The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hassy HTS 1.5

tashley

Subscriber Member
I'm curious to know about other peoples' experiences with this: I think we've been assured by the Phase One response to another thread here that their own TS lens is unlikely to satisfy the demanding user so I am trying to scope out other options. My dealer has suggested Horseman or Cambo tech camera with 35mm lens as an alternative but these are shift only. I need tilt too and so the Hassy solution looks intriguing and sounds impressive from their PDF data sheet at

http://www.hasselblad.com/media/1332322/uk_hts_datasheet_v6.pdf

but there's always the chance that the marketing guys have been allowed sight of the 'data'

Best

T

etrigan63

I saw this arrangement at PhotoPlus and I have to say the images coming out of the system were very impressive. The fact that lens data is passed through the HTS to the H3 body allows Phocus to continue to make lens corrections in post. Slick.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I saw this arrangement at PhotoPlus and I have to say the images coming out of the system were very impressive. The fact that lens data is passed through the HTS to the H3 body allows Phocus to continue to make lens corrections in post. Slick.
Thanks Carlos,

I am particularly interested to hear if anyone has seen it used for landscape or architectural purposes? Someone told me they thought it didn't 'do' infinity focus, which according to the data sheet is not true.

Last edited:

carstenw

I didn't use to think it could get infinity focus, and said so here, but someone kindly pointed out that there is an optical element to the HTS, so it does.

Nick-T

It certainly does focus to infinity :)
I shot with it continuously for 5 days at Photokina and was very impressed, desperate to get one in my studio as it seems now that every single shot needs it :) What really makes it shine are the corrections, trust me when I say NO ONE else can do these corrections, they just don't have the data they need. Looking at Piets second screen shot in the Hartblei thread you can clearly see the colour aberration around the window frame which you won't see with the HTS due to the corrections. I certainly didn't shoot any landscapes at Photokina :) but did shoot some "architectural" shots of the stand next to us. As someone pointed out the multiplication factor means that the 28mm with the HTS becomes a 42mm (not THAT bad for MF) but it is very easy to stitch images if you need wider. I did a quick stitch at the stand of three frames (actually I didn't need the middle frame) and ended up with a shot approx 30% wider than the 28mm would have given me on it's own.
Hope that helps
Nick-T

tashley

Subscriber Member
It certainly does focus to infinity :)
I shot with it continuously for 5 days at Photokina and was very impressed, desperate to get one in my studio as it seems now that every single shot needs it :) What really makes it shine are the corrections, trust me when I say NO ONE else can do these corrections, they just don't have the data they need. Looking at Piets second screen shot in the Hartblei thread you can clearly see the colour aberration around the window frame which you won't see with the HTS due to the corrections. I certainly didn't shoot any landscapes at Photokina :) but did shoot some "architectural" shots of the stand next to us. As someone pointed out the multiplication factor means that the 28mm with the HTS becomes a 42mm (not THAT bad for MF) but it is very easy to stitch images if you need wider. I did a quick stitch at the stand of three frames (actually I didn't need the middle frame) and ended up with a shot approx 30% wider than the 28mm would have given me on it's own.
Hope that helps
Nick-T

Thank you Nick: that is very useful grist to my mill. I am tempted to say that software correction must by it's nature involve cancellation and interpolation, and therefore effective loss of resolution - but hey ho there's no free lunch and if it is sharp and clear, it has to be worth a look!

Thanks!

Tim

Nick-T

I am tempted to say that software correction must by it's nature involve cancellation and interpolation, and therefore effective loss of resolution -

Tim
You are right of course, I can only say that I cannot see any resulting degradation, I guess there has to be some, it's just that I can't see it.

Nick-T

PeterA

I am looking forward to my HTS...sadly it will be another example of Hasselblad 'cheating' by using poor quality lenses and dubious software enhancements....

these of course will negatively impact on the prints made..:ROTFL::ROTFL:

Nick-T

Mark, latest I've heard is the beginning of February so in two weeks! Hope that's the case.
Regards
Nick-T

tashley

Subscriber Member
I heard from Hassy Horse's Mouth yesterday that they'll hopefully have one for themselves at Focus (end Feb) and that retail models will be more like March and not the start thereof by the sound of it...

Nick-T

The product manager tells me that they have units sitting at the factory waiting for optics to be installed and that the will ship the first ones mid February.
Nick-T