The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad CMOS 50 announced

From rumors, it appears that Hasselblad made announcement of an announcement which will happen in March. However Phase One will show a working model on Friday, 01/24!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
From rumors, it appears that Hasselblad made announcement of an announcement which will happen in March. However Phase One will show a working model on Friday, 01/24!
Howard will be along to put a positive Hasselblad spin on this in a sec ... :chug:

Strange. Are you not aware that there are many photographers quite capably still using H1,H2 and H4X bodies with phase one backs?
But nothing contemporary such as H3 or H4 (without a trade in) ...

RVB

Howard will be along to put a positive Hasselblad spin on this in a sec ... :chug:

If Hasselblad sold a H4x and H5x without the requirement of a trade in that would sell more glass...

hcubell

OK, the Phase fanboys are about to come out of the woodwork in force. In contrast to others (you KNOW who you are), I am not sitting on the sidelines rooting for one side or another like it's a football game. I am completely brand agnostic. I actually use a Phase One back and quite like it. I also use a Hasselblad H1 camera with it because I find the Phamiya to be an abomination and I want to be able to use leaf shutter lenses that really function as leaf shutter lenses without also triggering a focal plane shutter. I will buy whatever fits my needs best, regardless of whose name is on the box.
If anyone really wanted to buy a Hasselblad H4X, I am absolutely sure he would be able to figure out how to do it. In terms of life's challenges, that is not really up there. However, if you do need help, call Steve Hendrix at Capture Integration. They are also brand agnostic and sell everything.

Last edited:

kdphotography

I hope it's not a repeat where venerable H tried to steal thunder from Phase One's release of the P65+ by making an announcement of their 60MP MFDB which then failed to make an appearance for over a year. Or vice versa.

Quite frankly, I'm more like Graham in a wait and see mode and I'm not as excited over CMOS as others are. I'll wait for the actual working models to get in the hands of photographers. Hey, Graham, two questions: will this be your third MFDB in the Land Rover, and will Dave be delivering the IQ250 to you at CI in Carmel? :ROTFL:

I don't think the "live view" potential of a CMOS sensor is going to be this panacea that so many think it will be. Tethered live view---yes, great on a big monitor. But I don't see how the physical limitation of viewing on a relatively small MFDB screen can be overcome. Live View will probably be better but it is still limited by a small screen on either Phase or Hassy MFDBs. And old eyes (the one's who generally can better afford the latest MFDB) aren't getting any better.

The IQ series screens are still the best in the business. And it wasn't so long ago that everyone was clambering to get one. And as is typical in this new technological age, we've become spoiled into expecting more and more and quick to criticize that which was the cat's meow only a year or two prior. I'm sure that Hassy will offer improved screens as well. But both face the same physical limitations outside of tethering to a larger monitor.

Kudos to Hasselblad and Phase for new offerings in medium format digital. But I'd be much more excited about the release of a new Phase Body than a new CMOS MFDB.

ken

p.s. I think Howard is right about the H4x. It probably is the "best" platform. But for those already invested with glass, you're left with the same dilemma as those that jump from Canon to Nikon. All that glass. So we wait...and wait. :rolleyes: Photokinia anyone? :D

hcubell

Read again. I think they announced that they would be shipping the new camera in March. Before anyone decides how these new CMOS backs stack up, I would suggest getting the full working specs and trying both of them. That's what I would do, but I am brand agnostic.

hcubell

ken

p.s. I think Howard is right about the H4x. It probably is the "best" platform. But for those already invested with glass, you're left with the same dilemma as those that jump from Canon to Nikon. All that glass. So we wait...and wait. :rolleyes: Photokinia anyone? :D
I am also looking forward to the new Phase body. I expect that it will be very well designed. My big concern is whether they will figure out a way to let the leaf shutter lenses work without still triggering the focal plane shutter. I suppose they could release a version without a focal plane shutter.

Paul2660

It's tricky the way the anno was worded as the first paragraph state "will go on sale" in March, but the last line of the anno state, more info on prices will be available.

You have to wonder if on-sale means ability to order, with lead times of 3 to 4 months?

Not in the market so not that concerned. Only Hassy and few closest customers know for sure.

Paul

jlm

Workshop Member
ken:

have you tried the focus with mag feature on the sony and olympus cameras? it is quite confidence building; seems like sony could implement that here as well. not sure how good the LCD is on the blads, of course

hcubell

ken:

have you tried the focus with mag feature on the sony and olympus cameras? it is quite confidence building; seems like sony could implement that here as well. not sure how good the LCD is on the blads, of course
I agree. I have the Sony A7R as well, and the focusing aids are really amazing. For landscape/tripod work, IMO, it is the best. I have been naively assuming that Phase and/or Hasselblad could implement that when they released a CMOS back.

kdphotography

ken:

Only tried it for a few fleeting seconds, and that would be a good feature for many, but my tired eyes still like a larger screen. Btw, I may have worked out a great set-up with the Surface Pro 2 tethered. Ready before CI in Carmel if you sneak out to the west coast!

ken

hcubell

It's tricky the way the anno was worded as the first paragraph state "will go on sale" in March, but the last line of the anno state, more info on prices will be available.

