The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tips for large camera bag

torger

I think fstopgear backpacks are great as they've designed them similar to hiking and outdoor packs, ie you can actually carry them with weight in them without breaking your back.

I just received my Satori EXP backpack which is their largest bag, and it seems to be just great, with one exception -- this largest bag is still rather small.

I have their largest ICU, which takes my Linhof Techno, sliding back and six lenses and some filter stuff, but then there's not much space left for clothes and food for longer day trips in the wild. I also plan to get 1 or 2 more lenses and then the largest ICU will be a bit too small.

So does someone have a tip for a bag that's larger than fstop gear's Satori, but otherwise designed in a similar way?

danlindberg

I'm experimenting on something that I 'think' will satisfy my needs, but not yet finished.

I stripped an old large expedition backpack (30 years old) so I only have the frame and straps. I am working on a hook/strap arrangement to attach either one Pelicase vertically for a 'smallish' backpack but the frame is large enough to accommodate two Pelicases in a horizontal position if I need the space.

I will post pics when I'm happy with it…...:)

MartinN

Less IS more ?
And if not I have myself considered a hiking backpack
with loose lenscases and gear packed into small separate
pouches...

torger

It's likely that a custom solution is required, so I surely like to see what you come up with.

Using a hiking backpack (up to 120 litres exist, twice the size of the Satori EXP) is one alternative, but I would need some sort of backpack where you can have fast access to often used equipment, which in my case would be the camera, sliding back, filter system and 6 lenses. I plan to expand to 7 or 8 lenses, but two of them would be rarely used and could be kept in a slower access position. With 8 lenses and separate loose pouches it can easily become a bit chaotic in the bag :)

Pemihan

Torger, you do know you can get the tripod bags and gate keeper straps for the Satori?
You could easily have three or four of those attached to the sides and bottom/top of the backpack and of course use them for all kinds of stuff besides tripods.

I my self have the Satori and have purchased the above and plan to use if for tent, sleeping bag and other necessities for 1-2 day trips in the wild..

Peter

Last edited:

dchew

Anders,
I applaud you for your ambition. 8 lenses and all the other stuff. :clap:

I'm sure you have heard of the saying, "The amount of stuff you have is directly proportional to the size of the barn you have to put it in." I am interested in the Satori, but was thinking only the medium or large ICU. Pemihan's approach sounds attractive.

Pemihan, what ICU are you planning on for what you describe, and how much leftover space is there. Enough for:
v. small tent or bivy sack
2 days food
the usual few layers of clothing
Water
Small stove
And the misc little stuff we all carry...

I have the Large ICU and the sloped medium. I am hoping the full depth medium will be perfect.

Dave

Torger, you do know you can get the tripod bags and gate keeper straps for the Satori?
You could easily have three or four of those attached to the sides and bottom/top of the backpack and of course use them for all kinds of stuff besides tripods.

I my self have the Satori and have purchased the above and plan to use if for tent, sleeping bag and other necessities for 1-2 day trips in the wild..

Peter

Pemihan

Dave,

For my Cambo setup I use a medium ICU, everything fits in there as it is today..
(DB, WRS-1250, SK24XL, SK35XL, SK47XL, SK120 SB, viewfinder and various accessories)
That leaves enough room for food, spare clothing, small stove, water filter ect..
Tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad and tripod would go on the outside.

If I want to bring my DSLR setup (1Ds III, 24 TS-E II, 70-300L) too I will carry the camera with lens attached in a chest pack attached to the straps of the Satori. The other lens will go inside the pack in a lens wrap/dry bag.
I also have a small ICU for the times when I need to have everything inside the pack (air travel and such)

I would go with medium and small ICU's so you can be rather flexible depending on the purpose of the trip.
Or get one small, one medium and one large. Not the sloped ones though... I got my first medium ICU sloped but now also have the full depth which is much better for my setup.

Regarding water I have a 3 liter reservoir with tube which fits inside the Satori. I also have a 6L MSR Dromedary Bag for water storage which I can attach on the outside of the bag.
I try to make do with finding and filtering water though, but sometimes that's not possible.

Peter

JeRuFo

I think strapping stuff to the outside of the pack is a better plan than using a bigger pack with various little cases and lens cloths. No matter how much you strap to the satori, you will always be able to open up the back and have most of your stuff very well organised and ready to shoot. Plus, clothing on the outside saves you the hassle of having to open up your bag every time you want to put away a fleece.

If you bring all the stuff you own, but can't reach it, you might as well not bring it. You will only loose shots while you are getting your camera ready. Plus you have to unpack your bag to a large extend every time and put some of your gear on the ground or keep repacking your bag the whole time. If you can't fit a small camera setup like that into the Satori, maybe your kit needs a rethink, not the bag. Your back will thank you.

That being said, I wish there was someone that made a bigger pack, even if it had only the camera compartment of the satori, for camping.

Nick Devlin

I'm a huge fan of Gura Gear's bags. Their new 18L in particular swallows an enormous amount of gear for a small bag, is extremely comfortable to carry and is carry-on compliant. Gura Gear

You can never be too rich, too good looking, or have too many camera bags :)

- N.

torger

The Satori EXP is 62 litres, my dream backpack would be something like 80 litres. Yes it would be a big bag, but then I could fit the complete system with 8 lenses and clothes and safety stuff for a daytrip in the mountains.

(May sound crazy to carry as much as 8 lenses. I have 6 today, and I carry use them all, wouldn't want to leave one at home. I'd like to add a 60mm to fill in the important gap between 47 and 72, and possibly an analog tele above my digital 180mm at about 250-300mm if I find one with sufficient image quality.)

MILESF

+1 for Bruce Laughton and Photobackpacker.com

The problem I had with the biggest f-Stop ICU was not being able to get camera, lens and back into it in one piece. It is fine for individual components but in the field I like to keep the system together if I can. I've got one and am very happy with it.

Mark Dubovoy did a review of the P3 on LuLa not so long ago which is worth reading.

Hi,
with the techno and a sliding back there are not a lot options. Especially with the linhof sliding back. it is 40cm long. And the ICU Large is onle 35 cm high. I need the Xlarge ICU.

@Torger could you shoot a photo of your Satori packed? Thank you.

One idea is the take the ICU large and put the sliding back diagonal inside. diagonal you have something with 43cm. But is there enough space for the techno? I dont know.
With a Large ICU you could use the smaller Loka from Fstop.

Mueller

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I'm a huge fan of Gura Gear's bags. Their new 18L in particular swallows an enormous amount of gear for a small bag, is extremely comfortable to carry and is carry-on compliant. Gura Gear

You can never be too rich, too good looking, or have too many camera bags :)

- N.
Well at least I score on one of the above! :ROTFL:

And Andy's stuff is fairly well battle tested.

Regards,

Bob