The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad CMOS 50 announced

hcubell

I'm a Swedish citizen. Sweden is a very small country and we feel pride of our internationally known companies....

Maybe the rumoured IQ250 will steal the show anyway, we'll see. My guess is that it will be as usual, IQ250 will be substantially better digital back.
You really show your cultural "pride"!

Paul2660

I am sure Phase One will have a followup. and more than likely the same brand of sensor or maybe Dalsa has figured out how to make CMOS in this size.

If you have a Sony chip in the this upcoming Phase, then it's fair to expect:

1. Amazing DR at base iso, same as the Sony 36MP chip in the current A7r and older chip in Nikon D800 family. This should produce impressive files at base iso, (50 I assume) with a 2.75 range or close as this is what you can get with the Nikon.

2. Longer exposures at your whim, no need for special iso 140

3. Possible end of need for sensor plus as again based on current Sony modern high MP chips, you should see iso 1600, easily and possibly 3200 at full resolution.

4. Color issues, CMOS to CCD, maybe, but I don't see that much difference in my work between CMOS (Nikon) and Phase 260

5. 50MP vs 60MP not that great a gap IMO especially if you get Live view on the already excellent Phase One IQ LCD screen

It's fair to say photographers on the fence for a 260, may now postpone any decisions for a while.

Paul Caldwell

fotografz

This is absolutely exciting news!

Cannot wait till Leica announces the CMOS bases S camera :D
I can wait if its anything like the color out of the M240, with banding at 3200.

I'm also not in a huge rush to shell out for another $22,000+ body :eek:

However, I am absolutely sure the next S will be CMOS.

- Marc

ondebanks

Oh, BTW, Dave, it isn't America … it is the United States of America. Canada is also American. So is Mexico and all of South America :roll eyes:

:ROTFL:

- Marc
So when your Presidents begin their addresses with "My fellow Americans,...", they are all wrong, every time? Jeez, you'd think that with all those highly paid advisors and speech writers, the White House would have got it right by now.

Ray

rsmphoto

I can wait if its anything like the color out of the M240, with banding at 3200.

I'm also not in a huge rush to shell out for another $22,000+ body :eek:

However, I am absolutely sure the next S will be CMOS.

- Marc
Maybe by then they will have worked out those issues. I guess those of us who own an M will know first hand as the firmware updates continue to arrive....and maybe they'll lower the price point again. $17k? One can dream!

fotografz

So when your Presidents begin their addresses with "My fellow Americans,...", they are all wrong, every time? Jeez, you'd think that with all those highly paid advisors and speech writers, the White House would have got it right by now.

Ray
But we aren't the one's striving correct anyone … U R ;)

If we don't have the correct word or phrase needed, we make one up … Time magazine's Henry Luce was famous for this … so was Yogi Berra … and even our own Guy Mancusio :ROTFL:

To quote Yogi in my defense … "I really didn't say everything I said."

So, "It ain't over until it's over"

- Marc

fotografz

Maybe by then they will have worked out those issues. I guess those of us who own an M will know first hand as the firmware updates continue to arrive....and maybe they'll lower the price point again. $17k? One can dream!
With 35mm climbing up their backside, it better be something to make it stand out. The S lenses outstrip the sensor as it is, so there is a lot of room for jacking up the resolution … and multipoint AF would be welcome.

$17K is a cotton candy wish and a unicorn dream from Leica … Leica is terminally allergic to anything reasonably priced. They move to a different financial drum beat, and folks keep marching to that beat.

IMO, they kept the price down on the new S because it really wasn't that big of an improvement over the S2 … but if they manage a new 50+ meg CMOS S with Live View (at least on the LCD) I seriously doubt it'll dip below $25K.

Meanwhile … the drum beat is picking up elsewhere.

Interesting times.

- Marc

HenryDove

Interesting news indeed - live-view with Phocus (still Firewire, or USB3 too I wonder? - in-back would be nicer still...), multi-shot capability too, higher ISOs, longer shutter speeds.... it all sounds very enticing. I love the 50 back on my Hasselblad, and the camera/lenses, so the CMOS chip will be very tempting especially if it works well on tech cams (miss my Ebony 45SU's movements and seeing it happen).

Only problem is I'm still paying for my H3D-II 50, I can see why this is Dante's realm! :cry:

Henry

peterv

Hasselblad and Phase can go to high ISO capable CMOS sensors all they want, but their cameras, the way they're built now, are never going to be workable solutions for day-long handheld available light photography. Here the DSLR form factor of the Leica S has the advantage.

IMO, they kept the price down on the new S because it really wasn't that big of an improvement over the S2 … but if they manage a new 50+ meg CMOS S with Live View (at least on the LCD) I seriously doubt it'll dip below $25K.

- Marc
I agree, the difference between the S/S2 was not such a big deal IQ-wise, but a CMOS S with usable 1600 -3200 ISO, 2-3 fps and an extra few accurate AF points would surely make other photographers take notice. Provided color stays as good as it is now.

Last edited:

Shashin

Well, I think I can make a prediction about the Pnetax 645DII. It will have a 50MP CMOS sensor, but a cheaper one than both Hasselblad and Phase...

;)

markymarkrb

Pricing of this will almost be as interesting as the tech specs. A lot of people thought that the D800E pricing didn't justify the cost of an IQ180 but not myself. 80MPs gives you a lot to work with. I am finding that being able to crop and still have a large file is one of the biggest advantages of 80MPs. 50MPs versus the recent 36MP cameras is a tough sale no matter how you look at it without some awesome features. I am hoping that the dynamic range is just incredible among other things.

nikonf

Graham,
I am in total agreement with you. I always preferred the H4D body. I just wish Hasselblad had kept the system open and allowed you to use a PhaseOne back.
All the best,
Mike
No religion from my side. If it takes Sony throwing their hat in the ring with a partner like Hasselblad then it's good all ways around. Heck, my favourite long term camera is an XPan II (I've had three and I'm not selling again!) and that was produced by Fuji but in conjunction with Hasselblad. Ditto the Zeiss and Fuji glass they use. If it works I think all of us will embrace it.

I just want to see a real camera with a real sensor with real software before declaring it nirvana. I'm sure that the Lunar/Stellar was a well intentioned part of the Sony partnership (and Hasselblad cash cow) but it really hurt Hasselblad's credibility IMHO.

(Btw, lest anyone think that I'm an H hater, I would FAR FAR rather gone with an H system for my Phase One backs than the Phamiya DF/DF+. In so many ways it's a better DSLR IMHO)

hcubell

Graham,
I am in total agreement with you. I always preferred the H4D body. I just wish Hasselblad had kept the system open and allowed you to use a PhaseOne back.
All the best,
Mike
Strange. Are you not aware that there are many photographers quite capably still using H1,H2 and H4X bodies with phase one backs?