Paul
They probably want to wait on pricing to see where Phase goes with its pricing. Smart move.

jduncan

If any of the cryptic rumors are true, the sensor is a new type of CMOS invented by Sony. We'll see.

Also, on the Hasselblad news release site, there was a photo of a H camera with the headline "The Rumors Are True" … the camera looks like it is all black … but it's difficult to tell from the lighting.

That the new camera will also be offered in Multi-Shot is also quite interesting.

- Marc
I hope it's not black. It will look like any other camera. In person the H5D is a thing of beauty. People like Seymour Cray understood that perfectly. But it will not be a defining point for me I am not a little kid (already loosing hair).

It's surprising the low resolution. If they have used the same technology on the
D800 the resolution will be 72Mpixels ( I guess the chip is 48mm x 36mm or so).

It could be that the new sensor center is per pixel dynamic range and high iso. That is an interesting proposal, not from the marketing perspective (they should rock DxO mark) but from a practical stance, since most of the MF shooters that do not care about lower resolution control the light fully.
Hasselblad do have MS for product and architecture but it's not practical for
landscape.

Let wait and see. They say is going on sale on March. That will be great and could be a reason for ant possible limits in live-view.

Phase one have been very good in restricting Hasselblad access to sensors. They control the blogosphere and the sensor pipeline. This dampers Hasselblad grow potential.

With a level field in terms of sensors, we will stop having a situation of "burro amarrado contra tigre suelto" as we say in spanish.

Notice the PhaseOne do have access to a 50mpixel CMOS new sensor (I guess it's the same).

I hope we get a more dynamic MF space now.

Best regards,

J. Duncan

GrahamWelland

Very keen to see what both Phase One and Hasselblad actually deliver with this new sensor. I'm not in the market for a new back at the moment but a new round of bodies could be of interest and especially if Phase One can deliver a DSLR with some semblance of modern technology and real leaf shutter support to partially catch up with Hasselblad. (Trust me, if I weren't so invested in Phase One lenses I'd have moved to the H system a while ago).

This new sensor really only appeals to me if it supports technical camera use and live view with sufficient quality to focus and adjust tilt/swing untethered in the field. I can however see how it would appeal a lot more to folks needing a more 'dynamic' camera for other uses.

Regarding availability, I always trust in the phrase "When the platinum card drops, the bullshit stops". If they won't take your firm order with a guaranteed delivery date then it's not available.

kdphotography

Regarding availability, I always trust in the phrase "When the platinum card drops, the bullshit stops". If they won't take your firm order with a guaranteed delivery date then it's not available.
Or, it's vaporware until the rear hatch of Graham's Land Rover opens up.

:ROTFL:

GrahamWelland

Well, the cat's out of the bag today. The LuLa live view video certainly looked about 1000% better than the current fuzzy live view. :thumbs:

Now to see what the Hasselblad version looks like ...

ondebanks

Well, I think I can make a prediction about the Pnetax 645DII. It will have a 50MP CMOS sensor, but a cheaper one than both Hasselblad and Phase...

;)
You're absolutely right about that!

Now that the veils have all dropped on the Phase IQ250 and we have some idea of whats really under the hood, I figure that the main customer for this sensor will be Pentax; and that Pentax probably drove its development with Sony, with Phase One and Hasselblad anxiously looking over their shoulder. The 44x33 mm size has pedigree in all three systems, but Pentax are much more hardwired to it than the other two, and they sell far more units of that size.

Ray

RVB

Now that the veils have all dropped on the Phase IQ250 and we have some idea of whats really under the hood, I figure that the main customer for this sensor will be Pentax; and that Pentax probably drove its development with Sony, with Phase One and Hasselblad anxiously looking over their shoulder. The 44x33 mm size has pedigree in all three systems, but Pentax are much more hardwired to it than the other two, and they sell far more units of that size.

Ray
I Wonder if the Leica S can take this sensor.. width is less than current sensor but hight is more by 3mm..

It will be really interesting to compare the files to CCD raws..

jduncan

Ray
Totally agree.
Hasselblad will be putting the sensor in multi shot digital cameras, this will allow them to compite in rational terms even if Pentax and Leica enter the market (cmos medium format) . Now multi shot capabilities are not for all situations. The questions are:

1. Are bigger sensors coming ? (I was hopping a 48 x 36 mm )
2. Will the next generation High resolution cameras from Nikon, Canon and Sony compite?

Best regards,
J. Duncan