 Euro.

Best Regards,
Ralf

etrigan63

Thank you Ralf. I did look at the specs of the Linhof, and although it looks to be a fine instrument, it is a bellows-based design and not what I am looking for.

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Carlos,

You may also want to take a look at the Silvestri Bicam or Flexicam. These are very compact-mini view camera systems that have all the movements of traditional view cameras but are designed to be used with MF digital backs.
Both of these systems can be used with a sliding back or a standard mount where you just attach the back directly to the system.

You can mount your own lenses in their special bayonet mount or purchase one's pre-mounted. There are also adapter for V-series and Nikon lenses.

Let me know if you need more information.

Lance

etrigan63

Thanks for links, Lance. Does anyone have the contact info for Arca Swiss in the US? The Rm3d looks like a contender but there is no Arca Swiss web page for me to look this up.

Carlos,

You may also want to take a look at the Silvestri Bicam or Flexicam. These are very compact-mini view camera systems that have all the movements of traditional view cameras but are designed to be used with MF digital backs.
Both of these systems can be used with a sliding back or a standard mount where you just attach the back directly to the system.

Let me know if you need more information.

Lance
Lance, maybe you can clarify something for me, I've been looking at this model also:

I contacted the UK distributor, and was told that it didn't support 5x4; yet there are 5x4 backs listed for this model, in fact there are three (I presume the differences are simply in the format markings?). Please can you tell me whether it does or doesn't?

If it does, I was interested in using this with non-HR digital Rodenstock glass; do you also know the shortest lens length that can be used when using the flexibellow maxi at 5x4 (I'm not bothered about image circle, just focussing to infinity).

Thanks,

Graham.

Last edited:

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Lance, you guys are Cambo dealers right? What's your (and Doug's) opinion of the Cambo WRS-1000?
Carlos,

I am no longer working for Capture Integration. I am however still involved within the industry supporting , selling and consulting on digital photography solutions as I was doing previously.(please not new contact info below and stay tuned for more details). I am still based down by you Carlos!

The Cambo RS1000 is an excellent technical camera platform that was built around the success of the WDS, but designed from the ground up as a digital platform. This RS1000 does the x/y movements on the rear of the camera shifting the digital back in both directions.Don Libby is using one and has some threads up here on this site, and also Jack, Guy and I spend some time using it on our recent trip to evaluate the P65+.

It does not offer tilts or swings like the ARCA,ALPA with adapter, Artec or Silvestri.

The Horseman SWD-ProII D is also another solution to consider if you are looking for an economical way to get X/Y movements and the use of digital lenses. There are few users on this site using this solution.

Lance

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Lance, maybe you can clarify something for me, I've been looking at this model also:

I contacted the UK distributor, and was told that it didn't support 5x4; yet there are 5x4 backs listed for this model, in fact there are three (I presume the differences are simply in the format markings?). Please can you tell me whether it does or doesn't?

If it does, I was interested in using this with non-HR digital Rodenstock glass; do you also know the shortest lens length that can be used when using the flexibellow maxi at 5x4 (I'm not bothered about image circle, just focusing to infinity).

Thanks,

Graham.
Graham,
I will work on getting clarification in this for you.

Lance

etrigan63

Thanks all for your replies and support. I have decided to shoot for the Alpa 12 SWA with tilt adapter + Leaf Aptus-II 6 digital back. This is a long term goal for me as a photographer.

I created some wallpapers for the desktop. If anyone wants the fullsized (2560x1600) image the links are after each image:

Full Sized Image

Full Sized Image

Don Libby

Lance, you guys are Cambo dealers right? What's your (and Doug's) opinion of the Cambo WRS-1000?
Hi Carlos

I’m neither Lance nor Doug however I just could pas up the chance to sing the praises of the Cambo RS 1000.

There’s been a considerable amount written about the new RS (some by me) so I really don’t want to do a rehash. What I’d like to do is address the simplicity of the RS.

When I first started looking at technical cameras my main worry was being able to achieve a proper focus followed by the fact I’d be returning to a fully manual type of shooting. What I immediately found was a system so scary simple I thought at first I was doing something wrong.

I’ve not had a single image that wasn’t in focus – if I did my part. What I mean is I need to remember to check the focus point to make sure I didn’t change from the last time I was out or that it didn’t get knocked out of whack.

Same goes for remembering to cock the shutter each time (I’m getting better) as well as remembering to take the lens cap off (I’m over that now).

One of the things I like the most about the RS is the brain dead simply method of being able to stitch images and have close to 100% usable image once I merge them in CS4.

It hasn’t been all wine and cheese as I’m still struggling (less each time) with lens cast and color corrections cause by the lens. I’ve always preferred to run away from center filters and in doing so I need to do multiple LCC’s (topic of another thread).

Returning to the positive – I have both a 35 and 72mm lens (which equate to 25 & 51mm) and so far I have had to need to use a viewfinder thus saving me several hundreds of dollars.

There’s more that I could say about this kit but then I’d start sounding like a salesman or some such thing which I’m not.

don